Washing a Musto coat

Steerpike

Visit site
I have a Musto coat which I use just for the horses, it gets filthy but it is waterproof so have been loathed to wash it, will it still be waterproof if I wash it, do the re proofers you add to the wash really work? And can anyone recommend a re proofer that does work!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Following because I have exactly the same dilemma. I use nikwax for the horse turnouts but avoid washing them too often as they definitely are never the same once they've been washed and using a reproofer added to the wash has never worked for me. Nikwax tech wash on a low temp is pretty good for the first couple of washes.

Shavings

Visit site
i dont know if it will be any help to you guys but i work for a clothing shop and we advice customers to wash with no fabric softener and in non bio washing powder (the less the better)
as the bio stuff can "eat" at the water proofing that is what the makers tell us any way

HappyDayz

Visit site
I have a musto, about a year old. When I bought it I asked how to wash it. Wash at 30 or 40 with detergent but NO softener. It is still as waterproof as it was when I bought it!

eggs

Visit site
I've been successfully washing my Mustos for over 20 years now. The most important thing is not to use biological washing powder as it will remove the waterproofing.

I wash on their own at 30o with non-bio washing liquid and no fabric softener. Hang up to dry.

quaver

Visit site
I sail a lot and we always say run an empty wash in your washing machine to get rid of the detergent as nothing destroys waterproofing like detergents. Op tonally wash using nikwax or without any detergent at all then do a low heat tumble dry add that helps the waterproofedness (if that's even a word)

GemG

Visit site
I’ve got a Musto Snug coat I’ve had for at least 20 years. I’ve washed it probably 10 times - still waterproof. Don’t know how more modern ones will compare though.

Gosh.. I must be awfully hard on my coats, had a couple of (old style) snug blousons which I'm sure are only showerproof really, washed hundreds of times (literally!) .... not a problem on cool/30 degree with a bit of non bio washing detergent. I have a current sailing style blouson type thing that is waterproof ... again, washed to death but still going strong.. no even colour fade. ... dry so quick too.. That's why I love Musto.

cold_feet

Visit site
Gosh.. I must be awfully hard on my coats, had a couple of (old style) snug blousons which I'm sure are only showerproof really, washed hundreds of times (literally!) .... not a problem on cool/30 degree with a bit of non bio washing detergent. I have a current sailing style blouson type thing that is waterproof ... again, washed to death but still going strong.. no even colour fade. ... dry so quick too.. That's why I love Musto.

Well they’re waterproof -they get the occasional rainwater rinse to help out! I only wear mine when actually riding, so don’t really seem to get dirty (and I’m immune to the smell). 😂