Washing dog beds

windand rain

Visit site
What do you use and how hot to was dog blankets and does it get rid of the doggy smell Does having a particular bed type mean they dont smell. Willow has a fluffy bed which she will just about lie on now. Her crate has a dog mattress with waterproof cover and blankets from the charity shop some are fleece others wool. She loves the wool one. Have vet bed about but her hocks and elbows rub on that

[139672]

Visit site
I wash my dog’s bedding every week. I use the washing liquid for woollen garments but found it made them smell a bit strange so I add a small amount of fabric conditioner (about a teaspoon) with the washing liquid. I buy fleeces so they can be washed and dry quickly. I think it’s more how often you wash them. I buy the actual dog beds from TKMaxx and only buy the ones labelled machine washable. Teddy is a poodle so no hairs, not sure if that makes any difference?

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ours are washed weekly. Dog hair removed with a rubber scraper or brush, then washed with half soap powder and half soda crystals. White vinegar instead of fabric softener and hung out to dry for a good blow on the washing line.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I have a few Biabeds, and I don't think they've ever smelled. When I feel like it ( = not that often), I just pour some rapeseed soft soap on a sponge, scrub off some surface grime, then clean away any soft soap remnants with sponge + water, and dry it with kitchen paper (made from recycled paper), or a towel.

Blankets which is not fleece, vetbeds, and the pillow case in the ratten dog sofa, gets washed when needed ( = much more often than the Biabeds, but lets just say I'm no clean freak), in 50 or 60 degrees, with eco-friendly mild detergent.

Fleece blankets in 30 or 40 degrees, with eco-friendly mild detergent, and maybe up to 2,4 dl of vinegar to deal with any bad smell.

ETA I have spitzes, which doesn't smell that much wet dog even when wet, so the little discrete smell of dog I might sometime smell when I throw a blanket in the washing machine, only makes me want to keep that blanket unwashed.

Last edited:

Andie02

Visit site
What do you use and how hot to was dog blankets and does it get rid of the doggy smell Does having a particular bed type mean they dont smell. Willow has a fluffy bed which she will just about lie on now. Her crate has a dog mattress with waterproof cover and blankets from the charity shop some are fleece others wool. She loves the wool one. Have vet bed about but her hocks and elbows rub on that

I use Tuffies beds and Tuffies covers and an extra fleece blanket for each dog. I wash the covers and blankets with Nikwax Rugwash at 40 degrees and give them at least a couple of main washes and several rinses and no smells. Only clean the durasoft bed once a year when weather is warm again using Nikwax Rugwash, the wipe clean beds can be wiped over anytime as dry quickly. With using Rugwash there should be no risk of any skin irritations.

Unlike Mrs Mozart I haven't gone nose blind ! Lol

D66

Visit site
I have given up on the foam filled with removable cover dog beds as replacing the cover after washing often resulted in damage to the foam and anyway the dog chewed them.
She now has a wipeable plastic bed with a small washable mattress thingy and a fleece blanket which both go in the wash most weeks. Usually 40 degrees with standard liquid detergent. Occasionally I'll use a sport wash detergent which has an antibacterial in it.
The dog smells return as soon as she is in it again.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I use the waterproof washable beds, cover goes in the machine with bio powder and then line dried. Cushion can go in as well. Never the drier as it disintegrates the lining! They come out pretty fresh, and I don't actually get round to washing them too often.
However my rough collie has long hair (obviously) and I find longhaired dogs seem to smell less anyway.

windand rain

Visit site
Thanks everyone so pretty muc its a dog thing. I am certainly not nose blind and our house is quite small so it is obvious especially as none of the family have pets. Willow is an old labrador and has a proper waterproof coat so guess it is the natural oils that make her smell

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks everyone so pretty muc its a dog thing. I am certainly not nose blind and our house is quite small so it is obvious especially as none of the family have pets. Willow is an old labrador and has a proper waterproof coat so guess it is the natural oils that make her smell

And Brandy is old and a bit more smelly, she has a fleece underblanket on her overnight bed, you can wash it at 60, But tbh I rarely do!

DressageCob

Visit site
I wash my big fluffy dog bed (one of those fluffy doughnut ones) on duvet setting, 30 degrees, with non-bio liquid and blue fabric softener and it always comes out lovely.

Visit site
Do you have a dedicated washing machine for pet beds? I use one machine for all washing and wonder about how badly the pipes are clogged with dog hair!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have a bed from TK Max, says machine washable and I was amazed that it came out perfect. I think I used ordinary Eco washing liquid and put that disinfectant stuff in the final rinse compartment. I dried it over the Rayburn in the kitchen and it didn't smell. I have an Orvis bed too and that is a bit of palaver to wash as the outside cover comes off.

I wash the blankets in the dog crate about once a week.

Lintel

Visit site