Washing rugs in washing machine

GinaB

Visit site
How do I go about this without wrecking the machine? I've two rugs I need to wash, a fleece type and a waffle one. I'm loathe to buy a rug bag to wash it in but I'm scared of the clips breaking my machine.

Boxers

Visit site
Will it fit inside a pillowcase?

Also it needs space to move about otherwise it won't be washed properly. If it fills the whole drum then it's too big. You shouldn't load your machine fuller than level with the top of the opening.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You can't beat an orange rug/numnah bag IMO.

OR......... to save your poor washing machine, have the job done professionally. Consider the cost of repairing your washing machine if you wreck it doing rugs :(

OR..... do what we all do and slink into the nearest laundrette and hope to god the attendant (if there is one) doesn't notice what you're up to :)

pec

Visit site
OR ........... you can do what we do and use a cement mixer. Cost about £140 new for electric, if you have access to a bucket full of hot water you can easy do one while you are doing other jobs. Do up the buckles and wash inside out to help stop rug from wrapping round the paddles. If you are not using the cement mixer to mix concrete, you can always take an angle grinder to the back of the paddles.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Not a problem with this one, all my fleeces, numnahs, polypads all go in my washing machine, do up all buckles/ fastenings first, girths, I put into a net wash bag, but it doesn't stop the noise, my washer is an 8kg load so won't take my TO rugs, which I jet wash over a fence when weather permits.
After doing rugs/ muddy stuff, I do put the washer through a rinse/spin cycle empty and clear the filter, so far no problems

honetpot

Visit site
I always put rugs,girths, numnahs, nylon head collars, hay nets in my washing machine. I do sometimes put the girths in a trainer wash bag. Just make sure you empty the filter.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I just whack them in haha

makes a lovely clunking sound but my machine hasnt broke yet! Been trying to kill it for the past twelve months as i want a new one, but no luck so far! xD

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just whack them in haha

makes a lovely clunking sound but my machine hasnt broke yet! Been trying to kill it for the past twelve months as i want a new one, but no luck so far! xD

I do too. The main thing to remember is to wait until you mum/ husband isn't around as they appear to think one wash will kill the machine!
I've been using the house machine since I was a kid, never broken one yet. I do put a rinse wash on after and give it a good wipe around if it's hairy but no ones ever mentioned anything!
I have however just bought a second machine off eBay for £10.50 which is going to live in the shed specially for horse stuff :) this makes me weirdly pleased! ;)

Equi

Visit site
DONT.

I just had a panic attack when i washed a numnah in the machine and it basically died. Please leave it to a washer, normal machines are not built to cope.

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
As someone who runs a rug washing service, I would advise having turnouts done professionally. When doing them in domestic machines (as I used to in the past before taking on the business) they usually don't drain well because of the type of material, puts extra strain on the drums when it's trying to spin and won't necessarily clean it as well as an industrial machine would.

BUT I have washed my own fleeces, coolers and light stable rugs in domestic machines. I used the neoprene girth washing buckle guards, cut a slit in the closed end and slide it over the surcingle strap, do the strap up and pull it back over to cover the buckle. same with the breast buckles, you can get them both through one cover. Check filters after a wash, run an empty rinse cycle and then run a cloth or wet wipe around the inside of the drum to remove any hair. Always do up Velcro straps, when they stick on to other fabric they can cause an awful lot of damage during the cycle. And always use non bio!

PS - pressure washing turnouts is the best way to remove their waterproofing qualities - speaking from my own experience of trying to do it on the cheap a few years ago.