Washing Saddlecloths?

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
Does anyone have an innovative way to wash saddlecloths? I'm off to Adult camp on Wednesday, and won't have time to get to my rug washing lady or a horse friendly laundrette and I'm not a massive fan of washing them in my washing machine! I have a "horse hair catching bag" but I still find 10000 black fairs stuck to my clothes in the washes that follow!

Any ideas?

dornrose

Visit site
I Hoover mine before putting them in our machine and then if there's still loads of hairs I either run an empty wash or do the towels or bed linen afterwards.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Have you got a power washer?
I used to wash and repair up to 250 rugs a year using one, it's harder work than a washing machine of course but does get them clean, just be careful it's not set too high on pressure or you may blow a hole in it. Good for blasting the hair and grime out,especially round the binding and along the polypropylene webbing.
Once done just chuck it in your washing machine to finish it off.

springtime1331

Visit site
I just give mine a good brush off with the dandy brush before washing. I never find too many hairs, it could be because I do mine after every few rides so they aren't ever that hairy. Some people on my yard have the most bogging saddle cloths - with welded on sweat and hairs. Gross!!

GinaB

Visit site
Take the worse of the hair off (I use a grooming stone) then Hoover followed by the washing machine.
After washing dog beds or horse stuff, I put an old fleece through the wash which catches any hairs.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My OH looked perplexed at this conundrum, he has been well trained that saddle cloths go in the machine;)

Actually in summer when they need washing all the time I don't know how you have enough numnahs to keep going to a washing service.

I wash then wipe the machine out with a cloth, then wash an outdoor article such as a jacket, before washing work clothes or delicates. Everything that fits goes in, including horse boots, brushes, numnahs, fly sheets, summer sheets. I only have one horse and there must be 2-3 washes a week in summer.

TBH as long as I wipe the machine out we get more fur in our clothes from the German Shepherd Dog than from horse washing.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Well all you excessively clean people will probably think I'm disgusting! :biggrin3: OP I wash my numnahs on the yard with hose, shampoo and dandy brush at the beginning and end of summer. Brush hair off with a rubber curry comb first. I cant be the only person who brushes their horse so the numnahs don't get that dirty :confused3:

ponydi

Visit site
I wash them pretty well every time they're used, so they don't get the chance to build up much hair. You can always put them inside an old pillowcase

khalswitz

Visit site
I will admit that mine are usually pretty grubby by the time I wash them... I use a curry comb then a dandy brush to get all the hair off the underside, then stick it in one of those hair catcher bags to wash in the machine. never had a problem.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I wash every second ride , every ride if it's hot so not many hairs. Hubby fussed a bit about the fly veils going in the washer last night but I reminded him they are for health reasons and he was ok.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Brush excess hair off and pop them in a warm bucket of water and washing powder, leave to soak a couple of hours, rinse, wring out and sry in the sun. I don't do hairs in the machine. It's either the above or send them to the rug wash.

maletto

Visit site
I give them a spin in the dryer on a low heat before washing-the hair all sticks to the filter and can be pulled off easily

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
I wash mine every use or every other use. Brush with a dandy brush and go over with a lint roller if they're particularly hairy and then chuck in the machine. I've never had problems with hair sticking to clothes in the next wash - even after I've washed rugs!

Turks

Visit site
I like those big orange washbags. Can't think what they're called but look after machine and keep hubby off my back.