Wasp nest removal?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Just discovered, too late, a feed sack full of bridles contains a wasps nest! I've been lucky and got away with just 5 stings but hell, does it hurt. Ive looked online to see how to remove them safely but there are also plenty of warnings (mostly from the pest professionals tbf) not to attempt it yourself. Anyone suggest how to get rid? I can't even move the damned sack. I haven't a bee suit or anything like that for protection either! Do I just call Rentokill?

Clodagh

Visit site
It will cost you a fortune! If you can afford it get a pro, but my OH does all of ours, just using over the counter wasp killer. Do it in the dark though and wear as much clothing as possible.

And ouch, poor you.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
We have just had 2 nests destroyed in the roof and it was over £100. If you do it yourself wait until it's dusk before you go near them but having seen just how angry the little bleeders become I wouldn't even attempt it.

AFB

Visit site
I'm not certain what time of year it was but when I had one in my office our local removal people advised to leave alone as it wouldn't be long until the nest was dormant and could be safely removed ourselves. I think it was August but could have been September. Try and find someone that will give you a bit of advice first rather than send you a whopping bill!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We called out a pro to one in the roof, and all he used was ant powder. Since then OH just waits until dark then puts ant powder at the entrance to the nest (without blocking it as that does make them mad). All nests have been quick gone since. He does not have to touch the actual nest, just the bit where they land to crawl in.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ouch.

We've zapped a few nests at home ourselves, and so far never been stung while doing it. The over-the-counter wasps nest aerosols let you stand a fair way away from the nest while you aim the jet of foam inside it. You do need to do it after dark when the wasps should all be asleep in the nest, and it helps if the nest entrance is clearly visible so that you can direct the foam straight into it.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Please do it yourself its total waste of money getting someone else in. So Put wasp killer powder or foam at the entrance of the hole. Try to do this on night or very early on a morning when they are not flying. like others say wear as much protective clothing as possible. Once you have done that don't go any where near for 24hr hours. There maybe a few stragglers. then repeat process and this time block the entrance. Wasp hurt like hell compared to bees poor you

turnbuckle

Visit site
Wouldn't go near it.

Have known two people who suddenly moved from no real sensititivity to wasps (OW and no more) to full blown shock reaction, ambulance job. One nearly died. Pros for me every time. Money well spent.

deb_l222

Visit site
Oh my days, if I'd been stung 5 times I would probably be on a drip in hospital!! You have my utmost sympathy.

I managed to sort mine out myself - I had wasps in the cavity of the house because I'm too idle to get the pointing done. I bought some fabulous stuff from Wilco, foam wasp spray. It was a bit tricky getting it in the small holes but as they fly in they take in to the nest and kill everyone inside as well.

The spraying was quite hysterical though - I looked a bit like a professional fencer. Leap forward, quick squirt, then leap back and hopefully not get stung. Once the activity had ceased, only took 24 hours, I blocked up the holes with polyfilla. Job done and they haven't come back.

Personally speaking I think it's been a bumper year for wasps this year. As soon as I stand still in the woods with the dogs, they're all over the place. I got stung last week but it must have been a baby because my hand only swelled for a couple of days and I didn't need to take any daft medication.

Be careful whatever you decide - wasps are the work of the devil!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
The nest will become dormant quite soon. I have a big one in my field shelter and it's already very quiet but I do see the odd worker going in and out. The queen stops secreting pheromone so the workers wander off and bother picnics instead! Are you able to leave the sack where it is for a month or so?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Well, OH has been out and zapped the sack with some Raid. He managed to spray and seal it with only one sting - luckily the weather has gone quite chilly this evening. I'd have left them alone only I need some bits from the sack to make up a bridle for bitting the new pony. Admittedly not the ideal storage solution for leatherwork but it was a temporary measure while some building work is being done...never again! We suspect there may be at least one more nest in the box so will have a VERY careful look tomorrow. Thanks all for the advice!

holeymoley

Visit site
That’s good you’ve got it, hopefully that’s finished them off.

I’ve had 2 in the stable this year. One in a welly which was stored in the apex of the stable 🤨 and then 2 weeks later another in more or less the same spot. Good spray of foam wasp killer and it sorted them out. Got the queen and her eggs! There is a prime time of the day to do it but I’m not sure when, I think it’s late evening but not sure.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just discovered, too late, a feed sack full of bridles contains a wasps nest! I've been lucky and got away with just 5 stings but hell, does it hurt. Ive looked online to see how to remove them safely but there are also plenty of warnings (mostly from the pest professionals tbf) not to attempt it yourself. Anyone suggest how to get rid? I can't even move the damned sack. I haven't a bee suit or anything like that for protection either! Do I just call Rentokill?

Prob be around £ 30 - £40 to remove or kill the wasps - that is what it cost me recently with our two nests. He charged me £ 40 for the first one then 2 weeks late I found the second and £ 30 for the second one One in the ground - the other on our bungalow under the gutter, and I got suspicious as I kept finding wasps flying round
the conservatory

The ones who did not get away in bottom picture

20180717_174731_zpswfpsqv0x.jpg

20180731_105120_zpsxs32totz.jpg

Last year I found one in my horsebox in my late mares rug, I sprayed the horse area and grabbed the cross surcingle and ran out the lorry dragging the rug behind me = not one sting and one nest spread across the back yard.

did the same with a bale of hay, clipped a lead rope on it and ran dragging it upside down = one splattered nest

If I find one I always get the pro in - otherwise more wasps bigger problem so like to reduce the numbers if I can.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Don't do what my uncle did.... he thought it would be a really good idea to destroy a wasps' nest with dynamite.

The wasps disagreed and he got stung. A lot.

He sounds like a well balances indivdual...now where did I put my dynamite?

tda

Visit site
We used to get them in our old garage , now they build the domes in one of the shelters, rightly or wrongly I've left them alone, ponies still go in there 🙄
Never been stung yet tho, might change my mind if I do 😐

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The problem with leaving them alone when they nest in or around houses is that they produce so many queens and those queens will return to the same area the following year. We had one nest in the roof the first year we moved in and now have at least 3 or 4 a year so while I don't like killing anything any wasps nest on the property now gets destroyed.

Woah

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't touch myself having heard a horrifying story from a friend who disturbed a nest in her garden (they were still stinging her in the shower after she had bolted into the house to try and escape!), and witnessed another accidental disturbance by a child who ended up with 25 stings!
August is the worst month for wasps to sting and once one stings a pheromone is released from it which attracts other wasps. I'd definitely rather pay £40 than risk it or else just wait another's month for that piece of tack when they'll be gone!!!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I will not leave a nest - it only takes one sting to give pony - horse or donkey a anaphylactic shock and vet visit will follow - leaving the nest means more next year. Also leaving wasps nest makes more wasps to kill the honey bees, they go into honey bee nest and kill them all to get honey, my farrier lost two honey bee Beehive recently to wasps.

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
Spring 2017 I discovered some just waking up dozy queens in my horsebox living we fumigated it and killed 30 queens. Some had woken and gone. Last year definitely less nests. This year we have destroyed 2 nests within 30 ft of back door. Next door has 2 nests at least so I need to speak to them and either we will kill them or they will kill them. There is another nest in some shrubbery on the bank which I am going to get a professional in to deal with. I am allergic and have ended up in A&E before. I am currently taking prophylactic anti-histamines (Cetrizine) so If I get stung the drugs are already in me and will be topped up with Piriton quickly afterwards. I also have Epi-pens. There is only one type of good wasp and that is a dead one.

Casey76

Visit site
I have about 9 nests in my field shelter, ranging from walnut size to small tea plate size.

They aren’t bothering me, and I’m not bothering them.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have about 9 nests in my field shelter, ranging from walnut size to small tea plate size.

Maybe you would feel different if one of your animals got stung by one - started shaking and trembling all over walking round in circles in their stables, dribbling from their mouth like foam, then running round the field as if they were disorientated, calling the vet and their temperature was sky high - anaphylactic shock.

D66

Visit site

We had two wasps nests in the roof and one outside the kitchen window, at this time of year the ones in the roof come into our bedroom through the light fitting and hide in warm comfortable places like dressing gown sleeves and under the duvet. OH and I have both been stung this year and I am becoming more allergic. I get rid of wasps nests in the house, if I tried that with the ones in the field I wouldn't have time to go to work! In the garden near the bee hives we have a fake wasp nest that's supposed to deter new colonies setting up nearby - the jury is out on it's efficacy.
We have hornets in the field too.

Casey76

Visit site
Maybe you would feel different if one of your animals got stung by one - started shaking and trembling all over walking round in circles in their stables, dribbling from their mouth like foam, then running round the field as if they were disorientated, calling the vet and their temperature was sky high - anaphylactic shock.

Well it's not as if they bother the horses either, who are quite happy to use the shelter, even with the wasps inside.

I've always found wasps to be fairly placid, as long as you don't have a conniption if they fly up to you.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Which they are as long as you don't accidentally disturb their nest. I literally only picked up the sack and they flew out and were stinging hell for leather before I even realised they were there. They can be very aggressive at this time of year and it's a different kettle of fish when they're feeling territorial.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well it's not as if they bother the horses either, who are quite happy to use the shelter, even with the wasps inside.

I've always found wasps to be fairly placid, as long as you don't have a conniption if they fly up to you.

Fair enough if you want to take that risk but me I won't after one of mine went through an allergic reaction and the vet said it could have been fatal. Horses are inquisitive and only need to swish their tails or rub near it to upset the swarm.

I am not taking that risk as it is the second of my animals to get stung.

After I was told that we have some foreign wasps one from Africa who are more aggressive and will attack very easily, so you can never be sure they won't. There has been an abundance according to this wasp person and since thousands of wasps are in one nest - he is doing about 10 - 15 wasps nests a day - leaving them is out the question in my book, as seeing M in the state she was in was a horrific experience I hope never to go through again.
Good luck I hope you won't regret it.

Last edited: