Wasting my pony?

tb gal

Visit site
I have had my mare for 7 years. After a shaky start we have done Trec, showing and dressage withsome suscess including winiimg affliated BD and qualifying 2 years on the trot for BD native championship. But my real love is long distance. I tried this diasastously when i first bought pony who went into s manic melt down hence shaky start. Tried 2 pleasure rides this year, pony perfectly happy. I loved it, felt so happy. With dresage i get incredibly stressed at competitions. My plan is pleasure rides until early autumn then move onto competatitive. But...am i wasting her? I have spent so long schooling and developing her for dressage but im not great at it and dont enjoy the competitions . Loved the rides!

Shay

Visit site
Horses have no concept of being "wasted". They only know about being happy in the moment, being safe and being cared for. No horse lopes around the field thinking "Oh no.. I could be at .. insert name of suitable championship here.." Care for your horse, provide for their basic needs. After that - they actually don't care!

The only caveat I would add is don't try to force your horse toward a disipline you want but they don't. Some horses are really just not suited to some disciplines. But as long as you and your horse are happy - you are absolutely not "wasting" them.

HeyMich

Visit site
Just think about the time taken to school her as bonding time, and you both getting to know each other in a stronger way. You can now use that deeper relationship in your next adventure together. Sounds naff I know, but I'm not sure how else to put it! Have fun together, whatever you chose to do x

silv

Visit site
No you are not wasting her, you are both enjoying yourselves and that is what it is all about.

All your dressage training will have made her a much nicer balanced ride for your long distance/pleasure rides.

I am having slightly the same dilemma, having shown at county level for the past season with my mare doing very well bringing her up to open level in all sections. I enjoy it but don't see the sense in plugging on doing another season.
I really enjoy doing trail rides and treks as does my mare, so next season we will be focusing on our dressage (Medium) and trekking. Its quite funny as I get lots of comments about taking a dressage horse trail riding, but she is fit, loves it is great to ride and is always placed in the first three in the rides I have done.

tb gal

Visit site
Thank you all. I do worry about lots of things as a born worrier. She is a little star and I suppose it's partly having concentrated so hard on dressage which she is good at that makes me feel a bit like giving it up is a bit defeatist. But it's taken me so long to understand how to balance her, feel her falling out of in etc. I like schooling but don't like the level of contact required to get the right outline. The dressage shows I don't enjoy it's just a flood of relief when I come out of The arena.
Bobnotacob your comment made me giggle. I was told dressage could be snobby. I haven't found that in fact people tend to be quite nice BUT I mentioned this to one lady at a competition and she said I was the few fellow competitors who had stopped for a chinwag with her at a show. I suspect this is because most people are too busy stressing and being miserable to pass the time of day!
Husbands view is to keep doing shows as well as rides so she doesn't associate trailer with lots of work.we did do a local show last month in hand and ridden which was okay but she loved it. She likes routine and knowing what to do.

Im hoping to also go back to competitive trec which we both enjoyed but now worrying that doing long distance on faster marked routes might adversely affect map reading on slower trec routes where you need to slow so you can check where you are. You see I like a good worry!

windand rain

Visit site
It is a concept foreign to me, horses and ponies live to eat, sleep, groom each other and in some cases interact with humans beyond that they really dont care much. They do not aspire to being olympic competitors its humans that inflict that on them so as long as said horse is well cared for just enjoy what ever you want to do. Even if it means it never leaves its home

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I think we are all guilty of feeling down and like we are “wasting” our beloved ponies now and then. I know I often feel this way in the depths of winter when I’m struggling to ride in the dark after work and the thought of jumping higher than a tiny cross pole brings me out in a cold sweat.

My mare has had a blast jumping 85cm with a friend on her but who brings her polos and carrots and gives her a good scratch on her favourite spot? Me.

Your horse doesn’t know it’s potential, all it knows is it has a human who loves and looks after them and provides them with hay and grass (the last two being all my mare cares about anyway!).

Stop thinking about what you should be doing, and just do what you want to do (as long as pony also enjoys it as someone else posted above).

tda

Visit site
If you are happy, horse will be happy! To do Trec well, you need a degree of schooling 🙂 have fun, life is too short not to x

Griffin

Visit site
As other posters have said, a horse doesn't have a concept of being 'wasted', so I wouldn't worry. I think horses should be schooled for their own benefit (and the rider's), irrespective of whether they compete. Good schooling helps you to know that your horse will listen to you out hacking and keep both of you safe. Also, good schooling helps to build muscles to enable your horse to move properly. It's a bit like going to the gym/walking/running, you don't necessarily go because you want to be an Olympic level athlete, you go to develop your fitness for day to day life and mental well-being.

oldie48

Visit site
As other posters have said, a horse doesn't have a concept of being 'wasted', so I wouldn't worry. I think horses should be schooled for their own benefit (and the rider's), irrespective of whether they compete. Good schooling helps you to know that your horse will listen to you out hacking and keep both of you safe. Also, good schooling helps to build muscles to enable your horse to move properly. It's a bit like going to the gym/walking/running, you don't necessarily go because you want to be an Olympic level athlete, you go to develop your fitness for day to day life and mental well-being.
Totally agree with this. The better schooled the horse is, the safer and nicer it is to hack and the longer it will stay supple and sound. that's been my experience anyway!

tb gal

Visit site
Hello to clarify its the competative side or to be precise not competing in dressage and showing that i worry might be a waste of pony. I enjoy schooling for its own sake and agree that a pony you can leg yield or full pass from approching herds of cycle riders or rurn on the forehand and reinback ay gates os very useful..she loves trec obstacles and has done well.in this including nat champs but realistically can only do a few this year as so blooming far away.

oldie48

Visit site
I didn't compete Bisto although he was working at med/adv med at home and had qualified for HOYS when he was younger. I don't think he was wasted in the slightest tbh I suspect he was rather relieved (if he'd been capable of thinking that way!) You are lucky enough to have a multi talented pony, so you can do just what you want to do. I didn't compete Bisto because we were both very anxious in the warm up.

Desert_rider

Visit site
Horses are meant to be enjoyable. If you don't enjoy the dressage competitions then don't do them.

Like previous posters have said, a horse has no concept of being wasted and if you and him are enjoying the pleasure rides, thats what riding is all about.

BOWS28

Visit site
Horses are meant to be enjoyed. And doing things that stress you out means neither of you are enjoying it!! My current mare used to show jump to a high level and she really lights up in an arena away from home.
I have worked tirelessly on her schooling and she now works at elem level at home. Although, i don't enjoy competing as much as i used to and quite frankly, can't afford to do it very much!! For her sake i hire arenas and school away from home a couple of times a month and this means that when we do go out to compete, it's not mind blowing for her (or me!!)
Then again, i wouldn't be upset if i never competed again!! All i care about is that my pony is happy and healthy and we are enjoying whatever we fancy doing that day!!

Hack4fun

Visit site
As others have said, of course not. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise - and there may be such people on yards. If you are your pony are happy then it doesn't matter what you do. The dressage schooling will not be wasted on the pleasure rides, and pleasure rides and general hacking teach more skills than those recognised in the dressage arena.