water butt - slight problem

louisevictoria

Visit site
When we moved to our new place all of the stable block was already sorted, with a water butt at the end, collecting the rainwater from the roof.
Unfortunately it is one of the big square, transparent ones and in direct sunlight so the water is now starting to go slightly green
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Is there anything I can do to stop this or is it a case of, every couple of weeks empty it completely and give it a good blast with the pressure washer?

Help please

girla

Visit site
What about if you were to wrap the out side with a dark sheet or something to keep the sun light of it. Other than that i suppose a fortnightly jet wash

Rainbowrider

Visit site
I have a "mains" tap, and a "rain water" tap in my yard. The rain water comes off the roof and into a tank like yours with a pipe and a tap. The tank is sealed though, to stop leaves etc getting in it, and it is in a shady area under trees.

Maybe if you covered your tank with a board or big sheet of plastic it would keep the sun off it and stop it going green? Maybe painting the outside of the tank would work? Just an idea..

louisevictoria

Visit site
thanks for your replies - I have a filter at the end of the pipe to stop leaves etc getting into it but it is looking like I will have to get it covered (painting it isn't an options as it has frame/cage around it

xena_wales

Visit site
They're called IBCs, and you can get them in black too - have a look on ebay. The black ones are supposed to stop the water going green.

Or you can take it out of the cage to paint it - there's probably two bars going across the top that can be unscrewed, then the tank will lift out of the cage.