== Water jump held needed == XC

cj-123

New User
Visit site
my horse is only 5 and he has been schooling a few times but im having a problem getting him into the water. he hasnt done anything previously as was a race horse and he goes in puddles and is great to bath/hose.
The first time i took him i didnt have a lead so had to get off and lead him in then i got back on and he was great jumped in and was fine i then took him to another venue few weeks later and he would not go in .

He only seems to want to go in if i get off and lead him to assure him but i carnt do this if i am at a competition.

any help,ideas or advice appreciated !

Flashpaddler

Visit site
There's no quick answer, it's just a matter of lots of patience and giving him the time to learn something new. Get him to as many different training venues as you can and bring him on slowly and gently.

Leading him through is fine but I'd then want him to walk in on his own once he's found it's crocodile free!

Batgirl

Visit site
To me you missed the middle step that my friend di with hers, lead him in, then get someone to lead him in with you on top, then make him go on his own. I would take him somewhere with a spare pair of hands and get someone to lead him in with you on top.

kerilli

Visit site
i'd go where there's going to be a gang of other horses being ridden, and exploit his herd instinct, at least the first few times. get them all to go through and leave him till last, then follow them through a length or so behind. herd instinct should win over temporary worry about getting tootsies wet. then they all go through and they all wait on the other side and you go through to them, alone. repeat a few times. then ideally you go and jump other stuff, then come back to the water and try it alone (but with someone on a horse close by to give you a lead if necessary).
i did the first few stages of this the other day with Daisy, recommencing it tomorrow, hope it works!

Missadelaide

Visit site
I would agree with the others, slowly but surely is the way forward.
I have a 6yr old welton bred mare that SHOULD like water as both parents were advanced eventers, however, try telling her that! She doesn't like water jumps, puddles or streams either!

I started by taking her xc schooling and then having my instructor present to help that bit further. Unfortunately, there is no easy remedy, just time and patience!

Good luck :)

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Do you have a Ford near by? we luckily have the Lawford Ford through the River Avon large hard bottomed Ford that varies in depth great for getting them used to water.

Chaos

Visit site
Personally...

Walk, walk, walk until she is absolutely confident. Find a good water, not sure where you are but Boomerang is handy. Walk in and out every possible route until she is absolutely bored. Then when you feel she is 100%, go out up a small step, always go out before you start stepping in.

Bonus if you have other horses around to follow in and out.

The above I picked up from lucinda Green, and uses it in clinics from babys to experenced advanced horses.

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Repetition repetition repetition. I have the same problem and the horse is getting better but I am going to different XC courses twice a week at the moment.

lauraandjack

Visit site
I think trust between you and your horse is important as well.

Like the others have said practice practice practice and start small.

But your relationship with the horse is also important, if the horse trusts you that it will be OK they will go into almost anything.