Water to paddock solutions?

GSSeffie

Visit site
A friend and I have just had our ponies moved from a huge herd field to a smaller paddock because they are both PITAs to catch. They now catch like a dream, however having previously relied on a mains fed water trough in the field, topping up the water trug has become the PITA! Paddock is quite a distance from the tap, so its currently a lug 80 buckets of water up & down the hill situation. Anyone ever come up with a genius solution that I've not heard of??

saalsk

Visit site
Having had a field on the edge of a livery yard, where there was no running water, and the options were to wheelbarrow buckets/tubs of water across 2 other fields, to get to mine....

I brought 4 large dustbins, and ordered asked OH to make a small wooden frame that would hold them. We sited it against a hedge, by the road, and by putting a water butt in the back of the car, full of water, and using a length of hose, I could take down 120 litres of water per day, to fill the butts.

This does require you to have a vehicle that will hold an upright water butt, and a field that allows access in some way. I did try the plastic H2Go bag, that holds 100 litres, but jeez, the weight of the barrow to push it was beyond me !

Iris1995

Visit site
I have a 250l tank in a small trailer and use a 12v bilge pump (£15 off Amazon) and the old car battery that I use for the electric fence to pump it out Into three troughs. Really easy and no lifting.

Nasicus

Visit site
How far are we talking? We use a few long, cheapy hosepipes to get water about 100m away from the nearest tap. If your water pressure is decent enough (ours isn't great but acceptable), you could probably get away with going further. We just use hose to hose connectors to connect the hoses. Only cheap Idro Mat yellow ones from screwfix, but so far they've lasted several years, probably because they don't get moved at all.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I have used the H2Go in the past, which is fine, but a fellow livery has this barrel that he fills with water, it then goes on it's side and it has a metal handle which he pulls along and the barrel rolls along the ground. It's an actual thing rather than something he mocked up but I have no idea what it's called - does anyone know what I'm on about? I think if I needed to hump water around again I would get one of those.

teddypops

Visit site
I have used the H2Go in the past, which is fine, but a fellow livery has this barrel that he fills with water, it then goes on it's side and it has a metal handle which he pulls along and the barrel rolls along the ground. It's an actual thing rather than something he mocked up but I have no idea what it's called - does anyone know what I'm on about? I think if I needed to hump water around again I would get one of those.
I have seen caravaners use those, don’t know what their official name is though.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Just get a 25mm pipe mole drilled from the water supply to your field. Then you have a permanent supply. All it involves is digging a 3 foot hole at each end and then getting a tractor with a mole drill to run through first then tying the pipe on to the end of the mole drill and pulling it through the ground. Does not take long at all.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We don't have water in our fields, only at the very top so we use hoses, a lot of them joined together and then big barrels in the paddocks. Just have to make sure that if frost is forecast we have topped up all the containers in advance.