Water

horselover3107

Visit site
Hi guys, I go to my loan horses on my bike. A requirement is bringing water. We have 3 big aquarolls but i can only bring them when my parents take me in the car (im under 18). I cant bring a lot of water on my bike but was wondering if there is any way around bringing more water than 3 x 2l bottles filled of water in my backpack.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have no water at my place (saving to get it connected). Currently we have a very lovely neighbour who lets me run a hose from their house about once a week and fill a IBC (1000lt) container up. It works really well for us.

Water butts would be a good idea. I've bucketed water out of a stream at one place I had ponies for a while too.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi guys, I go to my loan horses on my bike. A requirement is bringing water. We have 3 big aquarolls but i can only bring them when my parents take me in the car (im under 18). I cant bring a lot of water on my bike but was wondering if there is any way around bringing more water than 3 x 2l bottles filled of water in my backpack.
Not read the other answers but - Also could you not ask if you could have a water butt, to one of the stables and that way you could have your own free water. When it rains of course, can't see the yard owner would mind, unless there are no stables or shelters to get the rain water from. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275141081542?hash=item400fafb9c6:g:stMAAOSwqh5h8sKj

What about one of these in a bike trailer, they are blow so should not be heavy https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Water+Containers&s=price-desc-rank&page=2&qid=1643712771&ref=sr_pg_2

Melody Grey

Visit site
We used to use IBCs mounted ontrailers when we didn’t have running water. Is there any chance your parents/ horses owner could help with that?
Water is heavy and a lot of bother to be moving by hand!
Could a local farmer bring you a bowser for a fee?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Why would the owner of the loan horse put such a ridiculous condition on the loan agreement ?? For heavens sake, this is a young girl without her own transport. I wouldn't dream of asking this. If they were an adult with transport, then fair enough (tho ibstill think it's a big ask) I would ask them to carry out duties (along with lots of love and cuddles) that were within their capabilities. The owner put the horses in this field knowing very well there's no water and is now putting this balls ache on others. Good Lord whatever next ?

meleeka

Visit site
I’m guessing it’s a full loan so it’s only the OP looking after the horse. It’s like this with most of the rented fields near me. Before i had mains water I collected water from the shelter roof or had enough water containers so they lasted a week. It doesn’t have to be an aqua roll if you can fill easily at home and use a wheelbarrow when you get to the field.

Muddywellies

Visit site
OP. Is it your own field (either owned or rented) ? Is the horse full loan or part loan? How involved are the horse's owners?

Last edited:

NLPM

Visit site
Is it just you at the yard/field or is there someone you could pair up with, so you take extra water to do their horses' troughs too when you're in the car and they do yours on the days when you're on the bike? Or could you even fill from their troughs on the days you're cycling? I'm guessing not as you're asking on here, but thought I'd ask anyway!

Rainwater and an IBC/water butt would be a good solution... That way you always have 'spare' water if you suddenly need to wash a wound/your hands etc. or a bucket gets knocked over.

If there's nowhere you could fix guttering (a field shelter roof would be ideal but even a fence line would help you get something when it rains), is there somewhere you could store and fill a container so that it lasts longer between car trips? I use this kind of thing for shows - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383385725292?hash=item594391e96c:g:rRwAAOSwc7teKbGc If you could fit 2 or 3 of those in the car alongside the aquarolls then you could store them in the field for a day or two.