Waterford Dutch Gag...

KatB

Visit site
Now I know I hate any type of dutch gag, but have been told by the person that gives me lessons my horse needs to be schooled in the waterford version of his Universal for a while and since I havent got £50+ to spend on another bit, was wandering if anyone had used one of the above and why? I will be using it with a curb which makes it slightly less cringeworthy for me
smirk.gif
Also does anyone know where to get one cheaply?!
tongue.gif

LizzieJ

Visit site
I used to use it to hunt my games pony so can't really help on that front but I haven't used it for ages so if by chance I bought a size too big, you would be welcome to it
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Thank you! Thats really appreciated. I was a bit "Argh!!" at having to use one as I dont like them at ALL, but the "god (
wink.gif
) is adament it will be a HUGE help, and he hasnt been wrong so far, so am just going to have to see
grin.gif

saz5083

Visit site
i use one to jump mine. Dont really like it either but its the only thing Iv found which stops him hauling my arms out and I can turn in! He really likes it. Stopped the head tossing and he is soft and resposive into a fence, but he still takes a pull XC. I figure if it works its worth it!
I bought mine from Cotswoldsports I think, was 20 odd quid. Just remember to buy a size bigger than you would normally.

KatB

Visit site
Thanks, he is 5.25 normally so 5.5 should be fine
smile.gif
I am only going to be using it for schooling at home for a short time, so dont want to be spending ££ on the universal which is ideally what I would like as its not as contradictory as the dutch gag, but I have been assured the gag with a curb will have the same effect.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Kat I have a 5.5 one, used to event B in it because a waterford snaffle was not quite enough when competing so I had it on the next ring down. He's always had a high head carriage to a fence so in hindsight it wasn't a terribly sensible bit to choose and at one event he stuck his head in the air and ran through the bridle as we approached a fence, so I ditched it, rang someone with a heck of a lot more bitting knowledge than me (Heather at Neue Schule) for advice and swapped to the jointed pelham.

It's kicking around in my lorry I expect as I've kept it thinking it would be useful if I ever ended up on something which tended to lean and bear down to a fence as it has a head raising action.

How soon do you need one as you can borrow it but I'm unlikely to get anywhere near the yard before the end of the week?

KatB

Visit site
Thanks SpottedCat, that would be great
grin.gif
Its not urgent, we are competing on Thurs so wont be doing any big schooling sessions where we need it for a bit
smile.gif
Its literally just for a few weeks, (hopefully!)
grin.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
You are welcome to to use it if you want....

Zara was a star, clear in the Intermediate, few time faults, but came 12th out of 50 odd, really please with her, she never looked at a thing.... Going to do my report shortly....