Waterproof boots that aren't welly boots

dizz4

Visit site
I am fed up of having wet feet, I don't like welly boots, they are cold and can't get many pairs to fit as I have a rather large calf.... I usually use the knee high muck boots with the velcro tabs which are surprisingly comfortable and warm, they just aren't waterproof much above the foot, so I end up wearing waterproof socks inside them, but once my feet are wet they get cold, can anyone recommend some fully waterproof boots for the wider leg that are not wellingtons....

cheers

Izzy

FubsyMog

Visit site
I have Ariat Windermeres, waterproof leather and they fit my giant calves (even some wellies are tight on me, especially if I have to do anything that involves my calf muscle tensing - which is pretty much anything active!).

I don't know how much of the boot is waterproof though as I've never had to contend with water above ankle level, other than heavy splashing (as in, accidentally run the hose over my leg)- I don't know if you could actually walk through water in them.

I also find them comfortable and supportive for my feet.

puppystitch

Visit site
Have you tried the neoprene lined wellies? I haven't personally, but they are supposed to keep your feet warmer. Otherwise, how about some of the Dubarry-style ones? I saw some in Musto this weekend, same style but much cheaper than the real thing - they had an adjustable tie around the calf.

puppystitch

Visit site
I wear the waterproof Ariat's too (Bromonts) - when I first got them I used to try to skirt around any muddy patches. Now I just plough on through and try not to think about how much they cost!

Brightbay

Visit site
I use the Just Togs Mudruckers (I actually use the riding version, but for everything including riding, wading through streams, walking for miles...). They are neoprene lined and so quite warm, I find I only need thin socks underneath. So far I have had one pair that remained 100% waterproof for a year, but I reckon I walked a few hundred miles in them in the course of the year, the heels are totally worn down! They started to leak a little in September and I replaced them with the same type. I am not sure how long these ones will stay waterproof, as they have developed a squeak ;) IME, the squeak usually heralds a seal failure somewhere... so far, so good though.
It's really difficult as every boot that is great eventually falls off in quality and then becomes useless. I have had wonderful Hunters that lasted ages, then a pair of useless ones that lasted about two months. Same with the Muck Boots - one pair lasted many years, the next pair several years, and then a pair that lasted a few months. Suspect the Mudruckers may be going the same way!

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Ariat Windermeres are only waterproof lined a bit above the ankle Cabotwood Go full height and they are a very good value for money Boot but if you go for leather boots they need more care to make them last.

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Leather won't last as long as natural rubber. Go for Le Chameau neoprene lined, expensive but toasty and comfortable.

Depends on how you look after it leather is far tougher and less likely to be punctured than natural rubber motorcyclists wear LEATHER Not Rubber for protection and the best Race Suits are made from Kangaroo Hide.

dizz4

Visit site
thanks for all your great suggestions I shall investigate them all, I may end up with more boots than I can shake a stick at this christmas, but a girls has just got to have warm dry feet...

thanks...

Izzy

Goldenstar

Visit site
Dubarrys I have a pair of Clare's as my yard boots for winter I got they half a size to big .they have a zip At the back so not fully waterproof I have the galways in my proper foot size for the rest of the year , I got it the wrong way round .
The Clare's however are waterproof in any thing except water that's deeper than the top of your heel .
They are warm the only down side is that you have to care for them more than wellys .

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I've had some Mountain Horse Snowy River boots for a while and they have been pretty good. At £240 they are very expensive but I've had them for 4 years and only now are they starting to show signs of wear and tear. They were an Xmas present one year. They aren't waterproof all the way up - only 100% waterproof a third of the way up the leg, then the rest is just water resistant, however I've never had them let in water after stepping in puddles and mud. They are really warm. I don't mind spending the money on a good product that will last - it's sometimes such a false economy to buy cheaper stuff that lasts a few months before it needs replacing.

Wouldn't ever buy Hunters again - I used to get them when I was a kid at £30 a per at the most but now Topshop have got their paws on them and class them as 'trendy', the whole of the world have jumped on the bandwagon and they are now a min of £90 - RIDICULOUS!! No longer do Hunter cater for horse riders as they used to, but instead for the Topshop lovers of the world. Well, they're welcome to them!

noblesteed

Visit site
My ariat windermeres are pretty waterproof, they're onto their third winter and I am only now having to get some of that Kiwi waterproof spray to spray onto the foot parts. Probably my own fault for wading through a stream in them last month but my feet stayed dry until I spent an hour in the wet field helping someone jump, my feet did get a little damp. I am very happy with them.

Bigginge

Visit site
Dublin river boots are now waterproof, you have to get the new ones this year as previously they were only 'water resistant'. I've had mine a few months, they've had a fair bit of hammer, have waded through rivers several times, mud on a daily basis...and so far so good, easier to get on than my Ariat Grasmere's that I also love. I got a size bigger for thick socks or welly liners but so far haven't really needed them.

dizz4

Visit site
I acually got a pair of Kanyon Ash Country Boots for christmas for £125 which I thought would be money well spent if they turned out like they promised... I find them very comfortable and stylish but so far not that waterproof, I admit that it has never been so wet but I have been getting damp feet inside my boots, is that normal or have i just got a duff pair... so far not that impressed with £125 boots that still let in water I could have got that with my muck boots for a lot less money...!!!

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
I have heard that Kanyon Ash boots aernt that waterproof as they are supposed to be, as the boots are claimed to be waterproof they should be waterproof. Is the lining Breathable? I would get your money back and in the same price range get a pair of Cabotswood Boots. Have you treated the leather on them it will help but the true waterproofing should come from the inner membrane.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am another who finds wellies very cold, however i have just bought some seeland wellies which have a vent at the top so nice and wide for those of us with bigger calves....and my feet have been warm!!!!!!! and dry!!!!!!!! they were £59.99 so not toobad..got them from mile country store(was mole farmers)

lainy

Visit site
I have been wearing ariat derwent h2o boots. Got them to spare my conistons for good wear and im really impressed with them so far. Ive got big calves and they fit well and have kept my feet toasty

majors

Visit site
Hi I have bought these and thrilledhttp://www.magrigg.co.uk/seeland-allround-18-inch-4mm-neoprene-wellington-boots.html warm, comfy and plenty of room for wide calves. So impressed mum and OH now have a pair each,

teasle

Visit site
Plain old d unlop wellies - mens cause they are wide enough for my fat legs, added insoles which keep my feet warm.

Merlin11

Visit site
I also have the seeland estate wellies and they are very warm and keep my feet dry. I also have wide calves and they are a good fit. The sole is very sturdy too.

khalswitz

Visit site
Leather rigger boots for me. Waterproof, fleece lined, steel toes and heels, thick heat and acid/alkali proof soles, toggles at the top to stop water getting in... Super toasty even without thermal socks. I hate wearing wellies now!!

I use Amblers, but there are loads of good makes.

JillA

Visit site
My mud and water is over my ankles in places though - warm wellies are what I need, especially when my big lump of a horse tries to barge past me in his rush to get into his warm dry stable. Knocked me off my little tiny island of slightly more solid ground and ensured water got inside my muckers :(