Waterproof coat suggestions

Jasper151

Visit site
After the monsoon we had yesterday, I have discovered that all 3 of my waterproof coats are not that waterproof and I spent all day absolutely soaked!

Looking for recommendations for a new coat, needs to be actually waterproof, lightweight ish, with a few pockets. Not bothered what I look like as long as I am dry!

Any suggestions?

Ben2684

Visit site
Could you not have your current ones reporoffed? Costs me £8 per coat and they come back lovely and waterproof, get them done every spring and then one will need the odd top up if it has been really wet but they have held so far this year :)

Jasper151

Visit site
I have sprayed them with the same stuff I use on my boots, but not a professional job! Will look into if anyone offers a professional job in my area.

Ben2684

Visit site
It’s the local rug cleaning lady that offers the service. I believe you can buy the stuff to do it yourself but OH has said I’m not allowed to use our washing machine ��

Last edited:

Steerpike

Visit site
Either Musto which are more flattering or Ri Dry coats they aren't the most flattering but they are waterproof, I have an extra large Ri Dry and can fit lots of layers and my air jacket underneath with room to spare!

Cowpony

Visit site
A riding mac with a cape over the shoulders from Rydale. About £40 and worth every penny. My last one lasted years before it slowly became less waterproof. If you get a long one they have leg straps for riding too.

frankster

Visit site
My Musto is brilliant - think it is a Whisper jacket. Added plusses convenient and well shaped hood and optional zip in liner so worm many months of the year. Quite expensive but during the times I've owned it, several others including Ariat have failed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The nikwax tech wash and reproofers are brilliant, if you want to try to reproof your existing gear.

I used them last autumn on an elderly leaky musto long coat just before an incredibly wet help day pole picking at an event. I stayed warm and dry :), and the proofing is still working now. They've also recently successfully revived an old Helly Hansen jacket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Tec...1516654385&sr=8-3&keywords=nikwax+-+tech+wash

JillA

Visit site
Bargain basement - I got a parka from Aldi for £30, totally waterproof, warm enough to not need a bodywarmer in the snowy weather and washes and dries overnight. TBH for the price if it starts leaking by the end of winter it won't owe me anything

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Joules Keswick. Has a removable fleece liner that can be worn on its own, so 3 in one. Mine's in its 4th year & still waterproof, as it proved in the weekend's hideous deluge.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Having got soaked to the skin stewarding in august, while wearing a ryedale long coat, I went a bit rash and bought a drizabone, with a marino liner. It is a beautiful coat, absolutely waterproof and windproof, no silly zips to go wrong and a bit like having a portable tent! It was fantastic in the last lot of snow :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Having got soaked to the skin stewarding in august, while wearing a ryedale long coat, I went a bit rash and bought a drizabone, with a marino liner. It is a beautiful coat, absolutely waterproof and windproof, no silly zips to go wrong and a bit like having a portable tent! It was fantastic in the last lot of snow :)

Coat envy!

meleeka

Visit site
I can really recommend the waterproofing spray from Aldi. I bought some cheap country boots and they’ve kept them waterproof for almost a year so far. I’ve also used it on my caravan awning.

I’ve never owned a fully waterproof coat before. I was given an Ariat coat for my birthday and I can now see why it was so expensive. I was out in all day yesterday and it didn’t let a drop in.

SWE

Visit site
I invested in a pikeur 2yrs ago and am very impressed, wear it daily in the winter and wash it regularly and it's held up really well... I haven't reproofed it at all and it is somehow still waterproof even after washing a lot!

Is a longer style one with massive furry hood... Lucky to get it on offer for about £80... Totally worth it!