Waterproof fly rugs?

Walrus

Visit site
Pony has to be fly rugged all summer, :( unfortunately he also gets very warm, usually if it's rainy I try putting a lw turnout rug over his fly rug but I worry he will sweat.

I've seen some waterproof fly rugs online, specifically the Derby house elite storm safe rugs. Does anyone have any experience if these, they look like they might go useful but I'm still concerned they will not really be waterproof?

:)

MeadowView

New User
Visit site
I use the Premier Equine Stay Dry one on my mare. Great for a light shower but not as good as a turnout if its a heavier rain shower :)

C1airey

Visit site
I have the Derby House Stormsafe one.

Good points:

-really long neck and tail cover. His neck stays totally covered even when he puts his head down to graze.

-nice and light. He's never come in sweaty.

-keeps the flies off him.

-has stood up to some significant rough and tumble with his field buddies.

-good size/fit on my big-shouldered LW cob.

-quick-drying

Bad points:

-only the top strip is waterproof, so it's only useful in light drizzle or showers. More rotund types will get quite soggy sides as the grey bits are mesh.

-no belly flap. If you need to keep every inch of your horse covered, this might not be the rug for you. However, the sides come down quite far so the coverage is definitely better than a normal rain sheet.

-the neck seam. It doesn't pose a problem for us as the lad is hogged, but the neck seam, although fleece-covered, is quite stiff and might rub a mane. However, see my previous comment re:big shoulders - it is quite a generous cut.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Pony has to be fly rugged all summer, :( unfortunately he also gets very warm, usually if it's rainy I try putting a lw turnout rug over his fly rug but I worry he will sweat.

I've seen some waterproof fly rugs online, specifically the Derby house elite storm safe rugs. Does anyone have any experience if these, they look like they might go useful but I'm still concerned they will not really be waterproof?

:)

I don't see a problem with a wet fly rug. They have minute holes which allows for evaporation. Unless the horse & rug are utterly saturated from persistent, heavy rain which causes the flies to lie low, the need for a fly rug diminishes anyway.

starryeyed

Visit site
I use the premier equine stay dry rug on my mare when its wet but there's a chance the sun will come out - we're in an area with horrendous midges and mosquitos and as much as I would love to leave them naked they just get bitten to pieces if they don't have something on. I'm really impressed with it - despite the waterproof section only running along the top of the rug, I'm always surprised at how well it works as it keeps her very dry even in heavy downpours (and has the added plus of drying off quickly for the next day as the rest of the rug is extremely lightweight). It's not something I use all year around as in "real summer" when the sun actually makes an appearance, the waterproof section does heat up, but I get lots of use out of it on the days which aren't so nice. They come with the belly flap or cross over surcingle option, I prefer the cross over version as she's a bit of a loon and kept managing to rip the belly off (it's secured with velcro) - a more sensible horse would probably be fine though!

Geek

Visit site
I've just bought the Derby house one and so far I'm very impressed with it. They're a brilliant idea! I agree that I wouldn't use it in a downpour instead of a turnout but if the weather is iffy then you get the best of both worlds.

Moomin1

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with one. Personally I think any type of rug which stays on 24/7 needs to be breathable and I don't think they would be. I have no issue with my mare just wearing her sweet itch rug 24/7 in all weathers - she's never suffered any ill effects.

Geek

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with one. Personally I think any type of rug which stays on 24/7 needs to be breathable and I don't think they would be. I have no issue with my mare just wearing her sweet itch rug 24/7 in all weathers - she's never suffered any ill effects.

They are very breathable :) hence not suitable for downpours.

M4X

Visit site
I don't see a problem with a wet fly rug. They have minute holes which allows for evaporation. Unless the horse & rug are utterly saturated from persistent, heavy rain which causes the flies to lie low, the need for a fly rug diminishes anyway.

This.

A fly rug will dry in about half an hour with the horses body heat so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Max lives out 24/7 in fly rug and mask. I cant risk leaving it off when it rains in case I don't make it back to the yard quick enough when it stops as he takes a really bad reaction to any fly bites at all.

Horsemad12

Visit site
I have the shires one. Great rug, great idea.

I agree that the fly sheet dries quickly, but you could have a very cold and wet horse for the hours it is actually raining and to me it would be like wearing a wet t-shirt, you would get much colder than with nothing.

Suffolkangel

Visit site
I have the Shires one also, mine have never been wet in downpours, and I even use them as light weights in the autumn. (mine live out and are all natives)

eggs

Visit site
I use the Horseware Rambo fly rug. If it rains the horse and rug soon dry off. If the rain forecast is so bad I wouldn't be putting a flyrug on anyway.

Jo1987

Visit site
I've got the Derby house one for my old pony who hates both the flies and the rain! I really like it, it doesn't pull back over his shoulders like normal fly rugs, and he has been caught in the odd downpour in it and he's been perfectly dry in it.
He doesn't seem to get too hot in it when it's sunny and warm either.