Waterproof fly rugs?

shadowboy

Visit site
It's soon that time of year when the midges are out. We are stables next to a brook so it gets really bad. Can anyone recommend a fly rug with a waterproof stop over the back for those cooler/showery days? So horse is still dry to ride but protected from midges?

Louby

Visit site
I always wanted one, bought the Shires one but my horse was too warm in it and mine wasnt that waterproof. I just feel they are basically LW turnouts with a small panel of mesh at the bottom and probably warmer as they have a neck too. I ended up selling mine and using my LW turnout without the neck on cooler days and normal fly rug on warmer days.

Jo1987

Visit site
I love my shires one, also have a Derby House one which is a little cooler as it doesn't have so much waterproof material.

Micropony

Visit site
Friend has a PE one. I am not usually a fan of their turnouts but this one doesn't seem to be heavy or leak so I would consider if I was in the market for such a thing.

My boy has SI so I have the rambo SI hoody and the waterproof liner ElleSkywalker mentioned. Personally I find liners a bit of a faff, but it does work, doesn't seem to move, and I think Horseware do normal fly rugs with the loops you can attach the liner to, so that could be an option.

xgemmax

Visit site
Just wondered if people have these as well as normal fly rugs as I imagine they're too warm to put on the horse on a sunny day??

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I've used the gallop half and half for the last 4+ years they are brilliant. try fast tack direct, I have 2, one I cut the neck off and the other has the neck