Waterproof jackets / coats - winter!

gallopingby

Visit site
Very wet today - can anyone recommend a really waterproof, breathable jacket?

Not talking cheap showerproof, rather your ‘ get what you pay for?’

Doubled ended zip and a coat that will stand up to continuous rain and wind for several hours. Probably from a shooting / sailing outlet rather than equestrian. Thanks ?

Surbie

Visit site
I hate my Jack Murphy Cotswold. I've found they rip really easily around the pockets and the waterproofing doesn't last long at all, particularly on the seams. Last winter I was wearing 2 coats to try and stay dry.

Till I get something new, the vile Jack Murphy is about to be mended with duck tape. It's quite the look...

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've just bought a Karrimor coat that has a zip in/out fleece. Lovely and warm and, having tested it in this mornings downpours, I can confirm that its completely waterproof!

AnShanDan

Visit site
I bought a helly hansen lightweight coat recently, it's 100% waterproof, double ended zip. It's not very long, about mid thigh, so you also need waterproof trousers or chaps to ride in.

ponios

Visit site
You want to have a look at Uhip. I have the three in one coat that has kept me dry through the longest of wettest days! I have just invested in their long trench for days like this where it is wet wet wet but also warm! They do the trench in three different lengths to suit. The trench feels like a longer lasting material, the outer of the three in one did get easily caught on a rose bush! The good news is that the linner from the three in one can be zipped into the trench

jnb

Visit site
Musto, I got mine for £57.50 from BrandAlley, it's a man's one but I'm huge so it doesn't matter. Should have been £200!
They often have end of lines for silly prices. Or check Ebay once you know what style you want, mine's a Musto Chester

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have the Ariat Madden, which covers my hips and is designed for riding in. Also have a couple of Musto waterproof coats but I tend to also these for riding in because they're so nice and our yard is very muddy.
For yard work, I have Millets Technicals insulated long coat, which is brilliant. It's warm and light and is quick to wash and dry. It's more showerproof than heavily waterproof, so for heavy rain, I wear an Aldi fishing jacket. A £25 job, which is a real workhorse of a coat. Also, it loves being washed and dries fairly easily.

Kay Burton

Visit site
I have Musto for years now. I like it for rain and think it's one of the best for snow and rain. I am sure that you should consider choosing it. It's not not the cheapest one, but it's a good idea to look for a used one.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Musto or Mountain Horse. Musto much reduced from Hope Valley, thin fleece lining, warm and totally waterproof. Mountain Horse not lined, thinner but equally breathable and waterproof currently on sale for £24 direct from MH.

Griffin

Visit site
I have Musto which is at least twenty years old and still comes out waterproof after washing (it's my gardening coat now because it looks a bit tatty after being chewed by various pets over the years) and I have newer Mustos which I tend to use for either riding or walking because they are a bit too nice for the yard. They are very warm and waterproof.

For the yard, I tend to buy a cheap waterproof jacket from Go Outdoors and team it with my wellies and cheap waterproof trousers if it's torrential.

Sealine

Visit site
Another vote here for Musto. Keep an eye out on TK Maxx and Sports Direct websites for reduced items as you can get some bargains. I bought a Canter Lite for £20 from TK Maxx. I've also bought second hand Musto on ebay.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I have the Ariat madden. It is wonderful both for yard work and riding. It is so neat when you are standing and walking but kind of spreads out to cover your thighs and saddle when you ride. Well worth the money.

eggs

Visit site
I’ve had Musto jackets for over 40 years now and really rate them. Do not wash them with biological powder though as it destroys the water proofing.

Henbug

Visit site
Musto are great, but agree with Eggs note about not washing them with biological powder.

I've had for the last few years a Lands End 'Squall Coat'

https://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_S...702.html?cgid=11312&dwvar_P__39702_color= 38S

It's warm, windproof, waterproof and a great length. It's never let me down yet! I love as well all the pockets, places for phones, fleece inside but not in the arms so it's easy to put on etc. Just a great, well thought out coat.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have a ridiculous number of waterproof coats. I could tot up the prices and now only dream of a Caribbean holiday :D

Anyhoo, everything from a Berghaus Goretex shell (walking type), which whilst I have their latest and greatest I find I wear D's as it's big enough to go over whatever weird collection of clothes I'm wearing at the time. Absolutely 1000% waterproof. And has a peaked hood, which makes doing anything outside so much easier. Also have the girly version, but it cost more and I'm afraid of damaging it...

Try the outdoor sports shops and look for anything Goretex, or along those lines, and make sure all seams are taped and the front zip is either the new snazzy sealed thingy or has a blinking good storm baffle on it.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have a huge range of ski jackets that have done me for years brilliantly, but this year I've invested in an Equi-dry! So I'll see how that goes, it looks like it'll be fantastic for around the yard & riding, reaches the tops of my wellies & zips undone up the sides for riding!

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got a toggi Alston, really impressed with it. However it’s fairly lightweight, definitely need layers when it’s cold.
For proper winter I’ve got an ariat shire coat. It’s the best coat I’ve ever had