Waterproof riding boots

SEL

Visit site
Depressingly it looks like summer is finally over his week and I may need a dingy by the weekend.

I am also going to need a new pair of long boots that can cope with horrendously muddy gateways (sometimes getting off is unavoidable) and the ability to paddle through water without spending the rest of the ride with soaking wet feet.

I don't think I've got particularly wide calf muscles but I have struggled in the past with some very narrow designs.

I've just had a glance at Ariat but their long ones are over £300 and I'm not feeling that wealthy!!

Help please :)

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Not had a great experience with Bareback footwear althohhh they’re SO comfortable. I bought some of their short waterproof walking/riding boots a few months ago.

The leather started coming away from the sole after 2 weeks so were returned and ‘re glued’. I went for a walk on the weekend, short wet grass and my toes/bottom of feet were soaked.

Interested to see what others recommend.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only buy Mountain horse boots and regularly walk through long wet grass in my riding boots and country boots and feet stay dry, they are not cheap though but in my opinion so worth the money I have 2 long riding boots 2 pair of country boots and short boots all so comfortable and fit me so well.

Reactions: SEL

JGC

Visit site
I've just got the BR Greenland ones, as three people on my yard have had them for three winters and love them. We get a lot of mud and snow, so they've tested them pretty thoroughly! I have 39-41 cm calves btw.

Reactions: SEL

JGC

Visit site
Oh I also have Goretex walking boots (previously pair lasted around 15 years), which are a really workhorse but not quite enough in the worst of the weather.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
Depressingly it looks like summer is finally over his week and I may need a dingy by the weekend.

I am also going to need a new pair of long boots that can cope with horrendously muddy gateways (sometimes getting off is unavoidable) and the ability to paddle through water without spending the rest of the ride with soaking wet feet.

I don't think I've got particularly wide calf muscles but I have struggled in the past with some very narrow designs.

I've just had a glance at Ariat but their long ones are over £300 and I'm not feeling that wealthy!!

Help please :)
If it's the Coniston GTX Pro you're after, they currently have them for £199 at Old Dairy Saddlery (don't know what sizes are left, though). I bought a pair last year and they're great (and really comfy). The only issue I have is that I have slim legs and so they're slightly loose even on the tightest I can get them (the laces make them pretty adjustable), so I still get rain down the top sometimes! At least it's not so bad in the winter when I have more/thicker layers on.

SEL

Visit site
If it's the Coniston GTX Pro you're after, they currently have them for £199 at Old Dairy Saddlery (don't know what sizes are left, though). I bought a pair last year and they're great (and really comfy). The only issue I have is that I have slim legs and so they're slightly loose even on the tightest I can get them (the laces make them pretty adjustable), so I still get rain down the top sometimes! At least it's not so bad in the winter when I have more/thicker layers on.
How would they be wading through water do you think? I have to cross a stream and my native pony thinks there are crocodiles in it!

2ndtimearound

Visit site
How would they be wading through water do you think? I have to cross a stream and my native pony thinks there are crocodiles in it!
Hmm, not sure! That could depend how deep it is, as the tongue is separate, so water from a stream may get in above the point where the tongue starts (about 1/3 of the way up the leg, I think).

rextherobber

Visit site
Toggi Calgarys are indestructible and the only time I've ever got wet feet was wading through a river ( on horseback) ,the water seeped in through the zip. They do an extra wide calf version, though as they have an elasticated bit, the normal calf are quite forgiving. I had to replace a zip on mine last year, but they are a good 10 years old, so can excuse that

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I saw a pair of rubber riding boots which said breathable and soles were shock absorbing. Looked quite good. Cant think which brand though. Kind of welly style with riding sole.

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting some waterproof socks this year as I have yet to find boots that don't leak!
Edited for spelling!

Last edited:

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Something like these would do the job:

Anyone else remember Stylo riding boots in the 80's?
I do but they were very sweaty. I'd want something with some element of breathability.

SEL

Visit site
Ah - I've had similar before and the neoprene just disintegrates right where it joins the rubber. I think I work then too hard!

I'm thinking of getting some waterproof socks this year as I have yet to find boots that don't leak!
Edited for spelling!
I've got sealskin in my leaky wellies! They do work but they're pretty bulky. I think I must trash boots because nothing I buy lasts more than a year without springing a leak

Hmm, not sure! That could depend how deep it is, as the tongue is separate, so water from a stream may get in above the point where the tongue starts (about 1/3 of the way up the leg, I think).
Might work otherwise I think I'm looking at the rubber boots I had as a kid. Was hoping for something a bit more stylish 🤣 Some of these boots are almost too nice to get plastered in winter mud

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Something like these would do the job:

Anyone else remember Stylo riding boots in the 80's?
Yes I used to have those 😂 terrible in summer though they made you so hot.