WBS Stallion Grading..Who likes to go and Look?

woodlander

Visit site
The WBS - UK (BWBS) Stallion Grading takes place at Hartpury College this weekend from 4pm on Saturday. Loose Jumping is Saturday Evening and then Sunday at 10am, stallions will be shown loose. There are 26 stallions forward. I am interested to know just how interesting this type of event is to breeders and what they would find useful.

Similarly, the Mare Gradings and Summer Shows are very poorly attended by "spectators". Is there really so little interest to see which are the better types and movers?

Please help us studbooks understand what you guys want to see.

eventrider23

Visit site
I would love to go if I was not only closer but also able to drive at the moment. Interestingly - do you have a list of the stallions being put forward??

millitiger

Visit site
will their be commentary at the horses are presented?

I think a lot of people would like to know what the judges are thinking about each horse, why some pass and fail, what their good and not so good points are etc.

Also, where would people have found out about the grading?
I know SHB(GB) advertise their gradings in H&H but not sure where other studbooks advertise.

woodlander

Visit site
01 Hunton’s Sir Coco de Mur 4.00 6.00 10.00
02 Waldon Wildblade 4.03 6.07 10.06
03 Woodlander Ravi Shankar 4.06 6.14 10.17
04 Renoir 4.09 6.21 10.23
05 Marsteon Park Legacy 4.12 6.28 10.29
06 Santa Cruz 4.15 6.35 10.35
07 Despereaux 4.18 6.42 10.46
08 Denver HFD 4.21 6.49 10.53
09 Sforzando 4.24 6.56 10.59
10 Don Rolieto 4.27 7.03 11.05
11 Hermani 4.30 7.10 11.11
12 Serano 4.33 7.17 11.22
13 Sir Caprimond 4.36 7.24 11.28
14 Spiridon 4.39 7.31 11.34
15 Sambucca 4.42 7.38 11.40
16 Woodlander Rhythm n Blues4.45 7.45 11.50
17 Chops Corrado 4.48 7.52 11.56
18 Woodlander Dance to the Music 4.51 7.59 12.02
19 Hofmeyer 4.54 8.06 12.08
20 Angelo Arnee 4.57 8.13 12.20
21 Franklyn Sugar 5.00 8.20 12.26
22 Dancing Dave (Don Amour) 5.03 8.27 12.32
23 Le Docteur 5.06 8.34 12.38
24 Zambucca 1.00
25 Flammengold 1.10
26 Zubin R 1.20

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Its the sort of event i try and go to when I'm in the UK but I think the WBS often clashes with the Trakehner one here in Germany so that always wins for me I'm afraid.

I think it would be useful for people who are interested in going to be able to have a list on the front of your website of attending stallion with pedigree listed, to get people excitied about what they can see,

the TBf used to do commentary on the gradings in years gone by which was so informative and sadly they stopped doing it. Even if it is just the judges giving their postive points on each horse I think that would encourage spectators.

The gradings over here are so geared to the attending public and it is such a social event too, and thats something the British breeders dont seem to get on board with, rather saving their days off for maybe a competiton or family time. Here a lot of people make a huge effort to attend, its part and parcel of being a breeder

woodlander

Visit site
The Grading was advertised in Horse & Hound a couple of times and should have been on the website but was overlooked as we have some website problems.

There will be a good commentary about the licensed stallions and about the Premium stallions and the Champion & Reserve. There will be Young Breeder Training happening on the day too.

I have not space here to describe all the pedigrees but there are 18 two and three year old stallions including Sir Donnerhall, Serano Gold, Fuerst Heinrich, Sunny Boy, Rockstar, Royal Blend, Wild Dice Bewes, Del Amitri, Desperados, Hofrat, Sandro Hit, Loxley, Oliver HFD,Don Ricos, Herzensdieb, Corrado I, Scandic, Florestan to name nut a few......

chris_j

Visit site
It's always a good event, sadly I can't come this year as I'm moving house this weekend, otherwise I'd be there.

I'd prefer it if the whole event was on one day though, most of us who attend as spectators have our own horses to sort & at this time of year most are stabled so getting to something that starts around evening stables time is problematic.

Is there a particular reason for splitting the grading over 2 days?

woodlander

Visit site
Yes. On the continent, Grading is always, at least, two days. The reason is that it is a Technical event and the well being and care of the young stallions is paramount. They need to be at their best.

At Hartpury, most colts will arrive on Friday night for Saturday's event and will then have a lazy morning before they have to be on their toes later.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
will their be commentary at the horses are presented?

I think a lot of people would like to know what the judges are thinking about each horse, why some pass and fail, what their good and not so good points are etc.

Also, where would people have found out about the grading?
I know SHB(GB) advertise their gradings in H&H but not sure where other studbooks advertise.

I think the lack of it with the SHBGB makes the process for some spectators boring. As for this event I am already booked, shame especially if there is going to be a run down on the stallions.

chris_j

Visit site
Thanks for replying Lynne.

A downloadable PDF of the catalog on the website would also be fantastic as it allows spectators to do a bit of research on the stallions entered before the day (or is it just me who is a geek googling bloodlines late into the night?!)

Durham

Visit site
Of the 23 presented, 7 graded:

Champion - Spiridon ( Sandro Hit x Weltmeyer x Shogun xx)

Res Champion - Serano (Serano Gold x Natiello xx x Galvano)

plus:

Sforzando (Serano Gold x Don Frederico x Karon)

Don Rolieto (Don Ricoss x Balzflug x Sovereign Bill xx)

Woodlander Rhythm and Blues (Woodlander Rockstar x Londonderry x Buenos Aires)

Angelo Arnee (Scandic x Jetset D X Havidoff)

Frankyn Sugar (Furst Heinrich x Acord II x Drosselkland II)

Quite a lot of people watching and the judges provided helpful information in their commentary.

Last edited:

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Thanks for replying Lynne.

A downloadable PDF of the catalog on the website would also be fantastic as it allows spectators to do a bit of research on the stallions entered before the day (or is it just me who is a geek googling bloodlines late into the night?!)

Yep, good luck with trying to find anything on NED, I think only one of them has a mention.

woodlander

Visit site
It was a great couple of days with v good weather for the trot up. The gallery was fuller on Saturday night for the loose jumping and the atmosphere was very good.

The Champion Spiridon was a very expensive German colt belonging to Sara Tyler Evans and the Reserve, Serano, owned by Suzanne Lavanderawas already licensed Oldenburg. Best of the rest, as they say with a very high standard, particularly correctness, were Sforzando belonging to Brian and Beverley Rumbold and he is a serious dressage build and pedigree with great strength for a 2year old. There was a good amount of blood and trakehner in the horses forward and he has a Don Frederico x Karon dam line. Don Rollieto and Woodlander Rhythm n Blues were both British Bred (Hurrah) so big congratulations to Sue Botha, the breeder of the former. Rhythm 'n
Blues is froma Londonderry mother but like most Rockstar's offspring he can really jump. He had the highest marks of the grading for jumping with an 8 and 9 for technique and scope so we thin he would make a good eventing sire although his paces are also good for dressage. Louise Davidson and Angelo Arnee had already presented well at the Nationals in the 5 year old finals and Franklyn Sugar has had a super job done by Clair Gordon. Both these last two are five,

The judges were great and really positive but it was hard for the breeders as they were very very tough this year and would describe a stallion prospect listing all its good properties and then, just when you thought it would be graded, just one thing that prevented it from licensing.

Good news for us is that Sforzando and Rhythm n Blues, a very modern version from his father, will both be at the Hartpury Stallion Event, we hope and will stand at Woodlander next year.

Good News too for the Futurity with its first licensed British Bred stallion - Don Rollieto who gained a First Elite in 2009 at Solihull and a High First this year at The College. Seems we all think in a similar way about the good ones.

Worth a good mention to is the Full Approval of the Hessen Stallion, Flammengold, the Sire of Fabioso and the Dutch (Swedish Graded) Stallion, Zambucca who was presented by Spencer Wilton

Next year will be better still as WBS continues to raise its game.

Spiderman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Good News too for the Futurity with its first licensed British Bred stallion - Don Rollieto who gained a First Elite in 2009 at Solihull and a High First this year at The College. Seems we all think in a similar way about the good ones.

Sorry to correct but my British bred lad graded WBS-UK 2 years ago and was awarded TWO Elite First Premiums as a 3yr old, for dressage and show jumping.

libertehorsebox

Visit site
Quick correction, franklyn sugar was 4 not 5 and was seen with the older horses ( not quite sure why) he is also British bred (by me) it was a great weekend and I was very proud of my boy- Ruth mealey! Also the owner as well ad breeder, clair Gordon has a half share in him. Sorry to be picky it's just a shame when people get the details wrong when it's taken 4 long and expensive years to get to this point! Well done to all the approved stallions and thank you to Darren mattia for doing a fabulous job with my boy.

woodlander

Visit site
More apologies...was still half asleep this am. Daren told me that Clair had done a great job with Franklyn Sugar so I reported just that. He was in the older group because the other groups were 2 year olds, then 3 year olds and then "older horses" which includes four year olds. It was good to see him matured.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Sounds very positive, and the First Heinrich son looks an interesting bloodline for the UK, especially given the volume of S blood presented, must have been like going to the Oldenburg grading here LOL. And a big thumbs up for the influence of Trakehner blood in a number of pedigrees. With even Schockemohle himself embracing the breed now, I hope to see more and more of their influence in the other warmblood studbooks both here and in the UK

All very dressage orientated pedigrees, I wonder fi the jumpers are all tending to go to the AES and the jumpers to WBS as a rule of thumb.