we all know fox gloves and ragwort is poisonous how much?

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
I am the first to go hunting round my paddocks for the blighters but... how much would a horse have to consume of foxgloves or ragwort before they were caused harm? i once heard that ragwort was only poisonous when it was dried, how much truth is there in that? also i have never directly known a horse to die due to the result of eating either plant... does anyone have any experience?

p.s i apologise for the awful use of English in the title, i do not know how to edit that!

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I'm not sure in amounts but I think, if I remember correctly, that each bit they consume damages their liver a bit more. The damage gets worse each time they consume some and it doesn't show up as any symptoms until it's too late for the damage to be stopped. By the time it's noticeable, it's usually too late.

I had a horse be PTS because of liver poisoning and it was horrific.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Ragwort tends to be a cumulative poison, it is poisonous at all stages of it's life but has a very bitter taste so most horses won't touch it whilst it's growing. Once it is dried, in hay, it becomes far more palatable.

Foxglove (digitalis) has an acute effect but needs to have a lot eaten in one go. I have no idea how palatable it is though.

ThePinkPony

Visit site
From what i have read a horse needs to have consumed 1.5% of the 1.5% of their daily forage in a day for over 20 days for it to be fatal.

Out of curiosity, how do you know if your horse has eaten ragwort, as it grows in little plants and can be easily hidden in grass? how can you treat that if by the time symptoms show it is too late?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You need to be familiar enough with what the plant looks like to identify it in grass.