We are going barefoot!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have one cavallo simple that I used when she was shoeless post abscess - i’ll Dig it out and check size. I haven’t measured fronts so will do that when she’s shod next (she’s staying in shoes for suspensory rehab so next 9 weeks). What are yours - simple?

Yes, a pair of brand new simples.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but are boots a nessecity for going barefoot?
I got a new boy a week yesterday. Ex racer, 6 next month. Pulled three shoes off in the first two days so had the remaining shoe taken off Weds as he was walking to/from field really well (8 min walk on some uneven stony tracks). Walked him in hand this morning and he’s good on tarmac too. Never had a ridden one barefoot before... He’s on low starch diet and got minerals on the way. I guess I keep going as we are, building it up and get some boots if he does seem sore? Would be great to keep him barefoot if I can. Any tips welcome!
I think it is a good idea to have some boots ready for when you begin. Ride in the boots at the start and have your horse barefoot when not riding. Then build up the amount you ride without the boots as his feet toughen up. Better than waiting to get sore and then booting.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but are boots a nessecity for going barefoot?
I got a new boy a week yesterday. Ex racer, 6 next month. Pulled three shoes off in the first two days so had the remaining shoe taken off Weds as he was walking to/from field really well (8 min walk on some uneven stony tracks). Walked him in hand this morning and he’s good on tarmac too. Never had a ridden one barefoot before... He’s on low starch diet and got minerals on the way. I guess I keep going as we are, building it up and get some boots if he does seem sore? Would be great to keep him barefoot if I can. Any tips welcome!

Best tip is to read Rockley farm blog until your eyes go square!!

AandK

Visit site
I think it is a good idea to have some boots ready for when you begin. Ride in the boots at the start and have your horse barefoot when not riding. Then build up the amount you ride without the boots as his feet toughen up. Better than waiting to get sore and then booting.

Best tip is to read Rockley farm blog until your eyes go square!!

Thank you both!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh, and if you need a trimmer, make sure they are qualified. The only course in the UK currently approved by LANTRA is EPAUK. You can go on their website and locate a qualified trimmer that covers your area.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Cavallo TRECs are very easy and forgiving - I have the sport version for hinds. We don't use them much and they have lasted years, still going strong. Tarmac and grass should be fine, in hand walking on tarmac is great for rehabbing to barefoot.

Ceriann

Visit site
Were into our 4th week of injury rehab, which now incl 10 mins x 2 of in hand walking. Shes still shod and will stay in shoes until her scans show improvement at week 6 and 12. Gives me time to prep her with the right supplements and get more clued up. In the process of reading nik barker book too. I now want a track!!! Her walking is going well with 2ml of sedaline (all good practice for the same when her shoes come off).