We came down on the road today :(

Love

Visit site
Took the boy out for a nice quiet pootle up the road with a fellow livery this afternoon. The road has always been slippy so we are always very careful along that particular stretch, only just along from the yard.

Poddling along nice and calm when suddenly his near side hind just slips underneath him and we came straight down. It happened so fast and was noones fault but my did we go down with a crash!

Luckily he didn't come down on top of me and I managed to jump up out the way but my poor boy couldn't even get his footing to get up. He finally did and I managed to get to him. It was then I realised how much my wrist hurt!

Lead him back to the yard, luckily he is absolutely fine was just a bit confused!

I ended up in A&E but thankfully it's just a very bad sprain. Have to say we all thought it was bust, even the radiographer was surprised! My hip is going to be a lovely shade of blue in a few days too - it has grazed through my jodhpurs!

So relieved as it could have been a lot worse but still quite scary. It happened so fast he didn't even have time to try and save himself.

Will have to catch a lift to the yard for the next few days, hate being a burden. It's my left hand which is better for me but gear changes could be a bit tricky!

lhotse

Visit site
I hate it when they slip on the roads, I had it happen a few times with my old mare and it's so sudden that you can't do much to save yourself. I couldn't have road nails with her as they caused jarring and made her lame. My present mare has road nails in every shoe, I wouldn't be without and she is fine in them. The roads round here are way too slippy to be without. Hope you are both not too sore tomorrow.

ZondaR

Visit site
Poor you and poor him. Lucky you were not on your own. Take care of your wrist and don't try to do too much with it too soon, I'm sure you know the drill, compression, ice, elevate and REST. And you can't take too much arnica at this stage of the injury, it really does aid your recovery.

What a most unpleasant experience. I hope you both feel better soon.

TrasaM

Visit site
Tarmac is not a good surface to fall on! Ouchies. I had a nasty fall in September and escaped with bad bruising and a very strained shoulder. It's that horrible moment when you realise you are going down. The horse I was on was shod and lost his footing when he spooked and spun. Unfortunately I was still in the saddle when we landed ..ouch!
Like you I was very lucky although shoulder is still only about 75%. I try to bear in mind that it could have been so much worse. Get well soon and well done for jumping clear.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oof, sounds horrid, glad that nothing is broken. Echo reporting the road to the BHS. Is it a worn out piece of road or a new surface?

A check up by a physio for your horse would probably be a good idea, he may be a bit stiff afterwards. Perhaps they can treat you as well!

MochaDun

Visit site
I was behind a friend who came down like that, straight flat down on the side due to a very slippy road. She and her horse were OK but shaken. Then almost in the same spot another rider did the same a few months later but broke her arm but it was only then the council took note and the roads were resurfaced. I'd say it was worth mentioning to the council, yes horses can slip on roads but if lots of local people in both cars and on horses know that bit of the road is slippy it is just an accident waiting to happen - can you imagine if a car had been going past at the time you both could have been a lot more seriously injured. I also used to be near a bend which was very treacherous road surface for cars when wet - several would aquaplane across the bend and end up in the opposite hedge and not speeding either. It took a car losing control and clipping the kerb and ending up on its roof for them to finally resurface it. People pressure counts I believe :) and all helps to make things safer for everyone.

ladyt25

Visit site
Yup, been there - ended up with a broken collar bone (tarmac is not very forgiving!). My horse always wears studs in his hinds (fixed ones in the winter period). He has not suffered any ill effects at all and, even if he didn't have studs I would certainly have road nails in. Much prefer knowing he is unlikely to slip than have that happen again!

Love

Visit site
it sounds more common than I thought then :/

He's actually barefoot so no option of road nails either. There are verges along that stretch. Think the answer is stick to them until it's sorted!

Sorry can't remember who asked but it's not a new surface. In summer it goes almost molten in places so dries very very slick :/

Wrists throbbing now the painkillers are wearing off. Think A long soak is in order. Bet I ache everywhere tomorrow!

Elbie

Visit site
Poor you!

Sounds like you may have a bit of a friction burn type thing on your hip. I've had that and it hurts!

Hopefully a strongly worded letter to the council and reporting to the BHS will help sort it out. It's a shame that there has to be numerous accidents for them to pay attention. Don't get me started on Councils!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Horrid isn't it? Mine had road nails, but slipped on a bit of downhill. Luckily he didn't come down, but he was floundering around and it obviously upset him. I was relieved that he hadn't hurt himself as he very nearly went over. Next time we came down that stretch of road he was very wary and cautious.

Hope you soon feel better.

Mike007

Visit site
Certain road surfaces are particularly slippery for horses, unfortunately, they are used because they have the opposite effect on cars . They improve tyre grip. If I were in a position where I had a horse slip on such a surface, I would seek compensation from the council. The basis of the claim would be that ,in improving road safety for one section of road users ,they have deliberately caused a hazard to other legitimate road users. PS. Always send letters to councils ,recorded delivery and dont try to deal with them over the phone.

Shantara

Visit site
Yikes! Glad you're (almost!) ok and horse is ok too.
Me and Neddy had a fall a couple of years ago, it was really scary, but thankfully the only injury was a pulled muscle for me and a slight scrape on his hock.
He spooked at a flat bed and tried to spin but slipped. He fell and I just rolled off the side!

ruth83

Visit site
It's been reported to the council numerous times with nothing being done. Going to write to them again hopefully with some effect this time!

The BHS collate their information for the wider picture. So they look at whether specific road surfaces tend to cause problems and then try to find ways to avoid these being laid in areas where horses are frequently ridden. They also use the figures for presenting the number of accidents caused by x to various bodies.

Glad you are (just about) in one piece - definately worth reporting though :)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
If the issue has been recorded and reported to the council before and not dealt with then they are normally liable for damages resulting directly from the fault. Not saying you want to go that route but hinting at it and that you are aware this is the case might get it sorted out jolly quickly..:)))

OrangePepper

Visit site
I would suggest that you always ensure your horse has knee pads on.
It sounds as if the tarmac is SMP which if not laid correctly can be seriously slippery for horses.
Contact the local Highways Department and also your local county BHS Road Safety Officer who will also be able to assist you.

Grumpyfell

Visit site
This happened to me, completely out of the blue, at walk. My foot was trapped under the pony, resulting in a lisfranc injury ie multiple fractures and dislocations of four toes. Surgery and three and a half months off work was no fun. Pony was fine, ambled off to eat grass while I dragged myself to the side of the road and waited for help. Council/highways did not want to know....

Love

Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions and advice! Sorry for the late reply, decided to get an early night last night.

Bit sore and stiff this morning but nothing too bad. Going up to see the nag in a bit, see how he is doing (he's on assisted DIY I havnt just abandoned him!).

Will definitely be fighting to get the road surface sorted, I'd hate for anything like this to happen again to anyone and like many have confirmed it could have been much worse!