"We couldn't do it anymore"

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My friend text me this weekend to tell me she had just put a deposit down on a lab puppy. She’s never had a dog before, her and her husband work full time and they have 3 young children. The husband doesn’t want a dog. So much so that he wouldn’t talk to my friend after she put deposit down.
I have a feeling it’s going to end in disaster, but I desperately hope I’m wrong.

when they want to give it away to a new home ,my next door neighbour wants another dog as they have lost theirs but they dont have loads of money to buy a puppy and the rescues seem to be short of dogs even though we are in lockdown.. i did try to interest them in a greyhound but they like labs and want to hang on till prices go down, if they ever do!!

scats

Visit site
I identify with this. I must admit despite having dogs growing up and then having my mother’s dog after she passed away I still found the adjustment to having a young dog much more challenging than I was prepared for. I definitely shed a few tears thinking I’d made a massive mistake. I persevered and now I have a wonderful companion who I wouldn’t be without but I nearly didn’t make it. It’s hard to really understand the emotional and physical drain owning a dog can be. I found it harder than having a new horse.

I got really bad puppy blues when we got Bess. There was quite a gap between JD and Bess so it had been a long time since we’d had a pup and it hadn’t actually been my choice to have her but I ended up doing the looking after as my mum went back to work the next day and I was off for the 6 week hols. I remember finally getting an afternoon free and getting in my car and crying all the way to the local garden centre where I went to have a browse and a coffee just to get out. Obviously I adore Bess now, but I found those first few weeks really, really tough.