We did it! For spooky horse owners!

JVB

Visit site
Just a quick message as I had the most amazing day yesterday! I've had my mare for nearly 7 years now since she was 3 and she has always been a spooky, challenging madam - but lovely with it.

We've never had much success with competing, she always shuts down on me and loses confidence, goes behind my leg, gets terrified of everything.

Well last April I made the decision to stop taking her to jump comps, since then we have had monthly lessons and I have trained at home so hard, practicing weekly and doing lots of xc jumping. The last couple of lessons we have been absolutely nailing the course, which for me was the sign to try a jumping comp again.

So yesterday at a local unaff we did a 75cm class and had the most foot perfect double clear I still cannot believe it. I came out and like a total loser burst into tears and was just so happy. She was calm, focused and forward - I had dreamt about this for years so it's just so amazing to finally get there.

So just sharing the news that spooky horses can sometimes change for the better, I know it's only just the beginning and there is no guarantee it will happen again and I know I'll still have to pick my venues but my god it gives me hope and makes all the hard work worthwhile

Typically there was no pics or video but thanks for reading! Hopefully more reports of this nature to come!

mik

Visit site
Well done. Patience and training usually pay off. You should be very proud. We await more reports and many pictures next time!!!

BeckyD

Visit site
That is fantastic! What a momentous day! I still keep hoping that my silly spooky b*gger of an overgrown pony will eventually learnt to trust me!

Imonone

Visit site
Its fab to hear that all your hard work has paid off, onwards and upwards.
I too have a spooky boy who works beautifully at home and then completely drops me at a competition. I am going through the throes of getting out as often as I can and trying lots of different warm up routines to find the one that works best.

JVB

Visit site
Thanks for all the messages!

Digger66 - she is DWB notable great/grandsires are Samber and Concorde

Definitely hope to bring more successful reports, although I suspect the dressage will still raise the same old issues -will keep you posted!

Thanks

Chipster

Visit site
Well Done!! That is fab.....

I have been through the same thing.... My DWB would jump fab at home or at clinics but at comps he went to pieces and jumped around in front of a fence like he had never seen one before in his life!

I stopped going to comps & I too just concentrated on clinics and LOTS of practice, and entering clear rounds..

Guess what we got 2 clear rounds last weekend, I nearly cried too, ha!! I think everyone thought I was completely crackers with the amount of praise my horse got :)

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
JVB - well done indeed, and thanks for sharing... a great encouragement especially for some of us spooky riders! Hope you go from strength to strength together.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Very well done! It's very hard to keep calm and keep on keeping on with a spooky horse. Good for you for taking the time to regroup and put the hours in.

Is she the coloured horse in your sig?