We did it!!! we moved!!

Horsekaren

Visit site
And he is the happiest ive ever seen him living out 24/7!
He has gone from being top dog being a bit of a bully to bottom of the pack! He is grooming, playing and all in all just being a happy horse with zero attitude.
He has been there 4 days now ive ridden every day and we even went on a 40 min boxing day hack with two other horses :D its only taken me two years but we even had a short burst of canter outside of a school :D

My only concern is i have seen him cough twice as he is now on dry hay :( I'm not to sure how long to give it to see if it settles or if he cant cope with it. Does anyone have a rough idea what the equivalent cost is for two hay rounds is but for Haylage? My places are shut over xmas so cant ask.

Picture of the happy boy on Christmas morning 49101797_10157395418764063_4695922640773185536_n.jpg

Horsekaren

Visit site
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant moving him.

I think, just for now, I would monitor his cough and see if it clears, as he gets used to being out 24/7. Sometimes that does happen but of course, not in all cases.
:D Honestly the relief of him being happy again is the best feeling ever!
He did go in his own paddock overnight the first day, he was suppose to say in it for a week but we dont think he stayed in it long past 4pm as when i went back in the morning to check on him i was greeted by four happy horses coming out of the mist. He had ducked under the tape, i had a feeling he wouldnt stay there once the others wondered off to their sleeping spot :D

meleeka

Visit site
:D Honestly the relief of him being happy again is the best feeling ever!
He did go in his own paddock overnight the first day, he was suppose to say in it for a week but we dont think he stayed in it long past 4pm as when i went back in the morning to check on him i was greeted by four happy horses coming out of the mist. He had ducked under the tape, i had a feeling he wouldnt stay there once the others wondered off to their sleeping spot :D

Probably the least stressful way to introduce himself :)

I’m glad he’s happy being a horse :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think it's really feasible to soak for one horse of a group, you aren't going to control which bale/pile they are eating from, and you don't want to be generating waste water unnecessarily if you are having to ship it to site. Not everyone has the luxury of a mains connected refilling trough ;).

I'd just monitor him for the time being HK, I'm most excited that you are hacking already :D

LaurenBay

Visit site
I don't think it's really feasible to soak for one horse of a group, you aren't going to control which bale/pile they are eating from, and you don't want to be generating waste water unnecessarily if you are having to ship it to site. Not everyone has the luxury of a mains connected refilling trough ;).

I'd just monitor him for the time being HK, I'm most excited that you are hacking already :D

This, no point just soaking one pile.

I would monitor him for the time being and if he really stuggles then perhaps ask the others if they would consider hayalge instead?

I am so glad he is happy, I bet you are so relieved!

Horsekaren

Visit site
And today! in the aim of progress :D ...
We had our second hack and for the very first time having owned my horse 20 months i finally had the courage to have a canter out on a hack!!!!!
Only about 250 meters and i did lose a stirrup half way, didn't unbalance myself carried on and he was a trooper!!!

I have been so scared of doing that but finally we plucked up the courage and did it!!!! :D

On top of the world today!

DD

Visit site
Well Done this is great news. I wouldn't worry too much about the cough, my cob coughs on hay but not much and hes fine. I think we tend to over worry sometimes xx

Horsekaren

Visit site
This is a far cry from the person who first came on here asking for advice on a horse spooking in walk in the school. Well done!
haha! He doesn't spook much at all any more! i think that was all rider educed :p he was a bit nosey at a Shetland being turned out this morning, even i was! it was a mini him, same face same colour, i think he thought where is my shadow going :'D

starfish8

Visit site
Late to the party as usual but... yay! Really pleased for you and him. Both on the move and your growing confidence - isn't it interesting how much of our confidence/happiness feeds off theirs... and yet when you're in a bad situation it can be so hard to see.

Surbie

Visit site
Well done - am so glad the move went well and he is settled and happy. It makes such a difference. And huge well done on the hacking out and cantering. Big steps!! I haven't done much of that with mine, but it does feel great when I do. :D