We got a new pony! What do you think?

HashRouge

Visit site
Maybe because it might not a wholly bad idea - SB isn't planning on small riding it now...

Ditto
It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me particularly. The OP didn't say she was going to stick the two in a stable together and leave them be :p
Nice companion pony, fun project for the OP and her small person helpers and hopefully a good lead rein pony in a few years time. If not, no harm done, the OP will have plenty of time to work that out before her little girl is really ready to start doing much with the pony.

I think he's lovely btw OP. My YO's daughter had a Welsh A as her first pony and he is a super star. They still have him even though he's too small and assorted small people come up to ride him and enjoy him. He's taught an awful lot to a lot of kids :). Hope your little one turns out like that :)

Starbucks

Visit site
You can always trust good old HHO to put a downer on things can't you. Maybe if my horse hadn't just died i wouldn't have been in a rush to get something.. I wasn't actually asking for advice either.

I remember why i stopped coming on here.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wasn't intending putting a downer on it, just said I was surprised at the response! Maybe you missed the tongue in cheek smiley on my first post? As it is I think it has gotten you even more ah cutes than you would have done otherwise

buy some daz :p

Mariposa

Visit site
My ponies growing up were all Welsh A's & B's! Beautiful kids ponies :D

Mine too! They are the best! I had a fat grey called Rosie and then an even fatter strawberry roan called Bluebell who taught me so much!

Looks like a really gorgeous looking pony, I'm jealous!

ozpoz

Visit site
Love the breeding! Lovely pony. I had one who was an absolute angel with tiny jockeys, trotting sweetly round stubble with a wobbly 4 year old off lead rein, taking the greatest care.

Welsh ponies of all ages excel at lead rein, first ridden and whp classes - why on earth would anyone think they aren't suitable? It will be as good as it is trained to be. Have lots of fun with your lovely pony.

LittleGinger

Visit site
He's lovely, Starbucks. If he's shown he has at least experienced the world a bit and I'm sure you tried him (as well as you can a 3yo!) before deciding to buy.

My first pony was a D and although he had his moments (cough) he was a superstar underneath it all. I trusted him with my nephews - they pottered around on him at 5 and 6, learning to bump along to trot. He had the patience of a saint with them. He's living out his retirement with me now. I've heard of a few going through 'teenage years' at four and five and then being wonderful from 7 onwards - which is about the age you'll need him to be wonderful :) I would have another Welsh in a heartbeat.

So sorry to hear about your horse. I know they can never be replaced but I hope this little sweetheart brings you joy.

minesadouble

Visit site
Lovely pony OP. I have done a similar thing twice. Bought a small yearling section B whilst pregnant with my first daughter and a 2 year old section A for my second daughter whilst she was still a baby.
Both turned out fine, you just need a bit of a 'no nonsense' approach with kids ponies. This is my middle daughter on the sec. A at her first show just months after she was broken. Daughter is 3 pony is 4. The biggest problem I've had with my A is keeping the weight off her, it's so hard with a kid's pony as you don't want them getting 'fit'. I am more than aware the pony is fat in this pic incidentally so dietary advice not required ;)

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
Are you sure he isn't for you!! Looks lovely though and I assume if you bought him for a ten month old his temperament is lovely. I know you will have lots of fun pottering with him at shows

mcnaughty

Visit site
Totally agree with mines a double - I bought a 2 year old for my 4yo daughter and we broke him together. He was totally bomb proof because we took him out to shows practically every weekend during his 3rd year (first show in the May he stood on his hind legs but by September he was asleep in the lineup!). You need to train them well and train them hard!! Dont let them take an inch when it comes to handling - naughty ponies are made by careless owners!!

marmalade76

Visit site
Well yes but I don't think welshies are proper kids mounts till at least well into their teens! Worse than shetlands and faster :p and not always the best and standing asleep while small people that aren't riding them yet potter about and brush the bits they can reach while being careful not to knock over said small person.

Wash your mouth out! Our registered sec B was ten when we bought her and will tolerate (and has always) any amount of mauling from small children (it's other equines you can't trust her with :D )

Image042.jpg

DSCF2644.jpg

182631_183053845064090_100000784278256_397206_1936513_n.jpg

182225_183053891730752_100000784278256_397207_3408763_n.jpg

185267_223587541010720_100000784278256_585432_5321851_n.jpg

184010_233540030015471_100000784278256_613282_5821182_n.jpg

225769_223585664344241_100000784278256_585430_759670_n.jpg

That said, I agree with you re this particular situation - mad.

rachk89

Visit site
For some reason I can't get past page 1 of this thread so dunno what anyone else has said.

Nice pony but what are you going to do if the 10 month old doesn't like horses? Guessing just keep as a companion?

EmmasMummy

Visit site
BAHHAHA! I did the same thing in 2010. Impulse buy! Still not sure he is a child pony but he has a happy child riding him (not my child!) . She wants the scrawny, heinz 57 who trots as fast as I walk and farts a lot.

I see your ones grandsire is the same as ours Great Grand Sire. Penual Mark...he must get about a bit, lol.

Sec A's are right pretty ponies though!

My youngest will ride him hopefully as #1 is going to be too tall soon! She is 4ft already :( .

Last edited: