We have a baby clydesdale!

cblover

Visit site
Both her parents are 17hh but she's a first foal, so possibly not that big but I'd say over 16hh for definite.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I've not been on the forum for a bit and missed this thread. What a beautiful girl Scrappy is. I'm imagining her being called scrappy when she is over 16hh lol, but the name has to stay!!! Please!!!

I hope she brings you much joy. You deserve it!!!

cblover

Visit site
Thank you atlantis, she brings a smile to my face everyday. I think I'll call her Scrappy forever but hubby has named her Mary Valentine....hasn't quite got the same ring as Scrappy! lol

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Thank you atlantis, she brings a smile to my face everyday. I think I'll call her Scrappy forever but hubby has named her Mary Valentine....hasn't quite got the same ring as Scrappy! lol

No it needs to be Scrappy. It'll be beautifully ironic when she's grown and you'll get to explain the reason behind the name. I love Mary Valentine for a proper grown up name!!!

Annagain

Visit site
No it needs to be Scrappy. It'll be beautifully ironic when she's grown and you'll get to explain the reason behind the name. I love Mary Valentine for a proper grown up name!!!

Me too but I think Scrappy is also great. Maybe Tiny would be a nod to her real name but would have the same irony as Scrappy later on in life?

cblover

Visit site
Morning all, well Scrappy is like a mushroom growing both upwards and out. She's now 10 month old. She's still holding onto a lot of winter coat but I'm grooming her regular to help things along. I've also been reading Sarah Weston's book No fear, No force with regard to touching vulnerable areas and I've invested in a £1 feather duster to work on her legs and under her belly....as recommended. She's starting to show her character a bit more and loves hubby. He's spending quite a bit of time with her and its really paying off. She can try and nip a few times when she feels threatened but nothing too bad. My main concern is not being able to pick her feet up yet, especially the backs and she'll need the farrier soon. But of course, with being twitched the last time for them done its not going to be straight forward. We'll get there though.

Here she is with my other mare Lulu.............

Bum high me thinks!

She's bendy too! lol

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
lovely to see her beginning to grow upwards....hope you keep this thread going so we can see her progress like adorable alice has done with ted. she is looking loads better and will look even better when she gets her summer coat....have fun!!!!

Adopter

Visit site
She looks so much better, lovely to see the progress. Hope you solve the feet issue, sad that she was twitched and has had a bad experience but hopefully you will sort before she is too big and can use her strength against you!

Ladyinred

Visit site
We had the self same problem with my mare. She had been forcibly restrained and beaten with a blue pipe to have her feet trimmed (read.. hacked about) the morning before we collected her. She was virtually unhandled and it was a cruel thing to have done.. 4 big men forcibly restraining a very weak 14:2 as she was then. We put off and put off asking my farrier to trim her and worked with a glove, stuffed and attached to a stick to touch her hinds.. she kicked, literally for her life. She was terrified. Eventually farrier watched her and decided that the only thing to do was to get her out of her stable and he would work with her. He is a wonderful farrier and very very patient, he spent ages stroking and scratching her to introduce himself and then picked up a hind. She kicked and fought like blazes, but he hung on with never a cross word or raised voice and she actually gave up quite quickly. He trimmed her that day, not brilliantly as he refused to push her.

The next time he came she was almost perfect and has never looked back. He explained that his theory is that when it is genuine fear rather than bolshiness the best way is to persevere and let them learn that nothing dreadful happens.. it will all be ok and is soon over.

Ask your farrier what he sees as the best approach. Sometimes we are so worried about scaring a baby that has had a bad time that we actually make it worse for them.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Yay, more pics! She's so lovely :) And Lulu is a beauty as well! What a pretty face.

I love the name Scrappy, but also like the idea in an earlier post of shortening Mary Valentine to 'Tiny' when she grows up!

Ladyinred, that's so sad. Lucky girl to end up with you and your careful, kind farrier.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Missed this first time round, she is lovely and what a difference in the photos from when you got her to now! I second (or third, fourth, fifth....!) the idea of you keeping this thread up like AA has done with Ted, it would be wonderful to see her progress :)

Sponymum

Visit site
Have just read this from start to finish what a gorgeous girl she is and well done you for coming to her rescue! It sound and looks as though your making great progress! Cant wait to see how she progress's x

cblover

Visit site
Morning all, big day for Scrappy today! She's having the farrier for the first time. I'm a little anxious as she's not great with picking her feet up but we've been working really hard with her each day to build her confidence. We've been big with the positive praise when she does good and she's coming on so much. In fact I think I'd be bold enough to say.....she's nearly looking like a real horse!!! See what you think.......

She's 10 month old now! Her bum is around 14hh I'd say....she's going to be a big girl! lol
I'm so pleased we were able to save her and give her the life she deserves, its a great feeling.

Ladyinred

Visit site
She's looking great, so different to when you got her.

I hope she surprises you and is good with the farrier. Afraid with one of ours I resorted to standing by him with a pocket full of teeny tiny chopped up apple and carrot to keep his mind off what was going on; funnily the two we have who had been seriously neglected were never a huge problem, maybe because we spent so much time and effort on them and assumed Mr Goody-two-shoes would be his usual laid back self!

cblover

Visit site
She amazed me with the farrier actually. Both front feet were no bother at all and after some gentle coaxing with the back, she did herself proud. There was quite a lot of growth on them so I'm more than relieved it's been done. I'll continue to work on them for next time. Bless her!!!

Bradsmum

Visit site
Congratulations to you and to Mary Valentine. I haven't commented before but have been following this thread. She is just gorgeous and the care and patience you and Mr CBL have shown her is shining through and will be rewarded as 'Scrappy' learns and GROWS as she's shown today.

cblover

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I'm sure we'll have plenty more challenges but for now we've got this one sorted. Lol. Her feet look much better, she must feel better too.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
She is gorgeous, good girl having her feet done too. Must take a lot of trust for a young horse to allow you to lift its feet as they are flight animals.

cblover

Visit site
Morning all, a little Scrappy update for you. She'll be one next month, although she looks nowhere near that old. Poor thing. She's got hubby very well trained and I think he's a little bit in love....not that he'd ever say so! lol She's changing colour too, going from a dark rich red to a much lighter almost grey look in parts. Whatever she ends up, it'll be perfect!
Here she is.......

No matter how much we brush her, there is just more hair. I think she's half wooly mammoth. lol It's probably been the only thing keeping her alive.