we have a new plan and tactics for Royal Cornwall.

LollyDolly

Visit site
I agree with AM and Lolo, up his workload in the buildup to the show! :D

Also I'd turnout as much as possible if I were you, if I kept my boy stabled for an extended period of time and then took him to a show he'd be shooting across that show field like a firework! But then again all horses are different and what works for one may not work for another :D

Moomin1

Visit site
I'd work the sox of him. 2 hours every day, hacking. Hes not getting enough work.

I'd also nock his hard feed on the head.

I think that's far too much for him, he's still only a baby. Why do that just for the sake of trying to calm him down at a show?

QB I would take a step or two back and take things slower than you are with him. He doesn't need 'working the socks off' at his age, he needs nice gentle introductions to different environments and situations.

I would just deal with his behaviour on the day - it's no big deal, just let him accustom.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
This is the routine we used when I worked as a groom for an inhand show hunter tb age 3. Out in a paddock for the morning or afternoon depending on the weather, he was lunged and ridden for about an hour.

On arrival at the showground(we always arrived the day before his class and always county shows) he was lunged and ridden. The next morning again lunged then groomed before going into the ring which was usually 8-30 or 9-00.

He was fed horse nuts and hay that was all there was in those days(he wasnt fed oats:D). He was a very tempermental horse but absolutely stunning.

He was at the time the only horse to win the Queens Cup in hand and under saddle(different years).

I hope you have as much success with Ben as we had.:)

Lolo

Visit site
I think that's far too much for him, he's still only a baby. Why do that just for the sake of trying to calm him down at a show?

QB I would take a step or two back and take things slower than you are with him. He doesn't need 'working the socks off' at his age, he needs nice gentle introductions to different environments and situations.

I would just deal with his behaviour on the day - it's no big deal, just let him accustom.

I thought he was 6?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

He's 4. And provided he's not hammered, there's no reason his work can't be upped. And then turned away after RC.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I love reading your posts OP, but I don't think you'll like what I'm going to say. I'm in a similar position to you , 4 year old (but unbacked- that will be later this year) off to first county show soon. He's been to 3 RC local shows, where he's behaved impeccably- I made sure of this before I entered the county show, but agree with other posters who say county could be better as separate horse walkways, generally more organised, etc, etc.

I don't know, but maybe Ben is picking up on your anticipation about the whole thing? I notice from your posts you're putting lots of effort into the show, but maybe to the point where he's sensing your nerves/excitement/or just wondering what's going on because you're changing his routine/giving him calmers/changing his bit etc? I've not done anything different with mine, no special feed, calmers, change to routine or muscling up programme because for me it's just the experience. I genuinely couldn't care less if he comes last, because for me as long as he can deal with the situation I'll be over the moon with him. He'll be in the field the day before, and then loaded up in plenty of time to have a good walk around when we arrive, and I'll take lots of hay to occupy him before his class. If I get there and he's not dealing with it, he won't be going into the ring and will I spend the time walking around in hand, in a bridle, until he settles- even if it takes all day and I've wasted my money. I've got to say, there's no way on this Earth I'd be considering keeping him stabled just for a show, if I felt I had to do that to keep a lid on him, then he wouldn't be going to the show- he's only 4. IMO, just relax and don't turn it into a big deal (which, from your posts, it sounds like you are).

Do what you've been doing with him, go with the idea that you might not even make it into the ring and are going to accustom him to the sights and sounds of a big showground- I can see that you just want the best for him, and for him to do well, but I think that's more likely if you just cool it a bit, relax and remember it's meant to be fun, not a military operation :)

Kat

Visit site
For the next week or so until the show I don't think 2hrs work a day for a 4yr old who is brimming with energy is a problem as long as the work is age appropriate. Go for lots of long hacks or combine a short schooling session with a hack.

RunToEarth

Visit site
QB - I have read a few of your posts recently and I honestly cannot believe you are going to your first county on the horse's second outing, I think that is really unfair, you haven't given him any chance to take in the atmosphere of your average local/agricultural show, let alone everything that comes with a county show.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
QB - I have read a few of your posts recently and I honestly cannot believe you are going to your first county on the horse's second outing, I think that is really unfair, you haven't given him any chance to take in the atmosphere of your average local/agricultural show, let alone everything that comes with a county show.

I know plenty of people for whom a first show for the horse has been at County level.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can you get him out and about in the lorry as well. To dull boring but new places preferably. My 4 yr old is about as chilled as they come even at a busy venue and its because I trailer her to lessons, the beach, clinics, hacks etc and now its just normal. She has been in the trailer at least once a week since I got her 8 months ago. I don't think they need show experience to cope at shows, but life experience helps and it sounds like his is quite sheltered.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lots of walking exercise but as long you are confident you can hang on to him in the ring go for the day out and don't pressure yourself or him.
Personally I would not rest after a show like this I would keep working as this what brings them on .

AMW

Visit site
for a horse that pretty much lives out, stabling at a big show can be an ordeal in itself and they can get so tucked up in a very short space of time, some on the other hand love a little stay away.
I do agree that the bigger shows are better in as much as you have proper walk ways and most competitors do know what they are doing.
good luck and enjoy, its your horse so enjoy the experience and your day

RunToEarth

Visit site
I know plenty of people for whom a first show for the horse has been at County level.

After reading her account of her show this weekend just gone, and the way the horse reacted to an atmosphere it evidently hadn't been exposed to before, I would not box it up and take it to a much bigger show, I don't know anyone who would.

Zebedee

Visit site
I can't quote as on phone, and I don't know the horse other than what I've read on here but if this was one of mine he wouldn't be going. He doesn't sound as if he's ready and I have to say I wouldn't describe the horse area at rings 2 / 3 at RCS as 'quiet'. There is a 'countryside' demonstration adjacent to the warm up which frequently has loud demonstations. There is a lot of 'too-ing and fro-ing' from rings to stables / lorry park, and on top of all that the coloured sections are generally huge. Sorry OP it just sounds to me as if your horse just hasn't had enough preparation to be ready mentally for it. Having said all that he is your horse, and at the end of the day only you can decide what is best for him.

AMW

Visit site
I took one Welsh pony to the Royal Highland Show one year and he basically froze at the sight of it all. Ive had ones who were so high all I can say is Im glad I do ponies not horses.
This year at the Royal Welsh my yearling will be in the middle ring in the main ring with the section Ds one side and Bs the other, she will either behave or go into meltdown.
The big shows are great to compete at but so much buzzier and either bring out the best as they rise to the occasion or the worst if they find it all too much, however they want to express themselves :)
Practice your leading in hand, walk him & walk him & walk him some more, he's an adult, he should behave.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
If i'm being honest, i'd say he's not ready.
What's the point in "getting experience" at this big show if the experience is 80% likely to be a bad one (based on how he has already reacted). It just doesn't seem worth it - giving him a bad memory just for something you want.

ETA - A 4 year old should not be being worked enough that it makes them too tired to act up. He's still very much a baby and whilst exercise is good for him, he should not have too much exercise. Why leave a bad taste in his mouth regarding exercise just for the purpose of tiring him out for one show.

And no wonder the poor guy is flipping out on hacks, he's a baby and is still learning. You seem to expect him to act more like an 8 year old than a 4 year old.

Last edited:

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I have a newly backed 8 yr old (So 4 in her brain)
I am considering a county show - but I have squeezed in 9 or 10 varied outings before!

The fact that she is a cool cucumber at all times so far (Typical Cleveland Bay attitude) is a comfort to me - however I will be sooo chufffed just to get to the show and manage a decent display.

For me - Reading all your posts OP - I would say he is not ready - Save yourself time, money and most of all dissapointment by trying something else.

If he does get to the show and explode and asked to leave the ring - what have you gained??

It is ONLY next week!!! I think get him settled first then think about shows and things - Why the panic to get him to this one???

I just want you and horse to have a nice day out - no pressure just learning is fun - I think this may be emotionally stressful for you -and a freak out for him.

Last edited:

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Right.....I'm just thinking a few smaller, local low key shows under his belt first ,possibly not even to compete..... may have been a better introduction for him....

FWIW... if I kept any of my hot headed horses in for several days, even with time out for exercise, then took them to a big show.....I'd be expecting fireworks.

But I'm sure you know best:)

^^This if you wanted to set yourself up for sucesss.

HBM1

Visit site
I know our hedgerows and countryside has changed hugely in the last month. Green hedges, wildlife flying in and out, fields suddenly yellow from rape seed flowers. I imagine your youngster is noticing all this too.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Given his behaviour at the last show I'd wait and go next year tbh. If he'd been fine last week and taken it all in his stride then great but he wasn't didn't and I'd be surprised whether any of the planned exercise/calmers are really going to make any significant difference to him on the day/by Thursday.

cronkmooar

Visit site
I commented on the show postmortem thread but have obviously got the wrong end of the stick as I hadn't really been following.

I thought the horse was becoming excitable because he had been to quiet a few shows and knew what the score was and that is why you needed to change the bit from a snaffle. This will teach me to read previous threads!

My opinion, FWIW, and I have done a fair bit of showing is as follows:

1. I think its unreasonable to stable any horse for significant lengths of time if it is unnecessary. I also think that the lack of turnout is more likely to go against you than for you.

2. You say that you think grass is the problem - but this is always going to be a problem, do you really want to get into habit of stabling your horse for days on end before a show?

3. Personally I think riding something into the ground so that it will do what you want is again unreasonable.

4. Again, personally, I would never ride a 4 yr old for 2 hours every day - hacking or otherwise

Obviously its your horse, and you can do what you want - but I presume that one day you are going to want to do ridden classes as well as in hand?

You need to get the foundations right and build on them - otherwise you are heading for disaster and tears before bedtime!

He is 4 years old, you have all the time in the world to go to county shows, there is no need to rush this year. I would accept it has all gone pear shaped and start again with a new plan, with more preparation, your goal being NEXT YEARS county shows.

Showing is supposed to be fun - are either you or your horse having fun at the moment?

Stay at home, hack out, enjoy your horse and towards the end of the summer start to take him out again.

Most show secretaries are extremely helpful. If you phone a local club and explain the situation they will usually let you come down and walk around without the presure of entering a class - I would offer the cost of a class though out of manners. These days the season doesn't really end so there are plenty of winter shows to goto, including winter championship shows if everything comes together.

Yes its disappointing, and there is the loss of entry fees, however having a horse that you can't take anywhere is a much bigger price to pay.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I really do think its the sensible one

Good luck with whatever you decide

pip6

Visit site
Having entered twice at county shows & not got there (e.g. the dreaded kick in the field marking them the week before....), have to say the entry is still excellent value as you get 2 adult tickets as part of the entry fee. This means you have paid under 50% the price of an adult entry for each person.

Whatever you decide, all the best. Hope you enjoy the show.

charlie76

Visit site
Ok. Im going to say something and prob be shot for it but you obviously love your horse and he is nice enough but he isn't a county level show horse, sorry. No amount of preparation now is going to change that.
It isn't about having a coloured horse so it must be good enough to go in the coloured class, they need to the same paces, quality and perfect conformation as a solid colour show horse.
I know you will I am harsh and will go anyway but with the above point in mind just relax and have a nice day

Charem

Visit site
Whilst several more outings would have been more ideal, go along, have fun and enjoy the experience. If it's too much for him just ask the steward permission to leave and have a mooch round instead.

Goodl luck :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Personally I think riding something into the ground so that it will do what you want is again unreasonable.

Where has it been suggested that the horse be ridden in to the ground?