We lost our foal today.

koeffee

Visit site
Sadly today my Welsh B mare lost her foal during foaling. All seemed to be going well to start with then too much time was passing with nothing happening. I called the vet who arrived in 10 minutes. Before he arrived a head was visible, not in the sack and no legs to be seen. Eventually the foal was born but was already dead.

We had so desperately wanted this foal which was to be our last for a while. The little mare has always wanted to steal foals from other mares and we had spent a lot of time, money and effort to actually get her in foal last year.

To see her desperately trying to get the foal to move etc was heart wrenching. We left them together for a while and when we went to remove the foal she was lying down with him up against her tummy as though asleep. That was what really finished me off.

She is out in the field at the moment and seems to have settled. As a maiden mare I guess she is not quite sure what it was all about.

so sorry having lost a foal my self this week i know what you going through, poor mare. heart goes out to her.

Rollin

Visit site
Heartbroken for you and your poor mare. I have only just seen the post and could cry for you. Extra sad when it is a special foal for you.

We lost a Cleveland Bay colt the day he was born - for us it was really tragic as they are so rare.

We could not remove the foal for three days and our mare really grieved for her baby. Mares are such good mothers it just adds to the heartache.

((((hugs))))

I hope you feel happier soon, an awful experience.

Alec Swan

Visit site
For those who loose their dreams and ambitions, it must be made so much worse, when the rest of us are doing cartwheels over our successes.

How awful for you, and if it's of any conciliation, then NO, I don't take my current (and fragile) success for granted. You must be devastated. Truly, I'm so sorry.

Alec.

Last edited:

elizabeth1

Visit site
this has brought back memories of our lovely mare Betty who lost her foal last year.An experienced mother she was overwhelmed with grief-at least that is how it looked to us.We attempted to find a foster foal and our vet duly skinned our dead foal in preparation for this and she stood over the skin in stable and field for 2 days whilst we looked for a foster foal and milked her.Suddenly the window for fostering passed.She seemed to realise it was dead ,resented us milking her and attempted to bury it in the dust bowl in the corner of the field. She went to join her daughter and our other two mares back in the herd.She never looked back after that and started eating well again.A traumatic 48 hours for us all and then back to normal.
It is so devastating and I am thinking of you.

roseview

Visit site
Thanks everybody for your good wishes. Razzle is coping quite well, which is more than can be said for me. She has a full udder, poor sweetheart and could be available as a foster mum if required.

elumpshie

Visit site
So sorry for your lose its heart breaking I lost my colt last year after a difficult time mare had c section then after 5 days had to put my lovley wee man to sleep such a hard time for you and your mare :( xxx

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sadly today my Welsh B mare lost her foal during foaling. All seemed to be going well to start with then too much time was passing with nothing happening. I called the vet who arrived in 10 minutes. Before he arrived a head was visible, not in the sack and no legs to be seen. Eventually the foal was born but was already dead.

We had so desperately wanted this foal which was to be our last for a while. The little mare has always wanted to steal foals from other mares and we had spent a lot of time, money and effort to actually get her in foal last year.

To see her desperately trying to get the foal to move etc was heart wrenching. We left them together for a while and when we went to remove the foal she was lying down with him up against her tummy as though asleep. That was what really finished me off.

She is out in the field at the moment and seems to have settled. As a maiden mare I guess she is not quite sure what it was all about.

:(:(:(:(
healing vibes for you and this mare how awful what a tragic end to what was supposed to be an amazing experience, so sorry for you both.

thinking of you at this awful timexxx