We the Broken ones.

TrasaM

Visit site
Wondered how my fellow broken and bruised ones are getting on.
I got a bit squashed 3 weeks ago when the horse I was riding spooked spun and slipped. He landed on his side with me still in he saddle ( I think) Anyhow now three weeks on and am still having trouble with my shoulder and have had 3 massage and acupuncture sessions which are helping to free up the muscles in my shoulder and arm. She thinks that another two sessions and I'll be ready for some physio work which should strengthen the muscles and hopefully remedy the damage done by the fall and also address the damage done a year ago when I broke the collarbone. On the same side of course! Lesson learnt ; I should have kept on with the physiotherapy last year but once my arm was mobile I forgot. :(

So how is everyone else getting on with their healing?

LC2013

Visit site
I'm still broken. Had a stroke and lost all movement in left side of body. Can now stand and walk with a stick and physio . Going for rehab in one week and fingers xef be able to walk and ride when I get out!!
Bloody hard work tho both physically and emotionally! I've been I'm hospital for 10 weeks- not fun- at all!!

TrasaM

Visit site
LC2013.I Saw your post on another thread. I hope that your rehab goes well. How on earth do you cope with that long in hospital! You've had a really rough time by the sounds of it. Hugs xx

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
TrasaM; Stick with it, I'm sure you'll get there. Sounds horrid though what with the horse falling too. I'm getting over a fracture to my vertebrae as a result of a riding lesson !! Yep, sitting trot without stirrups, I grip, my horse (who has since passed away, god love him) thinks 'oh canter' I think 'oh no', I grip and so it goes for two rounds of the school, flying changes, collected canter etc) He didn't put a hoof wrong, I exit stage left! This happened last October and only in the last five months have I felt physically strong enough again. It takes determination and hard work as I'm sure you know. I was starting to feel much better and so got back on my boy but after just one week, he died. He got Equine Grass Sickness and was gone within 24hours so not only did I have to deal with the physical hurt but more importantly the emotional hurt. He was my first horse and only 9. That hurts much, much more than my back.

LC2013; my hat goes off to you. I had 5 days in hospital and that was enough. You make me realise how resilient we all are; or is it the connection with the horse that makes us so? I don't know how you find your inner strength, I'm not sure I'd be as strong. I really hope you get there and you get back to some sense of normality, the one that you want it to be. I'm sending you positive vibes for your recovery. Do let us know how you get on (((hugs)))

EventingMum

Visit site
LC2013 good luck with the rehab. I have worked with several stroke victims through RDA and riding has been hugely beneficial to them.

I'm also broken. I took ill last year and suffered a facial paralysis, one sided weakness and numbness. Some time in hospital, numerous scans and tests later with more to come I still don't have a definitive diagnosis just CNS neuropathy. I'm walking with two crutches and my balance is dreadful which leaves me very tired. My RA has also flared up and I'm currently in bed with a heavy cold / chest infection so I'm feeling rather sorry for myself. My elderly father is also very ill and is a palliative care patient in hospital so I'm trying to visit him each day too . All in all I'm probably just feeling a bit sorry for myself and reading other people's posts I guess I just need to give myself a shake and get on with things as best I can!

I hope everyone else feels better / heals as soon as possible.

EventingMum

Visit site
Felt I couldn't read and run. I wish a speedy recovery to you all, and EventingMum thoughts are with you and your father.

Thank you, the rough times definitely make you appreciate the good times! This thread has made me decide to try to focus on the positives in my life and the things I have to look forward to in the future.

TrasaM

Visit site
Eventingmum. Having spend a few years feeling weak and unwell with no diagnoses I know what you are going through. In my case it was Lyme disease and I only got tested because of a chance conversation with someone which made me realise that I was experiencing the same symptons. Always worth a test if all other routes are exhausted btw even if you've not been aware of having had a tick bite. It took me 4 years to get diagnosed !
WorldisComplete. So sorry about your horse. ,My OH was joking about me being more worried about the horse than myself. Guess its hard to comprehend for non horsey folks. Mine( share horse) had a few bad grazes from gravel and very sore for a few days. I've not ridden him since as I need to be able to jump off quickly which I can't yet manage :)

EventingMum

Visit site
Eventingmum. Having spend a few years feeling weak and unwell with no diagnoses I know what you are going through. In my case it was Lyme disease and I only got tested because of a chance conversation with someone which made me realise that I was experiencing the same symptons. Always worth a test if all other routes are exhausted btw even if you've not been aware of having had a tick bite. It took me 4 years to get diagnosed !
WorldisComplete. So sorry about your horse. ,My OH was joking about me being more worried about the horse than myself. Guess its hard to comprehend for non horsey folks. Mine( share horse) had a few bad grazes from gravel and very sore for a few days. I've not ridden him since as I need to be able to jump off quickly which I can't yet manage :)

I've been tested for Lymes and came back negative. I had high doses of if steroids when in hospital which seemed to help initially but may have just coincided with a natural improvement. Initially the main investigations were either for ms or a stroke (as seemingly not all small bleeds show clearly on scans). The brain scan showed some "changes" and the lumbar puncture sample had white blood cells in it and ems tests showed up the weakness on one side but according to my neurologist these symptoms can be indicative of several things so a definitive diagnosis is hard which is frustrating.

Once again I hope everyone improves soon and can get back to enjoying horses before too long.

Waffles

Visit site
I'm broken and mending.... (have a thread on the go about riding again after a nasty accident - broke my left femur - horse shot forward when tree came down behind us, I was heading towards branches so kind of bailed off, rolled for several seconds and my leg hit a rock, snapping it in half) - am 12 weeks on and can walk unaided but with a limp and only on even ground really. Am certain I will make a full recovery and will probably be riding sometime next year, but don't know when yet as bone still needs to heal - I lost a bit of it in the break and it needs to grow back together (it has a rod in it now too)

Worried1

Visit site
LC2013 I hope you continue making good progress and at back riding soon.
I'm two weeks on from surgery, still non-weight bearing but more comfortable. Still really hoping to make the winter regionals but if not I'm aiming for the winter championships. CP is also having a break so enjoying watching her munching from my sitting room. Fed up of daytime TV!!!!!!

Waffles

Visit site
I'm two weeks on from surgery, still non-weight bearing but more comfortable. Still really hoping to make the winter regionals but if not I'm aiming for the winter championships. CP is also having a break so enjoying watching her munching from my sitting room. Fed up of daytime TV!!!!!!

what was your accident, Worried1?

Waffles

Visit site
I'm still broken. Had a stroke and lost all movement in left side of body. Can now stand and walk with a stick and physio . Going for rehab in one week and fingers xef be able to walk and ride when I get out!!
Bloody hard work tho both physically and emotionally! I've been I'm hospital for 10 weeks- not fun- at all!!
I hope you get well soon!

LongInTheTooth

Visit site
Not just me then! Probable ms diagnosis. Can't walk properly, losing/lost feeling in body, hands useless....no fun for former fine artist/tattooist :( can't even hold a pen. Been in for tests and MRI scan... Waiting to go back in for lumbar puncture :( is it horrid? Gave my mare away as couldn't cope. Luckily she's fell on her hooves and is in an excellent new home so at least I don't have her to worry about, although I miss her everyday. Hugs and best wishes to all broken people, particularly those with neurological problems xx

Worried1

Visit site
what was your accident, Worried1?
No accident, I was born with an encased left hip, it got progressively worse and I had to have bone removed from my left hip and it's now fractured.
It went well as there was the possibility of a joint replacement, this should give me another 15 years before I need that.

Waffles

Visit site
No accident, I was born with an encased left hip, it got progressively worse and I had to have bone removed from my left hip and it's now fractured.
It went well as there was the possibility of a joint replacement, this should give me another 15 years before I need that.
good luck!

EventingMum

Visit site
Not just me then! Probable ms diagnosis. Can't walk properly, losing/lost feeling in body, hands useless....no fun for former fine artist/tattooist :( can't even hold a pen. Been in for tests and MRI scan... Waiting to go back in for lumbar puncture :( is it horrid? Gave my mare away as couldn't cope. Luckily she's fell on her hooves and is in an excellent new home so at least I don't have her to worry about, although I miss her everyday. Hugs and best wishes to all broken people, particularly those with neurological problems xx

I won't lie and say it's a pleasant experience however I think mine was worse as the doctor said she couldn't get my spine to "open up" to allow the needle in so there as a lot of forceful pushing on my hips to try help. It took longer than usual and so I became very tense and was glad when it was over. My OH has had two, the first was a nightmare due to an inexperienced doctor who had to get someone more capable to take over, with the second he didn't even know it had been done it was over so quickly and easily. Hopefully yours will fall in to the later category.

LC2013

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I'm confident I will recover but I'm not sure the nurses here are! Off to rehab next Wednesday so will do all I can to return to normal. Keep getting told I will have to accept everything will be different and it will be a "new normal" I've had a brain injury but I'm still all there- my mind is fine so I don't see why I can't return to my normal. I just need a working arm and leg that's all. If rehab can't fix me then I don't know what to do. I just want to return home, ride, walk the dog, go out, have fun and do normal things that's all! Only bad news is that rehab centre won't let me drink whereas doctor here almost encourages it! It's going to be like detox boot camp let's just hope I come out the other side!!
Good luck to everyone. Nothing is impossible when you put your mind to it!!
I'm just worried about my poor horse, she's at home doing nothing just waiting for my return. So for her I need to recover!!
Be positive and you'll get there xx

LC2013

Visit site

I know the feeling- when I get to go home I could watch my horse for hours, she must be bored stiff though!!
Dust time tv is shocking , Regis morning and Jeremy Kyle sre terrible! I end up chatting to nurses to make my day go quicker. Living in hospital is no fun at all. LuckilyOH and friends take me out regularly but it's still rubbish being stuck here. Hoping to be discharged from rehab before Xmas but they reckon 4-6 months! I have other ideas which I will happily share with them when I get three! Inky time will tel!!

TrasaM

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I'm confident I will recover but I'm not sure the nurses here are! Off to rehab next Wednesday so will do all I can to return to normal. Keep getting told I will have to accept everything will be different and it will be a "new normal" I've had a brain injury but I'm still all there- my mind is fine so I don't see why I can't return to my normal. I just need a working arm and leg that's all. If rehab can't fix me then I don't know what to do. I just want to return home, ride, walk the dog, go out, have fun and do normal things that's all! Only bad news is that rehab centre won't let me drink whereas doctor here almost encourages it! It's going to be like detox boot camp let's just hope I come out the other side!!
Good luck to everyone. Nothing is impossible when you put your mind to it!!
I'm just worried about my poor horse, she's at home doing nothing just waiting for my return. So for her I need to recover!!
Be positive and you'll get there xx

You are amazing. I'm now going to get my butt in gear and do my exercises totally shamed by what others are going through right now. Now where did I hide the rubber bands :)

Waffles

Visit site
I just want to return home, ride, walk the dog, go out, have fun and do normal things that's all! Only bad news is that rehab centre won't let me drink whereas doctor here almost encourages it! It's going to be like detox boot camp let's just hope I come out the other side!!

Lol at the detox boot camp - I only had 5 days of that in hospital - no fags, no booze, and ahem... constipated the whole time too - what fun! My poor horse is doing nothing too... I don't really want anyone else riding him as it took such a long time (18 months) to feel we had bonded - he wouldn't even let me brush him! I don't want all that hard work undone, and a few months off won't hurt him. I expect he might be traumatised too

LongInTheTooth

Visit site
I won't lie and say it's a pleasant experience however I think mine was worse as the doctor said she couldn't get my spine to "open up" to allow the needle in so there as a lot of forceful pushing on my hips to try help. It took longer than usual and so I became very tense and was glad when it was over. My OH has had two, the first was a nightmare due to an inexperienced doctor who had to get someone more capable to take over, with the second he didn't even know it had been done it was over so quickly and easily. Hopefully yours will fall in to the later category.

Eeep. :( thanks. Not s ure if I feel reassured or extra freaked out! Fingers crossed they know what they're doing then...

EventingMum

Visit site
Eeep. :( thanks. Not s ure if I feel reassured or extra freaked out! Fingers crossed they know what they're doing then...

Sorry, perhaps that was a bit too honest, at the end of the day remember it's only a very short time and will hopefully help you get a diagnosis. In my case the problem was my spine not the procedure itself and the second time my OH had it done he asked when the needle was going in only to be told it had been in and out and it was all over - he felt nothing at all! Good luck!