Weak stifles on a young horse?

travellingpony

Visit site
My mare has been plagued but one injury after another abscesses, torn hamstring the latest a bad kick and ligament damage. She's only 5 and has had a massive growth spurt.

Underlying since march has been an issue with very painful stifles both sides. She has been X-rayed and they are clear and her whole back too. Hind legs have also be xrayed from her endless injuries again all clear.

We have tried turning away and she is now out 24/7. She looks sound without a rider and on the lunge. As soon as one gets on her hind legs perform a penguine type shape and turn out. If you don't get off you get launched she has actually sat down once and damaged the hamstrings when I was told to ride through it.

She has had endless physio all that can be suggested is long lining as she can't be ridden but that hasn't made any difference either. She isn't naughty and the physio says is very sore. The vet says just keep longlinig or turn away another 12 months. Today I have hopped on as she looks great and same thing back end totally wrong. I have had her shod all round to try and support at the suggestion of the vet and physio still no progress.

Any thoughts anyone?

A bone scan was suggested but the insurance won't pay for it so at £1700 for a diagnosis only I'm a bit unsure so many people have had them be inconclusive. She's lovely quality mare it just seems such a shame.

Luci07

Visit site
She's growing. I would take the vets advice, turn her away and give her a year out to strengthen up. Seen it work many times with young horses who seem to have odd lamenesses. You don't say what breeding she is but any big horse needs time to grow.

doodle

Visit site
I would also say turn away for a year. Don't look too hard in the meantime and don't trot up etc endlessly. Then in a year time assess again.

travellingpony

Visit site
A maxi cob she's HUGE xxxw and about 16h. I have had someone else look and they could find nothing. The vet was in such shock he was convinced it would be stifle cysts she has grown a good hand since Christmas I hope that's all it is she's the horse of a lifetime it's just very frustrating.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree, turn her away, let her grow on. You may well be pleasantly surprised when you re-evaluate in 12 months time.

By turn away, I don't mean ignore her handle her but don't ask her to do any 'work' at all. I would take the shoes back off, I don't understand the vet's reasoning for them at all.

ETA A maxi cob is unlikely to be fully grown until 8/9, so she has a long way to go yet.

Luci07

Visit site
Good dose of ID by any chance? Who are slow to mature (think upto 8). Seriously, turn her away and reap the rewards next year.

travellingpony

Visit site
The shoes baffle me too in hindsight. The Farrier is coming next week we will get them off.

I am terrible I can't leave it I am forever wondering and I need to stop. Thank you all I will stop fiddling and let's hope next summer it's worked itself out.

My other horse is just coming back into work from laminitis so I will focus my riding attention on him for now and let her be good advice

travellingpony

Visit site
She's Irish she really is like a tank the chest is enormous and back is like a tank she had to have a bespoke saddle.

She's going to be fabulous everyone who sees her loves her it's just frustrating.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My ID filly had sticky stifles and improved greatly by having the weight stripped off her. Not an easy task to say the least. Her half brother was kept very lean as a young horse too, he grew like a weed and the vet gave me strict instructions about keeping him lean.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
She may just need time to mature and muscle up so try turning away.
Also if possible do you have anything you could ride and lead her from after being turned away, this way you could build her up slowly and give the chance to condition and muscle up with out the addition of a rider? You would be able to build up and do more than just long lining her.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horses like this used to be turned away in the hills were the grass was poor .
It's hard to replicate this now a days but I think the horse does need a year turned away but it must be got and kept really slim .
A good retirement livery might be the answer .

travellingpony

Visit site
I've taken her to a friends so she can be just out which should help it's eased the inflammation moving around all the time.

It's so sad she loves work was so happy just to be walked out in hand like a dog.

My gelding is scared of her but we could work up to ride and lead it may ease in time. Swimming was suggested too but at huge expense. The vet seems to think a couple of weeks long lining but that hasn't don't anything. She's not ever been fat but has a huge frame. I could muzzle her?

Luci07

Visit site
I've taken her to a friends so she can be just out which should help it's eased the inflammation moving around all the time.

It's so sad she loves work was so happy just to be walked out in hand like a dog.

My gelding is scared of her but we could work up to ride and lead it may ease in time. Swimming was suggested too but at huge expense. The vet seems to think a couple of weeks long lining but that hasn't don't anything. She's not ever been fat but has a huge frame. I could muzzle her?
It's not sad. You are letting her grow and your patience will be rewarded long term. My friends maxi cob (proper gypsy cob X warmblood) has still not finished growing and she is now 8. They took it very slowly when backing her and this is a bright sparky mare who enjoys her work.

travellingpony

Visit site
Thank you I think you are all right I must find a way to step back and just see how it goes rather than worrying. Wow if she grows till she's 8 she will be enormous

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
Read the Vet thread. I've had the same issue... told last year 'weak core' , stifles.... and had vet treatment (basically a load of crap) and now PSD (sprained)... and just finishing treatment.. you know what.... after all this heartache, in hind sight, I wished I listened to a local breeder and just turned him away for 6months, as he was and still is growing.... 8 next year !

Good luck.... don't make any rash decisions.... I jumped on the band wagon of treatment via vets... whereas, sometimes these animal just need a little more time to grow.

Good luck and please read the vet thread - as I really found this so helpful x x x x x

travellingpony

Visit site
Read the Vet thread. I've had the same issue... told last year 'weak core' , stifles.... and had vet treatment (basically a load of crap) and now PSD (sprained)... and just finishing treatment.. you know what.... after all this heartache, in hind sight, I wished I listened to a local breeder and just turned him away for 6months, as he was and still is growing.... 8 next year !

Good luck.... don't make any rash decisions.... I jumped on the band wagon of treatment via vets... whereas, sometimes these animal just need a little more time to grow.

Good luck and please read the vet thread - as I really found this so helpful x x x x x

I'm over £2k into this out of my own pocket and feeling that way too insurance have only paid for the kick which was £300 the rest wasn't on me I feel your pain.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My maxi cob 'wasn't quite right' aged 3, not actually lame but left hind didn't seem to take all the weight it should. I seriously considered asking the equine vet who does chiro/acupuncture to take a look, as I was concerned about backing her but eventually decided to just leave her to grow. She was fine within 12 months. Now aged 6, she is still growing/filling out. She seems to need a bigger size every time I buy her a new rug!

tristar

Visit site
i`d make sure she has a very good vit and mineral supplement, those huge bones are trying to finish and yes keep her slim, she is past the very rapid growth stage so making sure she has what she needs will take away any weakness in her and aid her to finish, and could encourage her to move around better, aid her coordination and so she does`nt feel like she has outgrown her strength.

Queenbee

Visit site
She's growing. I would take the vets advice, turn her away and give her a year out to strengthen up. Seen it work many times with young horses who seem to have odd lamenesses. You don't say what breeding she is but any big horse needs time to grow.

I agree, turn her away, let her grow on. You may well be pleasantly surprised when you re-evaluate in 12 months time.

By turn away, I don't mean ignore her handle her but don't ask her to do any 'work' at all. I would take the shoes back off, I don't understand the vet's reasoning for them at all.

ETA A maxi cob is unlikely to be fully grown until 8/9, so she has a long way to go yet.

I would be inclined to agree, turn away for a year and reassess - I am not actually sure that even with the vet suggesting that insurance would pay that I would go down that route until I had turned away and let all the growing and maturing run its course first

Emily99

Visit site
You have a year from when the problem was first noted on the record in order to get any tests or treatment claimed through the insurance.

If you're covered I would bone scan her now. You may still end up turnning her away but you won't have the option of insurance cover if you turn her away first if she needs any treatment.