Weaning advice please

Marigold4

Visit site
This is my weaning plan. I keep the horses at home so completely separating the mare and foal will be difficult. Plan is to send the mare away to a friend 2 miles away for 2-3 months. Foal will have another foal for company and her half brother. I'm trying to work out what to do for the first few days when the mare is away. I have to drive her away and will leave the foal in with outside doors shut (it's a small American barn arrangement) so she can see the others who will also stay in. She is already spending a couple of hours away from her mum every day and this will be built up over time. So on the day of weaning should I put the other foal in with her to keep her company - it's a huge stable? They go in together a little most days. Should I keep all the horses in for a couple of days? How long till she is likely to accept the mare is gone? What is she likely to do while I drive the mother away? Obviously can't be in two places at one time but could get some help for a few hours.

TheMule

Visit site
The more you keep their routine the same, the better.
Mine live out so they come to eat on the hard standing as they are used to doing, I take the mare away whilst baby is eating, then I turn them all back out (usually onto some nice fresh grass which is an excellent distraction) Generally nobody notices. The mare might get a bit stressed once she realizes she's in without the baby, so be ready to quickly doors shut and drive. Someone must stay with the others.

Asha

Visit site
In addition to TM , if you have a top door, close it for the initial separation. If no door then I’d advise a grill . I’ve had grills made for mine , much better as you can watch them and they can still see out .
Your foal may not bother , but I always see on the side of caution

Marigold4

Visit site
In addition to TM , if you have a top door, close it for the initial separation. If no door then I’d advise a grill . I’ve had grills made for mine , much better as you can watch them and they can still see out .
Thanks, Asha, that's a good tip. I'm going to see if I can find some secondhand mesh grills for over the internal doors. I've got weave bars but those would be more dangerous than nothing!

Marigold4

Visit site
The more you keep their routine the same, the better.
Mine live out so they come to eat on the hard standing as they are used to doing, I take the mare away whilst baby is eating, then I turn them all back out (usually onto some nice fresh grass which is an excellent distraction) Generally nobody notices. The mare might get a bit stressed once she realizes she's in without the baby, so be ready to quickly doors shut and drive. Someone must stay with the others.
Thanks, theMule. I'm dreading separating them, but feel I have to do it properly rather than keeping them all at home and having a separation issue later along the line.