Weanling behaviour

wickedwilfred

Visit site
We have a homebred 7 month old TB filly, who has been perfectly sweet and trouble free until now. She was weaned a month ago and although she was getting a bit big for her boots just before weaning, having the confidence of her mother to fall back on, she quickly fell back into her easy to handle attitude after weaning.. However, quite suddenly, she has started behaving agressively - ears back and trying to bite. Nothing has changed in her daily routine and she has another filly foal for company. I am curious about this sudden change. Is she challenging me and if so, how should I react ? At the moment I just wait patiently for her to get over it, but not sure if I should be being assertive.

TheMule

Visit site
Ulcers may be worth considering- a staggering number of weanlings have them due to the stress of the weanling process. I personally wouldn't have a 7month old scoped, I would just put on a course of gastroguard

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ulcers may be worth considering- a staggering number of weanlings have them due to the stress of the weanling process. I personally wouldn't have a 7month old scoped, I would just put on a course of gastroguard

It's more likely to be the stropey little madam pushing her boundaries.

OP, consistent handling, with clear intention and no acceptance of silliness.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
thank you for replies. I don’t think it will be ulcers as she was weaned very carefully, staying in the same field/stable and ‘auntied’ by an older mare. She is definitely an alpha female, but normally good in the stable - goes and stands by her manger when I take in feed and didn’t want a punch up this morning when it came to putting on headcollar. I think you are right Amymay !

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What are you feeding her?
I wouldn't give her anything except hay, unless she looks poor and then I would consider feeding soaked grassnuts (with added chaff to avoid choke). Additional feed could have contributed to ulcers but if you have the 'auntie' still available I would certainly put her in with the fillies.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Yes, already worked that one out and ‘auntie’ going back in with them tomorrow. As both fillies recovering from weaning, feed is good but sensible, with ad lib grazing during the day and hay at night in the stable.