Weanling management

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I was just wondering how you all look after your weanlings, are they kept in/out, stable/ fold yard, rugged, feed etc etc
How would you go about preping them for a specific yearling sale? At what point would you start additional feeding, training grooming etc

Thanks in advance
cool.gif

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
mines in, with a rug and fed on top spec comprehensive balancer, alfa a and sugarbeet with good qual haylege and looks amazing. well I think so.

As for sale prep? dont think you can start too early, get used to being led at walk and trot etc, being brushed/bathed (perhaps not in this weather tho eh?) plaited etc.

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
She's not with other babies, she's in her own stable. Not had her out during the day, mainly due to the weather and the time of day I'm up there (usually pitch!) I did keep two colt weanlings together in a large stable and they were perfectly fine and happy, seperated them after the following summer.

catza

Visit site
my colt is in a large barn with four others, will be out in field 24/7 from end of march, we had dodson and horrell come out and do a feed programme for them, also have unlimited good quality haylage. Looks really well and very settled.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

My filly is not quite weaned yet and is out 24/7 with her mum. We are moving yards in a couple of weeks and I will put her with another colt - they will be weaned together but out during the day and in at night.

peapod

Visit site
My filly is out in the field 24/7 in a herd of 9 ponies. She's been to a show so she's learned to lead/trot out/have boots on/load/have her feet picked up/have the farrier etc.