'Weapon dogs' are seized by police

genie

Visit site
Not really sure why the legislation wasn't enforced more at the time with pit bulls and other banned breeds, really don't know how anybody would go about only having suitable homes for these dogs. Other breeds were dogo argentino and japanese tosas.wouldn't even know what these looked liked either.and wouldn't be too sure that these were included in the legislation.not that it matters cos it isn't enforced anyway.
Maybe making it law that the owners have a higher IQ than the dogs would be a start?
I did hear years ago that pit bulls were being bred to harlequin great danes...now that would take some stopping.
I do like the bull breeds would would never have one......just keeping 4 JRTs is enough for me.lol.

competitiondiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has to be a good thing,even if some of these dogs are PTS they wont be hurting anyone because of their owners stupidity.

Has to be a good thing?! That is as disgusting as most of the posts on this thread.

Have these dogs done anything wrong?

I find the comments on this thread extemely offensive. These dogs, not accused of any crime will all be destroyed if deemed to look a certain way. Not because they are aggressive and not because they are a danger to anybody FFS.
They will be destroyed because of a sick and useless law brought about after two attacks by dogs. The attacks on Frank Tempest and Rhukshana Khann.

In those cases the dogs were NEVER IDENTIFIED, never caught and the owners never prosecuted.

All comments on this thread come from the same ignorant, sensationalist attitudes as those who brought about this cruel law. The RED TOP press and you should all be ashamed of yourselves!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold your horses there, to think that every dog could find a suitabe home/kennel space with a 'ceaser' (dog whisperer) to rehabilitate it, is pie in the sky mentality....

I know of several fighting dogs that have attacked kennel staff within a week of arriving and you think that people are lining up to take this challenge on???? All people are saying is that if the only choice is either being kept as a fighting dog and kept by these people or dying peacefully that they feel the more humane choice is euthanasia. Of course in a perfect world each dog would find a lovely home and be correctly rehabed but rescue centres are already working at capacity (actually over capacity) so there isn't the room and time to work with these dogs.

I agree the law is an A** and needs reworking, I'm all for microchipping and licensing, I think it's the only way forward.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am only posting in defence of innocent dogs so dont take too much notice of me
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
tongue.gif

OH had an good sugestion today
blush.gif
Am still in shock.
Was talking to him about the proposed horse tax and he said
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt it be a good thing if they put the money into running horse care courses and making sure everyone passed like,NVQ2 or something before owning one?
At least then a cruelty case would be cut and dry,no-one could use "I diddnt know" as an excuse

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite like the idea,and think if it was workable(which in the real would it never would be) it should apply to all animals.

I would LOVE to see a day when no dog was without a home that treated it right,but as long as we humans breed shite that treats animals in the worst way some dogs will always be in a situation where PTS may be the best option for them
frown.gif

Whizz105

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

19 years later, the DDA isnt working and dog attacks by other breeds have doubled. Rottweilers still kill and pit bulls numbers bigger than ever.

But no one cares sadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get your facts right about Rottweilers. last time dog killed - it was a JR and staff not a Rottie. So get over the media hype on Rottweilers. Thankfully Rottie owners are far likely to have obedient/respectfull loving dogs than smaller breeds. people think that a small dog is "cute" when it barks or lunges at people or dogs. I do not.

On attacks reported Rotties weren't even on top ten, Chiuaua and JR's were at the top.

I don't think that certain breeds should be blamed or banned, but the people that are responsible for them. I wish there could be a licence given with all dog owners after attending a year of obedience training.

kerilli

Visit site
i agree, Whizz. good suggestion up there about compulsory training to get a licence to keep a horse or dog.
fwiw, i have 4 jrts who are as good-tempered as any dog you could ever meet. it is the way they are brought up, not the breed, that is at fault. as with 99% of dogs.
i did not say anything in my previous post about "pit bull type" fwiw. i said that "ban dogs" are certain crosses (such as mastiff x pit bull, i was told.)
of course, it is ridiculous if a dog which happens to look like a pit bull, is sentenced to death purely on looks.
i thought the big problem was that the 'look' also encompasses the locking/crushing jaw, which most dogs do not have. so, most other dogs might, in extremis, flip and attack... BUT they would not be capable of inflicting such serious injuries as a pit-bull type can.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
my boyfriends brother has a bitch who is a staffie x lab..... she looks almost identical to an american pit bull!!!
Iv made it very clear to him that if she did anything wrong when out in public (not necessarily bite someone, she never would as she is soppy!) she would have a 99% chance of being pulled by the police as a pitbull purely on looks which would lead to PTS.........
would help if he trained her properly as well, but thats a totally different issue.

I agree I think the DDA was a good idea when it was brought out, but it has not worked and obviously a new approach needs to be thought up to control idiotic people breeding dogs for the uses of intimidation, fighting etc rather than banning certain dog breeds!!

Rather than stereotyping breeds maybe the type of owner should be focussed on!?

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

19 years later, the DDA isnt working and dog attacks by other breeds have doubled. Rottweilers still kill and pit bulls numbers bigger than ever.

But no one cares sadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get your facts right about Rottweilers. last time dog killed - it was a JR and staff not a Rottie. So get over the media hype on Rottweilers. Thankfully Rottie owners are far likely to have obedient/respectfull loving dogs than smaller breeds. people think that a small dog is "cute" when it barks or lunges at people or dogs. I do not.

Sorry but my FACTS are right. Did I say the last death was caused by a Rottweiler??
blush.gif
) NO.

As for the facts. The reason there was so much hype about dog attacks at the begining of the 90's was because Kelly Lynch was killed by Rottweilers. Since then I have lost count of how many lives have been lost to Rottweilers, be it babies, children or adults maybe you could enlighten us?
Of course when the DDA was brought in,it was for breeds which hadnt killed and was hysteria fuelled by the media following two cases were the dogs were never even identified.
The flaw in YOUR arguement is that I am stating facts that you cannot argue with that have absolutely nothing to do with media hype.
Just because Rottweilers are recognised by the kennel club and pit bulls not, hasnt really stop Rottweilers eating people. Has it!

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
of course, it is ridiculous if a dog which happens to look like a pit bull, is sentenced to death purely on looks.
i thought the big problem was that the 'look' also encompasses the locking/crushing jaw, which most dogs do not have. so, most other dogs might, in extremis, flip and attack... BUT they would not be capable of inflicting such serious injuries as a pit-bull type can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clear something up. As mentioned on this thread, cross a lab and a staff and the pups will look like pit bulls. But, how on earth would that cross now suddenly have the traits of a breed it suddenly looks like? Impossible and frankly nonsense, no offence whatsoever meant.

Secondly. No dog on this earth can lock its jaws. Pit bulls cannot and there jaws are exactly the same as any other breed. Its a myth that should have been layed to rest by the press. Not encouraged. They just really like hanging on to things and refuse sometimes to let go.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my boyfriends brother has a bitch who is a staffie x lab..... she looks almost identical to an american pit bull!!!
Iv made it very clear to him that if she did anything wrong when out in public (not necessarily bite someone, she never would as she is soppy!) she would have a 99% chance of being pulled by the police as a pitbull purely on looks which would lead to PTS.........
would help if he trained her properly as well, but thats a totally different issue.

I agree I think the DDA was a good idea when it was brought out, but it has not worked and obviously a new approach needs to be thought up to control idiotic people breeding dogs for the uses of intimidation, fighting etc rather than banning certain dog breeds!!

Rather than stereotyping breeds maybe the type of owner should be focussed on!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully if ever brought to court he could meet the requirements of act muzzling, castration, tattoo, insurance etc and the judge could open the register for his dog if needs be.

Agree 100% with the rest of your post. Anyone who wants one can go online, tap in red nose staff pup and buy a pit bull. So the law is a joke. Legalise all dogs and make owners absolutely responsible for their pet and its behaviour/actions.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am only posting in defence of innocent dogs so dont take too much notice of me
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
tongue.gif

OH had an good sugestion today
blush.gif
Am still in shock.
Was talking to him about the proposed horse tax and he said
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt it be a good thing if they put the money into running horse care courses and making sure everyone passed like,NVQ2 or something before owning one?
At least then a cruelty case would be cut and dry,no-one could use "I diddnt know" as an excuse

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite like the idea,and think if it was workable(which in the real would it never would be) it should apply to all animals.

I would LOVE to see a day when no dog was without a home that treated it right,but as long as we humans breed shite that treats animals in the worst way some dogs will always be in a situation where PTS may be the best option for them
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post and agree with yourself and OH
smile.gif

Scribbles

Visit site
Exactly my thoughts
smile.gif

People say about how you should have to pass a test before keeping a dog, or be on a register, the same people who complain about the 'powers that be' interfering with people keeping horses.

Tit for tat.

Whizz105

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry but my FACTS are right. Did I say the last death was caused by a Rottweiler??
blush.gif
) NO.

You said Rottweilers still kill... yet you do not mention that it was not a Rottweiler that killed last? because you did not have facts!

[ QUOTE ]
As for the facts. The reason there was so much hype about dog attacks at the begining of the 90's was because Kelly Lynch was killed by Rottweilers. Since then I have lost count of how many lives have been lost to Rottweilers, be it babies, children or adults maybe you could enlighten us?
Of course when the DDA was brought in,it was for breeds which hadnt killed and was hysteria fuelled by the media following two cases were the dogs were never even identified.
The flaw in YOUR arguement is that I am stating facts that you cannot argue with that have absolutely nothing to do with media hype.
Just because Rottweilers are recognised by the kennel club and pit bulls not, hasnt really stop Rottweilers eating people. Has it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Again where are your facts with Rottweilers compared to other breeds????!!!! like I said (and this is a fact - baby killed by JR and Staff this year. (last time I checked these are not Rottweilers either!)

An article in the Telegraph, July 2008, demonstrates that the large and powerful breeds with the bad reputations, are NOT at the top of the list of offenders when it comes to breeds and dog bite statistics. It is merely that these larger dogs do more damage when they do attack, and so their cases are the only ones ever reported to the authorities and in the media. The research covered thousands of dogs and dog bite incidents, and concluded that the Daschund is at the top of 'aggressive breeds', closely followed by the tiny Chihuahua, and the 'trusty' Jack Russell in third place.

The Rottweiler, Pit Bull and Rhodesian Ridgeback scored average or below average marks for hostility towards strangers. Read the full article here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi...ssive-dogs.html

Wasn't it Boxers that had a reputation in the 80's? (and to us your words) but that hasn't stop Boxers eating people now has it?

May 2008:

A 9-month-old boy had to have surgery after he was mauled by the family’s dog while playing in their living room. And, hey, what do you know, it wasn’t a pit bull, but a boxer.

Authorities said the attack took place at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday when an adult male boxer named Tyson lunged at the child in the home on the 3600 block of Monmouth Place. The infant sustained injuries to his face and neck, and was taken to Oakland Children’s Hospital where he underwent surgery.

Fremont police detective Bill Veteran said at the time of the attack the boy was with his sister and an aunt.

“The child was in the living room with two female adults –.one is an adult sister. The other…an aunt,” Veteran said. “For no apparent reason the dog lunged out and grabbed the child by the face and the neck.”

All dogs REGARDLESS of breed can attack or kill so let go of the Rottweiler!!

Whizz105

Visit site
Also if rottweilers as a breed are known killers (in your view anyway) why are they accepted as pets as therapy dogs & pass with flying colours??

And this is also a FACT: PAT dog of the year 2006 was awarded to a Rottweiler...

competitiondiva

Visit site
Now lets not get 'Breed'ist''!!! All dogs have the ability to turn/be trained/attack etc etc, some dogs will by the very nature of how they are built cause more damage than others, The fact that the bull breeds etc have large jaw muscles gives them the ability to hold on and bite harder than a poodle say.... But they can also make in the right hands better pets than a lab in the wrong hands! I've dealt with potentially dangerous dogs and attacks from Japaneese Akitas, GSD's, Sharpei's, Staffies, Bull mastiffs, pitbull crosses and several toy breeds!! (all from own personal experience) So breed has nothing to do with this, it is ALL down to how a dog is trained (or not trained!!) so lets lay to rest the breeds and try to push for at the very least mandatory microchipping to be able to identify each dog and its' ownership and preferably some sort of capability certificate to link to the chip/ownership details.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Again where are your facts with Rottweilers compared to other breeds????!!!! like I said (and this is a fact - baby killed by JR and Staff this year. (last time I checked these are not Rottweilers either!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rottweiler deaths in our country starting one year before pit bulls were banned ( unlike Rottweilers???)

1989 Kelly Lynch 11yrs old.
1996 David Kearney 11yrs old.
2006 Cadey-Lee deacon 5 mths old.
2007 Archie-Lee Hurst 13mths old.
2008 James Rehill 78yrs old.

No pit bulls in our country had killed before the DDA was introduced. Since the ban

Ellie Lawrenson in 2007 aged 5yrs.

I am not picking on Rottweilers. I am asking why if pit bulls are banned, Rottweilers are not and with the above maths surely it isnt very difficult to understand why I ask this question!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Scratchline

Visit site
I agreee that we shouldnt be breedist but at present the law is. IMHO section 1 of the DDA should be ripped up, pit bulls legalised and all owners of all breeds forced by law to be responsible owners.

Certain breeds muzzled in public at all times. All dogs registered, compulsary micro chipping and liability insurance.

Dog attacks have doubled since the introduction of the DDA and deaths by dogs not covered by section one of the act continue whilst the government refuse to add the most prevalent killer to the list of banned breeds?!

Our children and ourselves deserve to be protected from this ever worsening situation.

competitiondiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Certain breeds muzzled in public at all times. All dogs registered, compulsary micro chipping and liability insurance.

Dog attacks have doubled since the introduction of the DDA and deaths by dogs not covered by section one of the act continue whilst the government refuse to add the most prevalent killer to the list of banned breeds?!

Our children and ourselves deserve to be protected from this ever worsening situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You state some breeds to be muzzled but again how do you prove that dog is that breed etc etc, there are so many crossbreeds with pitbull/rottweiller/staffie etc etc influence that you couldn't stipulate that only the pure breeds wore muzzles. I would, to combat this go as far as to say all dogs in public to be muzzled whatever breed etc, this avoids the confusion, and yes I am a dog owner, I have children, I trust my dog as much as anyone can but would be happy for her to wear a muzzle in public if it stopped the chance of a child being bitten by another not so well behaved dog.

The other problem is that alot of children/people attacked by dogs are attacked in their own homes, therefore muzzling wouldn't solve this problem, Hence the only option to stop these attacks is to have dog licences linked to a certificate of competancy and microchip.

I'm not stupid though and realise that this would be very BIG BROTHER and there would be a hell of a lot of opposition to both these ideas!!! Added to that how on earth would it be policed??????

Scratchline

Visit site
There would of course be difficulty with my partial muzzling plan and yes, attacks within the home is another problem we face.

Muzzles for all dogs in public is the perfect answer to protection on the streets. It would of course brings complaints from some dog owners but if pit bull owners abided by the muzzling law why cant everyone else for the safety of our children?

Whizz105

Visit site
You forgot to mention 7 yr old dean Parker in 1993 was killed by pit bull. and I won't bother to mention how many attacks there have been on people, or other animals killed by pitbulls.

Also as there have been other breeds like Jack Russells and Staffs that have killed are they to be banned to?????

IT IS NOT THE BREED! stupid plonkers that have dogs and do not exercise or take to obedience classes are all asking for attacks and kills.

So your not being breedist yet you want certain breeds muzzled???????!!!!!!!

I will see without fail aggressive dogs off lead without muzzles and they are collies, GSD's, terriers and JRT's

I'm going to say this one more time maybe you will get the point

IT IS NOT THE BREED BUT THE OWNERS

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to mention 7 yr old dean Parker in 1993 was killed by pit bull. and I won't bother to mention how many attacks there have been on people, or other animals killed by pitbulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didnt forget. The dog was not a pit bull it was a cross breed with Bullmastiff characteristics according to the inquest.

Oh, and I didnt say that I wasnt breedist, I agreed that we shouldnt be.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to say this one more time maybe you will get the point

IT IS NOT THE BREED BUT THE OWNERS [ QUOTE ]

So you agree with me that pit bulls should be legalised then?
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also as there have been other breeds like Jack Russells and Staffs that have killed are they to be banned to?????[ QUOTE ]

No. I do not believe ANY breed should be banned. The law/DDA should be ammended to allow all breeds to be responsibly owned. After 19yrs banning the four breeds hasnt worked so its time for a sensible law IMHO.

Scribbles

Visit site
Pit bulls are more likely to be weapon dogs as arabs are to be endurance horses, thoroughbreds to be racers or eventers, warmbloods to be dressage or showjumping.

That is what they are bred for, yes there are exceptions, but these breeds are easier to train to display the trait for which they have been genetically selectively bred for.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is what they are bred for, yes there are exceptions, but these breeds are easier to train to display the trait for which they have been genetically selectively bred for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but you are 100% wrong.

Pit bulls have been bred for gameness through combative battle against eachother. Therefore they are often dog aggressive yet very, very rarely human aggressive. Guard and attack breeds have been bred to attack humans and are easy to train as weapons, not pit bulls.
This is very clearly demonstrated by the abuse pit bulls often have to suffer at the hands of man to force them to be aggressive to other humans.