Weatherbeeta Tristar rug

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Hi
I bought one of these rugs last year and was very pleased with it apart from the fact my mare seemed to sweat lots in it but I assumed it was just that she is a TB x Welsh and a "Warm horse" even though she was fully clipped so only used it when the weather was really frosty/snowy.

Not used it until recently this year and in the meantime I have bought another one for a new horse and the same is happening with hers. They are both getting sodden wet in sweat under them even though they are both clipped - did have a 100g fill liner with it but getting warm so left them only in the outer (100g fill) and both wet through again last night?

When I put them in a 300g fill other Weatherbeeta (Oricans) they are not sweaty at all.

Have tried to "Blow through" the lining of the Tristar which is impossible and it is like a plastic but you can manage it on the other Weatherbeetas or PE ones I have so to me that must mean that they are not breathable?

So the question is - does anybody else have this sweaty horse problem in this rug?

I may contact Weatherbeeta but just wondered if I was the only one with this?

Do hope this makes sense!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Nope, not noticed in with mine. Occassionally if its been raining super hard its started to get a tiny bit damp at the shoulder (by the pleat bit), but then again it is about 2 years old now and been used a lot. No sweating as such that I've noticed with or without the liner.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
They are very warm rugs even without any of the liners, J sweated up in his the other day but that the first time and tbh we should have taken the 100g liner out. I have all three of the liners but even in the worst of the weather last year, snow and serious minus temps I never used the 300g liner. My other boy is already in his Orican HW and in the same weather last year he had a MW stable rug under that and was still cold at times.

Smith123

Visit site
It sounds like a breathability problem - mine is clipped and in a 360g fill and feels a little cool some evenings when i bring him in, have you spoken to weatherbeeta?

Visit site
HI,

I have found that my horse 'sweats' with this rug too and not with other rugs, but I just thought it wasnt waterproof enough or something and was going to try a reproofer. But I couldnt understand why it would need reproofing as he's only had it on a few months this year and I only bought it last December. I think there must be a problem with the 'breathability' on it but not sure what to do about it!

Be interesting to see if there are any more posts on this!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Very interesting.

I have one each for my boys, and last year they were fine. Only one of them is wearing his at the moment as the other's on box rest. The one that's wearing his is in it 24/7 - I don't change to stable rugs at night.

Earlier this week I took the liner out as he was sweating in it - he's not yet been clipped - and last night he did seem to be sweaty in just the outer, but only around the shoulder area. He seemed fairly warm this morning (despite an overnight frost) so I am thinking it's just that it's a very warm rug.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Hmm, its difficult isn't it. The new horse isn't a warm type of horse like the other one and is mostly wet around the shoulder area and that is that wet that you can shake the wet off it when you take it off and the rug "Sticks" to the horse when it is on?

If it was a 300g rug on an unclipped horse then fair enough but not on fully clipped horses both sweating in 100g fill rug but just right when I change them into a 300g non Tristars

Just seems weird that if the material inside was breathable then surely you should be able to blow through it under pressure and I cannot with mine but can with all the other type/makes of rug?

I am interested to know how many others have a problem still please and then I will contact Weatherbeeta and see if they have had any problems.

Spyda

Visit site
Must admit, I don't use the liners on my unclipped youngster but was really pleased with the Tristar last year. My filly did sweat up badly under it a few times (white foam sweat) but that was on the occasion the YO left her out on her own and she galloped the fence line for an hour waiting to be finally brought in. :mad:

I don't think the waterproofing on the Tristar's is all that persistent, though. I've just spend the afternoon painting NixWax reproofer onto the neck covers I'd washed on their own in my washing machine on a 20 degree cycle (no detergent used). I used to do this with my Rambo and Rhino neck covers without harming their repellency, but the Tristars were totally de-proofed from this one light washing. It's no big deal as I have the rugs washed and reproofed annually but it's worth noting that the waterproofness (sp?!) isn't very strong and the weave of the material is quite 'open'.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies - I am debating taking the lining out of one of them now to see if that makes any difference as I do like the fit of the rug I must say.

Anybody else had problems?

Izzwizz

Visit site
It sounds definitely like a breathability problem and I would contact Weatherbeeta. They may offer to replace it if its looks like its faulty.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Am I right in saying this is the WB that's coated in Teflon? If I so I deliberately chose not to buy it when looking last Winter as had doubts about the breathability of them. Chose the Orican instead and use that when it's cold or just an unlined rain sheet with the tristar liners. Which doesn't help you but may be the reason!

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Yes, it is the Teflon coated one.
I poured water onto it from the inside out last night and it holds it all like a plastic bag!

Will contact Weatherbeeta - such a shame as the rug is a lovely fit on both of mine.

Cynorian

Visit site
My pony which is fully clipped sweats bucket and like you i like the fit. I bought three in total but all at different times but the other two dont sweat and are not clipped. Now they are discontinued - why I wonder. Maybe this one and yours are a bad batch?

Have u a contact number for them

elijahasgal

Visit site
I have one of these rugs, and it on a "hot" horse. She is wearing it well and with pride. Would be a shame if weatherbeeta stopped the rugs all together, as they are brilliant and fit really really well