Weaving

Befney3

Visit site
Would you be put off a horse because it has possibly been seen to weave? How can I tell if it's a weaver? What ill effects can weaving have on a horse? Other than a anti-weaving grill on the door are there any other ways to stop weaving?

Thanks.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It's a stress thing, and no, other horses don't copy it.
Some manage to weave tied up to the box with excitement before a competition like our stallion, and when he really gets going he can literally dance like a snake.
His weaving happened after he had to be incarcerated for 18 months with a broken pelvis, to ease any strain on his legs we have a thick rubber mat behind his door.
Ask to see it at feed time without a grill on it's door, if it weaves that's the most likely time it will do it..

Befney3

Visit site
Thanks henryhorn, will do that. Does it effect your stallions shoulders? Someone mentioned that it could but I've not heard that before. Do they always weave over a door or can they do it stood in the middle of the stable, etc?
Am asking about this because I'm horse hunting (which is quite stressful-I'll be the one weaving soon!!) & have seen one I really like but the woman mentioned that it is rumoured to have been seen weaving at a previous yard. She says shes not seen it & he certainly looked v.chilled out for the two hours I was there today but I'm a little paronoid about it now.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would say Chocx only does it under stress such as trying mares or hearing the horsebox start up, but he really dances sometimes. I don't think it affects his shoulders but if a horse did it all the time would worry about the strain on his front legs, when they do it they hop from one to the other is the best description.
He can do it behind his door but he really has to be worked up to do that.
It affects the horse's value so ensure the price is reduced because of it.
Some breeding societies refuse to grade stallions who doit but as none of his stock have ever shown any inclination and he had a good reason to start it doesn't worry us.
You may however have trouble getting a yard to accept the horse, bear that in mind.

Befney3

Visit site
Thanks again.
smile.gif

Will have a good think about it & try to see the horse a few times & at tea time before making a decision.

Lill

Visit site
We have a mare that weaves and she went out on loan for 12-18 monthss ( can't remember how long exactly) but she was stabled certainly every night and some of the day too, she came back lame in her front legs.

She's been out 24/7 (does not weave when out) and had a foal, rested for 18months now - we are going to try to bring her back into work when foalie is weaned but my suspicions are she will still be lame.