Wee stained tails

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
How on earth can I get rid of the yellowness ?? I have tried champion tails (for greys) shampoo, WAHL shampoo for greys and IV horse shampoo for greys ??

Most of it is white, but it seems to have rather unattractive 'nicotine' streaks. I think it's because she's such a hussy
blush.gif
and is always getting yukky stuff on her tail as well as wee.

I heard of using washing powder but isn't that rather harsh ???

HB

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I always used Fairy non-bio on Ella's white bits and it really does work. Just make sure it's well diluted and washed out really well. If you are at all worried you could do a small skin test but if you are just washing her tail then you could just keep it away from the body?

CastleMouse

Visit site
Dilute some Daz in a bucket of lukewarm water, and that should work, just make sure to rinse it out well! I use baby shampoo on my lads tail, and that works quite well.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Someone on the ShowRing uses a mix of vinegar and something else on mare's tails. Can't remember what though - sorry! The usual blue shampoos don't work so well on mares, particularly when they are in season. You may need to keep the tail in one of those new tail bags if you ever manage to get rid of the yellow otherwise it will come right back.

Claireg9

Visit site
i have also been known (Especially in the winter) to get my stack of plastic draws on wheels, put them behind Blue, with warm water and well whatever you want to mix with it (Washing powder or shampoo!!) dangle her tail in it and leave her there with a hay net whilst i muck out. Occassionally going back to scrub it a bit then dangleing it back!
That works pretty well!

But the knott in the tail does make it work better, two knotts if the tail is long enough! Keeps the shampoo on for longer before it drips down, also brush the tail out before washing so some bits of hair dont get stuck together therefore not allowing the shmpoo in!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I have a piebald mare who is a nightmare. Bloom by Hydrophane is brilliant - Tail doesn't always look white when wet, but dries sparkly clean. I then coat tail and hocks with Aeroborne Show Sheen (don't do the top if you plait). This seems to reduce the amount the tail gets stained as muck/dirt slides off!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
First soak tail in grannie's soap flakes in very hot water - but not the dock for 10 minutes. Then scrub like mad for 10 minutes.

Rinse.

Next wash two or three times in Tresume deep cleansing shampoo.

Rinse.

Next mix equine blue in hot water and again soak the tail for 10 mins but not the dock. Then put water on the dock when it is cooler.

Rinse and don't worry if the tail looks very blue.

Next add conditioner - supreme tails silver is good.

You will be exhausted and filthy but the tail should look a lot better.

Finally invest in a tailgator tail bag and keep the top in a loose plait to stop it getting peed on as well.

I bag all winter and use plaits in the summer when they are out to reduce problems but my gypsy cob mare had enough tail for 4 normal horses.

icemaiden113

Visit site
Know the feeling, i have 2 greys and do a lot of showing! Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? Work brilliant if you pour it on to a wet tail then brush it in and leave it for a few minutes. Wash it out thouroughly then shampoo with Quicksilver and condition well!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Where can you buy grannie's soapflakes ??? Tried leaving in WAHL DIAMOND WHITE today and then knotted tail for ages before rinsing, but no luck there ! Won't hydrogen peroxide be too harsh ??? Also, I have noticed the tail is a bit dry now due to all that washing so having to use a conditioner afterwards !!!

Also what is 'equine blue' and where can you buy it ?