Weeing inside.....

samsaccount

Visit site
I own an 8yro border collie and have owned him since he was a pup (and yes just to clarify he was properly toilet trained). He is regulary walked and has unlimited acess to our fields next to our house (private so we can let him straight out of the house into the fields) but recently he has started to wee in the house mainly in one particular place he has recently been to the vets for an unrelated problem and nothing was mentioned about any other problem which he has. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. We do occasionaly have the odd accident (sometimes poo to put it nicely - once ever 4 months or so - sometimes not even that - as he is alone during the day) but he has done this three days in a row now, could it be a problem which may need to be seen to by the vets or am i missing the obvious? He is let out at around 12ish each night and again at around going up to 7 if not earlier, this routein has been the same for years. He is an only dog (always has been) and nothing has changed in his lifestyle to cause any major stress or anything.........any ideas or comments would be great. Thank you.

GinaB

Visit site
Have you ever seen him do it? Does it look as if he can't control it? (although you do mention it's in the same place which makes me doubt he may be incontinent.) Have you put in new carpet recently as well? I know a few dogs that will pee on a new carpet to mark the scent. Or drinking more than normal? Meaning he needs to go more often. (Can possibly be related to diabetes? Although I could be wrong on that)

samsaccount

Visit site
No I have never caught him doing it, he has recently done it on a night or early morning. but no he doesn't seem to be drinking more than normal either, nor have we had a new carpet either. He is a very territoral dog and is constantly marking his scent on a walk but this looked alot more like a wee than just a little squirt, and unfortunatly it is happening in a room with a carpet so i have spent so long trying to clean it (only today so it hasnt been the cause of him marking himself again if that was the original reason). I was wondering that also I am not very educated on it but his behaviour hasn't changed at all apart from this problem, other than that he is eating and drinking the same, nothing else has changed at all so yeah i am a little worried and confused about it, will go and speak to the vet tomorrow if there is no other explaination for it. unfortunaly my mum will not have him live in the house now so he is having to live in one of our unused stables........

jackie36

Visit site
id get him checked re bladder urinary tract infection. also you say you've cleaned the carpet, what did you clean it with, only if it has an amonia in the cleaner to him it will smell like another dog has been in and he may well try to over mark the cleaner

xx

samsaccount

Visit site
Yes i agree he will probably do that, hence why i cleaned it after the 3rd time and not before in case he did it again (although he did hmm).........fairy liquid was the only thing i have to hand to clean it with at the moment. I will certainly go and speak to the vet incase it is anything serious, but as i previously said he is not in the house at all right now he is playing out and then sleeping out side so for now he is unable to remark himself on our carpet.

samsaccount

Visit site
nope when he does it he seems normal about it, like i said he is very territorial and is constantly marking his territory and he hasnt changed in that department or looks uncomfortable whilst doing that either....

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Best of luck. I have a border collie x and she has been doing it for years! She will go through a stage of not doing it for months then we have a spate of it. Its usually always at night, she would sneak downstairs and do it. Now I have a stair gate which prevents her coming downstairs and hey presto - not done it since! It has also stopped her sneaking upstairs and doing it on the beds - disgusting creature. I would'nt mind - but more often than not we are here when she does it so there is no excuse. I had her checked by the vets years ago when she was doing it and they could find no cause.

samsaccount

Visit site
Nope we have had no dogs or anything in the house at all, we did have one in last year and he never acted like this then either.

JACQSZOO....she sounds exactly like my beast. He has done it when we are in the house, he usualy sleeps upstaires and the majority of his business has been done downstaires not too sure if we could keep the stairs door shut though may be an idea to try for when he is allowed in the house but i dont really want to risk him peeing in another part of the house aswell.... Bad thing is we have a bad colour carper and it is staining it. You don't have any tips on produts to use to get rid of the smell do you?

So far i would like to thank everyone who has commented and left advice
smile.gif

claire1976

Visit site
Yes Jackie36 is right - you must use biological washing powder to get rid of the smell and this will take some time. You need to continually soak the area and absorb the moisture with some cloths then start all over again until the smell has gone. Remember dogs are really sensitive to smell and can pick just one drop of urine in an entire carpetted room. If he is not drinking more than usual and is physically fine then I'm inclined to think it may just be a bad habit or laziness, I've had this with my Dobie X now she's a bit older. I would suggest allowing him a last drink of water at around 8-9pm, making sure he has a wee at bedtime (follow him out and check he does one as my Dobie is even too lazy to go at night and just stands at the door) then remove his water bowl until morning. There is no reason he should suffer without water overnight so this may help him have an empty bladder overnight.

samsaccount

Visit site
Thanks guys for all your advice, I will keep it updated as to whether it is a problem he has or not. Will certainly try taking his water away to prevent him doing it out of lazyness.

Thanks