Weekend plans? Last weekend in September

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Oh that’s awful. Hope she is ok. Yes retiring was definitely the right thing to do. Better training for Dolly to
leave her feeling confident. And much safer not to try and continue on a horse who is feeling sticky. But it’s hard to raise your hand and call it a day so I’m proud she was able to make the call. It was a very beefy course! I was surprised so many had recommended it as a first 100. It wasn’t technically difficult but it was big! I guess that suits a lot of bold, scopey horses? But we’ll pick a smaller one next time. X

scats

Visit site
Thanks Roxy, I’m now wondering if Millie did something slipping coming out of the stable on our way to lesson. My mum decided to come and watch and as we were getting ready to go, she went into my spare stable to see the cat and as I brought Millie out of her own stable, she spotted my mum, spooked and slipped so badly she nearly ended up on the floor. I didn’t even think anymore of it as she seemed to recover quickly and just carried on walking fine, but I wonder if she’s tweaked something and then of course I just loaded her and took her to her lesson. It only really crossed my mind when I looked at the floor this evening and saw just how badly she had slipped.
Anyway, vet still being contacted tomorrow, but first port of call might be to scan legs, just incase.

racebuddy

Visit site
Urgh. Something isn’t right with Millie. I think it might be ulcers- swishy tailed in her lesson today and stuffy. Happy to go into canter but didn’t want to canter forwards, tail really swishy and then she did a Millie special, slammed on and went up. She gave me some lovely canter work around the fields last night though, albeit in straight lines. It seems to be the turns that cause issue. Vet chiro saw her 10 days ago and all fine, instructor said she looked sound (she also felt sound) but I have had her on a diet and she’s lost a lot of weight so wondering if she’s got ulcers now as a result of more limited forage (she always has straw to eat but won’t touch it)

Will ring vet tomorrow to book scope and also put them on standby to X-ray hocks and scan suspensories if no ulcers are found.
Hope shes ok xxx

J_sarahd

Visit site
Camp was just incredible. Pony was perfect from the minute I unloaded him. I was nervous he’d get a bit silly and nappy, but absolutely nothing. He’s gained so many fans (with one lady saying they wanted to buy him!). I think people look at him and underestimate him a bit because he’s a tiny 13.2 cob who’s not particularly flashy. But then they see him jumping!

B2BF1811-6625-469E-8955-7B4303FF3728.jpeg34E526F7-E763-4D9E-B7D9-0362EBF225F4.jpeg

Also very lovely to meet @iknowmyvalue - Pepsi is honestly just incredible.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Camp was just incredible. Pony was perfect from the minute I unloaded him. I was nervous he’d get a bit silly and nappy, but absolutely nothing. He’s gained so many fans (with one lady saying they wanted to buy him!). I think people look at him and underestimate him a bit because he’s a tiny 13.2 cob who’s not particularly flashy. But then they see him jumping!

View attachment 80162View attachment 80163

Also very lovely to meet @iknowmyvalue - Pepsi is honestly just incredible.
Lovely to meet you too! I am definitely a big member of the Badger fan club ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Mixed weekend for us. Simon added to the list of minor niggles that mean I think he needs a bit of a vet MOT on Saturday. I've withdrawn him from Weston Park and will get him over to the vets early Oct to hopefully give him some assistance. At least there was a waitlist, so I immediately got a full refund which was good - but obviously a bit worried about general outcomes.

Isaac went out for a SJ hire on Saturday - enthusiastic but inconsistent again. Then yesterday was yard dressage - he did a horrible test in P7 as apparently he now hates the flash (which he has been wearing for months) and was desperate to try and rub it off - leading to slamming the brakes on and rubbing his head on his knee during the test 3 times - mortifying. Justified low score of 62%. Flash came off, then warmed back up for P14 and he was much happier to pull out just over 70%. Video below. Yes there are lots of wobbles and losses of balance - but the good bits are starting to feel much better.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did say once we'd pipped 70% at home we'd go out and do some BD. Fully expecting scores to drop away from home and affiliated, but think it will do him some good this winter to realise that outings are often quite boring and get used to some different venues without the pressure of jumping.

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh that's a shame RF, hopefully the vets can find and sort him. Minor niggles and small not quite rights are so frustrating though.
Glad Isaac sorted himself out though - Charlie has been very nose blowy this week, I think its the weather changing so I can sort of understand how a flash might have been OK but suddenly isn't

j1ffy

Visit site
It's great reading all the updates, it sounds like some good educational experiences and successes! RF - I hope Simon's niggles turn out to be small enough to resolve in the off-season.

We definitely had an educational, rather than successful, dressage at home yesterday! Chilli was slightly nappy in the warm-up but mostly felt good, not bothered by the other horses and forward but controlled.

Got into the arena and his brain went. He kept napping to the far gate and we had piaffe, backwards, bouncing. When he did go forwards only canter was acceptable. The judge was lovely and stepped out of the car just as I had decided to work around the outside and forget trying to do the test. She said to walk him on a long rein until he was relaxed, then put him away and come back in once there was a break. Just what was needed for his (and my!) confidence. When we went back in, she ended up giving us an impromptu 30 minute lesson, very basic walk / trot until he relaxed.

So not what we intended but a good educational session. On the plus side, his canter felt amazing and people watching said he looked spectacular! We have a lesson on Wednesday so hopefully can work on his confidence and relaxation. He's a very inexperienced, sensitive baby and there's no rush so I'm happy to go at his speed.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Oh that's a shame RF, hopefully the vets can find and sort him. Minor niggles and small not quite rights are so frustrating though.
Glad Isaac sorted himself out though - Charlie has been very nose blowy this week, I think its the weather changing so I can sort of understand how a flash might have been OK but suddenly isn't

Yes - all sorts of things blowing around in the air! That said, because he didn't go spectacularly mouth-gapey without, i'm quite happy if we can stay without for the longer term. He only had it on because he was rather taken with the idea of going with his mouth wide-open catching flies!

oldie48

Visit site
I had a great lesson on Mr D now that his owner is back from hols. We worked on putting more power into his trot and canter so I had a couple of "EEK" moments as he does have a lot more power but it was good to feel him really on the aids! Also did some more work on circles, so they are a good shape and he's really into the outside rein, easy on the left rein but but we don't help each other on the right rein, need to work on this when I ride him again on Wednesday. I really enjoy riding him, he's a lot of fun.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Couldn’t resist a couple of pics. Dolly jumped the hay cart from trot as she was backing off it so much! She is such a trier. She is normally an economical jumper, not giving jumps much air but never hitting them either. But she clearly thought these looked big and wasn’t sure how high to jump - so she gives them far more space than she needed to. Hopefully as she gets more experienced over this sort of height she’ll be much more relaxed.
1632775131652.png
1632775112442.png