Weekend Plans

J_sarahd

Visit site
Feeling very disheartened this weekend. Hacked yesterday instead of today and he was perfect. So decided to pop a few little jumps today as we haven’t jumped at home in weeks. He went back to bucking into canter again. He did stop after a while. He started doing that a while ago and I got him scoped and treated and it went away. But this is the first time he’s done it since being treated so feeling very upset and confused. I’m going to ring the vets again tomorrow.

Chippers1

Visit site
Had a good time today :)
Started with some cavaletti going to a cross pole, Buzz enjoyed this little exercise and was happily popping over them then we started doing some lines and he stopped at the first two jumps which I was like "oh no not again" but the instructor told me to sit up properly and ride and he came back around and flew the line. I think that once he realised it was ok he absolutely flew around every line, he was actually being really strong! When he's like that I normally just go with the flyers as it feels better for me as I feel confident he's going to actually jump but she was getting me to hold out for a closer one so it was a bit messy ? but I'm so pleased he jumped everything after the first wobble with much enthusiasm.
He's a known runner out and he took all the lines and dogs legs like an absolute pro. She did say I may need a stronger bit as he was pulling me a bit but I'm not sure I will, I need to just sit up and ride properly.
He even travelled really well with no complaints so I'm just so pleased :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Visit from a good friend on Saturday. Rooni was FRESH as fresh can be. He was great for me and she had a sit and I dare say gave her Velcro bum a good work out! He’s not nasty, never has been never will be, but he’s just got all this energy he doesn’t know what to do with sometimes.

6BADFCB5-C91E-4E86-ADFF-43D69AA47BC9.jpeg
B38C21F5-131D-4F7B-9D71-B12D4E0C4220.jpeg
BB62E0C5-57D5-419D-BCC4-86993D6E6F36.jpeg

Today he had a relaxing hack. I was dead chuffed with how chilled he was hacking right next to a busy road. It’s been a while since he was out properly and he seemed to really enjoy himself!

614FD851-B72D-4A1F-B6D6-48224735B5DA.jpeg

DressageCob

Visit site
Visit from a good friend on Saturday. Rooni was FRESH as fresh can be. He was great for me and she had a sit and I dare say gave her Velcro bum a good work out! He’s not nasty, never has been never will be, but he’s just got all this energy he doesn’t know what to do with sometimes.

View attachment 86264
View attachment 86265
View attachment 86266

Today he had a relaxing hack. I was dead chuffed with how chilled he was hacking right next to a busy road. It’s been a while since he was out properly and he seemed to really enjoy himself!

View attachment 86267

your saddle looks seriously comfortable. Rooni looks gorgeous, as always!

Pippity

Visit site
Well, the bute seems to be working... Blue has got distinctly bouncy since she's been on it.

Hacking yesterday was a lot of going sideways, goggling at burger vans and bin bags and a mattress that someone had flytipped on the verge. Which in most horses would be understandable, but Blue is usually either, "Huh? What spooky thing?" or planting. Sideways goggling, snorting and prancing is not her speed.

Hacking today involved half a kilometre of bogging off with me in canter, down a narrow, extremely muddy track with a hedge on one side and barbed wire on the other. (And her herd on the other side of the fence*, having a mob gallop, which is what set her off.)

I'm going back to hacking in a pelham for a bit. I'd like some brakes, please.

* It goes track, barbed wire, gap, field fence. Horses aren't fenced in with barbed wire - it's just to discourage people from trying to get close to them.

DressageCob

Visit site
I had a great lesson on Saturday. It was my fortnightly fancy lesson and we worked on the canter. We did shoulder in, to travers, back to shoulder in down the three quarter line.

These aren't the best photos because they are off videos but I feel we are progressing. His canter was really rhythmical. It has taken him this long to cope with his own movement. His canter is enormous for his type/build and he can get stuck just lifting his shoulders upwards rather than taking it forward. Now we get flashes of a canter which could collect enough for the next level of movements.

Then today we had a lesson at home with some really lovely canter half passes. He has the day off tomorrow for being awesome ❤️

IMG_0311.PNGIMG_0312.PNGIMG_0313.PNG

scats

Visit site
My only day off and the cats had me awake from 4am, then Lily-Rose started whining at 5.15am so thought I might as well get up.
Took a rather fresh and spooky Millie out for a road hack this morning, then back to walk the dogs, do housework, go to Sainsburys and then back to farm. Now back to another 6 days of work… :rolleyes:
14E0B957-F5E2-4621-A36E-8CE3245BE2B8.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Rode 3 - 2 hacks and 1 schooling, taught 3, walked the dogs, and I've just put my tea in tonight. Been a good but tiring day. Apparently spotty schooling is exhausting ? He came out a bit full of himself but obviously regretted that afterwards

Attachments

• received_1113845212747426.jpeg
    received_1113845212747426.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 19

rara007

Visit site
5BAE0307-4DB5-4446-A7D4-1C44CE70AAD9.jpeg
AD411245-CC07-4242-A5CD-9CBC57BF264A.jpeg09E4E024-5D4A-4BF6-8546-6E90914C85B8.jpg

Pony time :) Great day. Ester on the back again :) Dressage he was a little bit shocked by the judges sat in the arena, double clear cones and he tried really hard on marathon, I just knocked a ball running over a base and we had 1 slower turn. 5th in a tight class- within a ball of 3rd. Better performance all 3 phases than last weekend where he also tried really hard!

Bernster

Visit site
DressageCob, he’s so smart, fab pics.

love the driving posts Rara, for something a bit different.

Quiet one for me. Ended up doing house related chores on Saturday. Hacked Sunday and pottered about at the yard.

Had the sweetest moment with Bertie when he ‘asked’ me for a hug (nudged me into a cuddle) and nodded off with his chin on my shoulder. ☺️ Never had a cuddly horse before, it’s a little bit special. Finn has no need for cuddles or fuss, just treats and a pat, tyvm.

No idea why this pic is sideways ?‍♀️

Attachments

• B69EDD9C-3767-4024-95DB-D7F7B8262448.jpeg
    B69EDD9C-3767-4024-95DB-D7F7B8262448.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 7

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm still recovering from my schoolmaster lesson on Saturday morning! I was on a different horse this time - an older, rather stiff, extremely narrow and very upright GP horse. I got on and the instructor said 'he's not spooky' - which was the kiss of death as new judge's tables had been setup and he thought they were terrifying ?. He wanted to bend left, leaned heavily on the right rein and was lazy, which resulted in me riding like a complete beginner. He also had big paces and apparently many people struggle to go with him so I was pleased when the instructor complimented me on being able to stay with him and ride him to the contact (albeit a very hard-feeling contact and very above-the-bit). I didn't enjoy riding him much and really struggled to get him to soften the lower part of his neck, my heart rate was almost at my maximum for the whole lesson as I was working so hard. Perversely I would quite like to give him another go and see if I can work out how to ride him better! My stomach muscles are still sore though...

I was delighted to ride Chilli on my way home, he's so much softer, lighter and comfier. I took him in the school for his first 'proper' school since coming back into work three weeks ago. We couldn't trot for the first 15 minutes but he did demonstrate a lovely piaffe and passage ?, then insisted on either walk or (a lovely, balanced, collected) canter - so we went with canter for a while until he settled. I'm learning that the best thing to do is to sit quietly with the leg on and insist on a good contact, and let him sort himself out underneath me. By the end of the 30 minutes we had a good, calm and adjustable trot on both reins so left it there.

teddy_

Visit site
I sold my horse ?!

A good friend of mine, who has been after a quality young horse for a while, completely out of the blue asked if she could buy him! I pondered for a day, and given that I was struggling to bond with him after losing my other horse so soon after he arrived, the sale went ahead.

I am now horse-less for the first time since I was 13. I shan't look for the next neddy until April time. However, YO has kindly offered me her gorgeous Hanoverian mare by Ferro on loan, to bring back into work after a few years off having babies so I am sure that'll keep me occupied (& on my toes at times!) ?.

Alibear

Visit site
Did the pole clinic at the yard on Saturday. Yo is very nice and happily shortens everything up for us. We were spiralling in on circles over poles from 20m into round say an 8-metre square. We did it nicely in walk, jog and lope on both reins and one-handed. So I'm very pleased. YO says Amber has grown up and muscled up a lot since our last lesson so all good news. Poor Amber was very tired though, she's not had to work that hard in a while. Which has been a good reminder that I need to get back to that type of work ready for the summer shows. Yesterday we had a nice steady hack round the villages with another livery. Amber stepped up and took the lead a few times and even managed to keep her head when a pony and trap came up the road behind us.

oldie48

Visit site
Some lovely pics on this thread!
I went to see Rose today, tbh I have been putting it off as I still feel a bit upset that she's retired but she's happy, holding her condition well and has adapted to her new life easily. She followed me back to the gate but I think it was the polos in my pocket that interested her! I'm just riding Mr D now as Miss F is staying but is aimed at inter 1, so I think they'd prefer not to have me mess her up. I'm enjoying hacking D and so far we haven't had one of his spectacular spooks, long may it last. Lovely session in the school today, I feel relaxed riding him, know his difficulties and am learning, with owner's help, to find exercises that get the best out of him. Lots of walk/canter/ walk gets his weight behind and his shoulders up, on a circle it helps me stop him going out through his shoulder and improves the quality of his trot to the extent I'm finding it easier to sit to his rather big bouncy movement which then improves his lateral work. my 2x weekly pilates is definitely helping me get stronger and straighter too which is helping me give clearer aids.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Sneaking in at the last minute before next week's thread starts..... Sorry I haven't had much to post recently, but I picked Maddie up again after a short break over Christmas/New Year and she feels like she has never been away. Last week we had a session with Andy Thomas - as I had only got back in the saddle a couple of days earlier, Andy loosened me off before I got on. Maddie stood like an angel while I was prone on the physio table - all the desensitisation work we do is really paying off. I rode for a little while with Andy observing. Then Andy added some tape to help open my hips (my left one gets particularly tight), and I rode again. The difference was noticeable, and Maddie also started relaxing more and swinging over her back as I was no longer so tight when riding. I had a couple of achy days afterwards, but so worth it. Our regular trainer has the tape, so that will no doubt come out again soon.

Yesterday we had an in hand clinic with Diane Thurnan-Baker. The last clinic we did with Di was a few months ago, and that was the first time that we started work using two reins, instead of a single one from the cavesson. It has taken a while for both of us to get used to this, coordination on my part especially! But Di could see that we have been doing our homework, and the travers, half pass and walk pirouettes are gradually coming together. We finished the session with Di working with Maddie on the start of piaffe work. Once Maddie stopped overreacting to the whip touching her hindquarters, she did a few nice steps, so we left it there. Clever little mare!

Today we had our saddle checked by our lovely saddler. She really is a master at her craft, and I am always amazed how different, and correct!, it feels after she has worked her magic. All of a sudden I can actually feel my legs dropping down where they should be, instead of trying to 'fit' where the saddle was putting me.

A few photos from last week's session. Looking at them now I can see that I was 'fighting' the saddle trying to sit correctly.

272030168_2214260048713010_8963527213986963124_n.png

272045848_2214259612046387_9090291767395849463_n.png

272025453_2214259865379695_7633873324397507869_n.png

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
As expected, no riding over the weekend but our clinic yesterday was fab. We had a flat with lesson follow by a pole lesson. Henry has had the better post of a week off so it took a while to get him to soften but when he did he had some lovely work. Now he’s getting strong again he is so much more adjustable and his paces feel really great. The pole work lesson was great for us as well, told me I need to get more accurate with my aides!

Coolie had a vet appointment on Tuesday to see where he is at soundness wise since he is 19. The vet was very pleased with how good he looked given his age and he has some changes in his hocks consistent with his age. He’s had his hocks injected and I’ll hop on him tomorrow to see how he feels. The vet was pretty certain he would be happily jumping in the years to come.
A8CB01E8-285C-43E4-B999-8F5CD766B748.jpeg