Weekend plans?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
No horsey plans for me this week 😩

I am loving riding at new RS though. On hack last week I mentioned I'd love to learn to long line. Instructor was up for that so next week we're doing groundwork and lunging. Also discussed future dressage opportunities there (in person and e-rider) so that's exciting. I've got too many goals and not enough horse time I think!

Later in month hoping to watch Cirencester Park BE and might put myself forward to write for dressage at Oxtalls, so if anyone HHO is there competing I'll give a cheer and a wave. Maybe not while I'm writing though 😂

millitiger

Visit site
No horsey plans this weekend for us, I'm just back from a work trip to Dublin.

However, we did get our wildcard through for the Area Festival Champs 🥳 now to decide if we're going to go!

This weekend will be hacking, his favourite thing in the world!

Bottomless brunch for me tomorrow and then being a dutiful daughter and taking parents out for mother's day on Sunday.

Good luck all!

millitiger

Visit site
@millitiger - congratulations on the wildcard!!

Not a lot on here as I've got friends visiting from Oz then good old Mother's Day. Next week's more exciting though as I'm off to Turville for a clinic with the Thurman-Bakers Tuesday-Thursday :D

Oh exciting!
Have you been before? I would love to see a report if you're able as I'm very tempted to book!

Kirstd33

Visit site
Not a great deal of horsing round this weekend again for the 3 weekend running, coblet thinks he's retired. Will drag him out tomorrow for a gentle hack to see how he's moving and then do some in-hand groundwork and poles on Sunday. I have booked a place on a local liberty clinic in a few weeks so excited about that.

monte1

Visit site
Fairly busy one for me. My older horse, Max, has had a foot abscess all week, all sorted now and my fabulous farrier is popping shoe back on early tomorrow, then i am off to visit my homebred "Ollie", who is now rising 4 (where did the time go!) I dropped him off last Saturday for 2 weeks boot camp for some formal backing and riding away by a lovely event rider local to me, Sunday early AM I am dressage writing at Tweseldown for their first event of the season, back home for a Mothers Day, Sunday lunch, cooked by DD. then hopefully some relaxation before work again on Monday!

j1ffy

Visit site
Oh exciting!
Have you been before? I would love to see a report if you're able as I'm very tempted to book!

I went about a year ago when Chilli was recovering from bone bruising in both front hooves, so we only did in-hand work. Really lovely place, very relaxed clinic with just 4 people each time and great tuition. The Thurman-Bakers are incredibly kind and generous with their knowledge and home. I'm planning to mix up in-hand and ridden this time and maybe a hack through the beautiful valley.

ETA - classic Friday distraction from work I went to look through my old posts. Turns out I did a report a year ago as you'd asked then as well 🤣. https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/last-weekend-of-march-plans.827509/page-2

dapple_grey

Visit site
I'm taking one out to a XC clear round tomorrow morning at Dallas Burston Polo Club. You pick your height as you go round which is ideal as not sure how she'll take to it! Then on Sunday I'm taking the other out with the Readyfield Bloodhounds - very excited! We've had lots of cancellations due to the weather so trying to fit this in before the weather changes again next week 🤞

oldie48

Visit site
Accompanied friend to an Eventer Challenge yesterday, not much use handling the horses, too big, too fit and too hot for a little old granny but I can still make myself useful when there are 2 horses in different classes and both need to dressage before the first jumps! I also did the videoing. 6 year old mare by the late Party Trick (such a sad loss and there are few of his progeny around), she's home bred out of a "Take it to The Limit" mare. Fab paces with a stonking walk and loads of scope. Lovely relaxed test considering there's an awful lot to look at at this venue and popped round the metre course clear, definitely ready to move up a level. Second horse, a homebred gelding who is full brother to the first mare's dam. He's a 9 year old who had done well at novice, moved up to intermediate then needed a bit of time off so he did the 1.10m course. Great test despite the racket going on outside the arena and he can be a bit spooky! He also jumped clear showing huge scope, he's clearly back on form. So pleased for my friend as they won both classes with 69.25% and 74.25% respectively, bad form I know but I thought the mare's marks were a little mean (but I may be biased). I'm hoping the season gets off to a decent start for friend, it can be so difficult to plan the season as an amateur rider when events are cancelled or you get balloted out etc. We need some dry weather!

Squeak

Visit site
I'm taking one out to a XC clear round tomorrow morning at Dallas Burston Polo Club. You pick your height as you go round which is ideal as not sure how she'll take to it! Then on Sunday I'm taking the other out with the Readyfield Bloodhounds - very excited! We've had lots of cancellations due to the weather so trying to fit this in before the weather changes again next week 🤞

I'll be really interested to hear what the ground is like at Dallas Burston as it could be useful for a bit xc experience in the future.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Sounds like some great plans.

We have had a wonderful weekend. Indoor training went well, and was great to get the rust off and nerves out of the way. Very pleased with our rounds, each one was better than the last and cmae away feeling much more cnfident.

Yesterday dressage club was very useful. Need to work harder to not have my posotion blocking Henry but he is going from strength to strength on the flat. I was very please with his work.

Today we were at the first comp of the season for us - SJ. Our first round at 60 was good. Jumps felt too small, result! We had a rail, just got a bit slow and deep into a double, plus small jumps = minimal effort. The 70 was really good. Henry was listening so well and really off my aids. He had a rail when his mother asked him to wait instead of moving up tot he jump, but at least I made a decision instead of sittong there like a muppet. I can make a better choice next time. Again a great confidence boost. I feel excited about this season!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't really go into the weekend with plans so much with my youngster. We kind of just do what feels right. So today that was long lining in a huge outdoor school for the first time. Horses are turned out next to it and it's just huge. So it would test our steering, which is a work in progress.

It wasn't too shabby though, and we did some walk and trot. A few steering miscommunications here and there, but it's only his 2nd time long lining with a bit.

He did a big spook/forward scoot when a metal sign blew in the wind and banged against the metal fence just as we passed it, but he stopped, and I didn't go water skiing, so it wasn't too bad 🤣

He was also pretty good about bridling today, which is also newer to him. We started out bitless.

Although I don't really ask for anything, I did see him stretch down and forward to the bit for a brief moment. Work in progress and will ultimately be helpful toward starting him under saddle.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Our arena eventing report. The warm up was interesting, my mare is turning 6 this year but only been in one other warm up which was very quiet. This was manic, she was trotting sideways, struggling to concentrate etc. Managed to get a stretchy walk. Refused all the warm up jumps.. someone said to my boyfriend ‘does it even jump’ as I walked into the main ring!

She jumped clear! I trotted her several times to keep her calm and myself in control, so didn’t place due to being too slow. She didn’t nap, she’s much happier in space without other horses (very much a people horse, she is on a herd but not fussed by other horses)

Got some lovely photos, will share one. I think next place we go to I’ll warm her up outside the warm up arena and then just pop the odd jump. IMG_4184.jpeg

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Our arena eventing report. The warm up was interesting, my mare is turning 6 this year but only been in one other warm up which was very quiet. This was manic, she was trotting sideways, struggling to concentrate etc. Managed to get a stretchy walk. Refused all the warm up jumps.. someone said to my boyfriend ‘does it even jump’ as I walked into the main ring!

She jumped clear! 🥳🥳 I trotted her several times to keep her calm and myself in control, so didn’t place due to being to slow. She didn’t nap, she’s much happier in space without other horses (very much a people horse, she is on a herd but not fussed by other horses)

Got some lovely photos, will share one. I think next place we go to I’ll warm her up outside the warm up arena and then just pop the odd jump. View attachment 135627
Well done - mine is a similar age and warm ups are blowing his mind to the extent I went into a dressage test recently having not warmed up at all

humblepie

Visit site
We ventured out showing on Saturday. Hated the first part of the drive as due to roadworks took a different route and the road surface was horrendous. OH tells me that we get the worst of it as the cab is over the wheels and the horse stands between the axles so it is much better there but hate bad road surfaces.

My plaits which are normally good really didn't want to stay put and horse was definitely behind in his coat to some, but he managed two qualifications which was fab as decent classes. Caught up with people we haven't seen for ages so that was nice.

Realised I need to do more work on my presentation of horse and also to get fitter.

Slept most of yesterday!

Well done all on various outings. Some lovely photos.