Weeker Rein

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk

Does your horse have a weeker rein? If so in what way?
Arch is worse on the right rein but he is improving every day and last night we finally got some decent results.
I just want to no that Im not the only one struggleing with one rein I guess!

Stoxx

Visit site
Yep, Osc is weaker to the left but that is due to the fact that he has a slightly wonky hindleg that causes some muscle tightening over a period of time, so he tries to preserve himself and doesn't want to stretch through his outside shoulder on the left rein.
Glad to hear you are getting some better results!

Harvers

Visit site
Yes mine do!!! I was told once that horses are handed aswell and geldings are predominently left handed i.e. worse on their right rein!! and Mares are predominently right handed! Not sure if this was true or someone trying to make me feel better!!! Mr T is worse on his right rein, much less balanced and tends to fall in without loads of support, Ebony is worse on her left, however she is just much more tense and spooky!! Rah is pretty good on both, but can fall out a bit on the left, but I think that is naughty, rather than something that is difficult for him, but he is older and more experienced and much more balanced!! Daisy is just a pain in the a*se no matter what rein!! horrible horse! I think Harvey is pretty equal, but he has just had a year off and I have only just started working him again, so I probably just can't remember!! When I first started riding Jack he was very weak on his left no muscle whatsoever compared to right so he finds it very difficult! He has evened up a lot tho now!!! Oh for the perfect horse.....

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
All horses are weaker on one rein, than the other...but it's not gender linked, in my experience. Most horses are stiffer to the right...but then we spend a while bending them left when they are young and we're leading and working with them.
S
laugh.gif

kerilli

Visit site
agree with Shilasdair... we do most work from the lhs from birth onwards, so it's not surprising that most horses are left-sided. it is possible to get them pretty-much ambidextrous though, just takes loads of time and patience.

zoesophie

Visit site
Yeah Oscar struggles with the right rein, its only since his injury though, he struggles to use himself correctly in canter (walk and trot seem to be cracked now!) but we are working on it and it seems to be getting better and better.
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
agree with Shilasdair... we do most work from the lhs from birth onwards, so it's not surprising that most horses are left-sided. it is possible to get them pretty-much ambidextrous though, just takes loads of time and patience.

[/ QUOTE ]

If 'dex' means hand, shouldn't that be ambi-hoof-strous?
Just a thought, although not a useful one, I admit.
S
laugh.gif

Angua2

Visit site
Sid is finally balanced on both, but her was always dodgy on his left rein. Ru is really struggling with anything on the right rein, so much so that she cannot canter on this rein!