Weeping Eye?

casskerf

New User
Visit site
My horse is a tb/paint with blue eyes (one with black around it, one with nothing). In the summer I noticed that she had a weeping eye (eye with nothing around it). Once she had a fly mask on it seemed to get better so I didnt worry. But recently it has gotten to the point where its crusty and hard with a yellow ish type substance. If i tried to clean it, it doesn't work because it has stuck to her fur/skin and i dont want to rip at it because it is right by/ on her tearduct. I have soaked with warm water on a towel and it's still hard to remove. She doesnt seem in pain from it but I am still concerned.

Could it be that this eye is more sensitive because it is bare? Her other eye NEVER waters at all unless there is actually dust or something in it. I know she has sensitive skin because she sunburns very badly on he muzzle (pink skin with only a medicine hat as a marking)

Please let me know if there is anything I should do before getting the vet!

I would post a picture but I'm not sure how because I am new to the forums lol

Thank you

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
We have one with similar problems. It is the pink skin that causes the problem. We make sure she always wears a mask when it is sunny which helps and bathe the eyes with warm saline regularly. This keeps normally keeps it at bay and we use Golden eye ointment if it starts looking sore. I think she'll always have problems but keeping on top of it with gentle daily bathing seems to work best.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My horse is a tb/paint with blue eyes (one with black around it, one with nothing). In the summer I noticed that she had a weeping eye (eye with nothing around it). Once she had a fly mask on it seemed to get better so I didnt worry. But recently it has gotten to the point where its crusty and hard with a yellow ish type substance. If i tried to clean it, it doesn't work because it has stuck to her fur/skin and i dont want to rip at it because it is right by/ on her tearduct. I have soaked with warm water on a towel and it's still hard to remove. She doesnt seem in pain from it but I am still concerned.

Could it be that this eye is more sensitive because it is bare? Her other eye NEVER waters at all unless there is actually dust or something in it. I know she has sensitive skin because she sunburns very badly on he muzzle (pink skin with only a medicine hat as a marking)

Please let me know if there is anything I should do before getting the vet!

I would post a picture but I'm not sure how because I am new to the forums lol

Thank you

Please get the vet to look at it and prescribe antibiotics. You can't take risk with eyes when Uviitis / Ulcers and more can occur.

Till you get a diagnosis keep the fly hood on in sunny / windy days and keep the mask clean.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It could be something to do with the tear duct, but take it seriously. I think this would be worth letting the vet take a look. You can also bathe eyes in cooled tea, with has a mild antispectic action and can clear up very mild infections cause by flies.

AmieeT

Visit site
This happened with a friends pony, I don't remember exactly what the vet said but was something to do with the horsey sinuses- a blockage from of of the channels (I'm pretty sure it was something nasal)- possibly this? Sounds very similar, but I'm definitely no vet!

Scatterbrain

Visit site
It could be something simple like a blocked tear duct which a vet can easily flush out. However, could also be a sign of something more serious, so definately get your vet to examine.

casskerf

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone, the vet is coming in tomorrow to do other horses teeth so she will also check my horse while she is there. Hopefully it's nothing too serious!

delly&zo

Visit site
Hi, curious to know what your vet said ? Our mare has always had a mucky eye we clean it 2/3 times a day using Barrier eye & nose cleaner on a cotton pad, it's soothing and she'll stand for ages having it done. The vet said most likely a blocked tear duct but this is not straight forward to sort so probably best to keep doing what we're doing.

Scatterbrain

Visit site
Hi, curious to know what your vet said ? Our mare has always had a mucky eye we clean it 2/3 times a day using Barrier eye & nose cleaner on a cotton pad, it's soothing and she'll stand for ages having it done. The vet said most likely a blocked tear duct but this is not straight forward to sort so probably best to keep doing what we're doing.
I'm curious as to why your vet said a blocked tear duct is not straight forward to treat?
It took my vet less than 10 minutes to insert a tube up my youngster's nostril, flush the tear duct with fluid and out popped a hay seed. Watery eye disappeared instantly.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would always get the vet with an eye issue. Especially one that keeps coming back. Hate to depress you, but my friend's horse had a repetitive weeping eye all summer, and has just had to have it removed.. Hope its nothing in your case.

casskerf

New User
Visit site
The vet said it could be a blocked tear duct but not sure yet. She gave me some Polysporin for eyes to put on the tear duct for a week to see if it clears things up. So far it has been working very well. It is applied in the morning by barn staff and then I do it again in the evening. The vet said that if it doesnt clear up with this then she most likely has a blockage that we will get cleared. But so far so good! And my horse is really good about it being applied-although she is quite squirmy.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Having read this thread, I started to think about my horse. He has an eye which weeps everyday, and he has had it since I bought him. At his vetting, the vet said that he could treat it (I think he said with steriods) but that it wasn't at all serious so it seemed a bit extreme. A year and a half later, and his eye still weeps, only a tiny bit. The only sign is that there is a slightly crusty residue when I see him in the morning, the eye looks absolutely fine and there is no additional ooze. Just wondering if you thought there is any obvious treatment I could give him to see if it clears up. It's obviously not an infection... any ideas?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My filly has been diagnosed with blocked tear ducts. The vet thought she had had 'fly eye' and this caused it. I'm going to get her tear ducts flushed, but I'm feeling a bit revolted by the idea. The vet said something about steroids being part of the treatment.

claribella

Visit site
I would efo get the vet out but just to add my mare had a weepy eye that nothing worked for it. I tried vet stuff, golden eye ointment, tea bags worked ok but Id have to wipe every day or two. I started her on turmeric for her joints and not only did her whole way of going get better but her eye cleared up and so did her sarcoid. Id definitely give it a whirl:)

Gracem

New User
Visit site
My horses eyes started weeping a couple of weeks ago and they are still continuing to do so , why is this happening and how to I stop it

Reacher

Visit site
My horses eyes started weeping a couple of weeks ago and they are still continuing to do so , why is this happening and how to I stop it

Could be a corneal ulcer, my horse had a weepy eye and was an ulcer, safest to get the vet out

applecart14

Visit site
My horse gets a weepy eye, usually in summer and its due to the flies worrying him and his eye itches so he rubs his eye inflamming it and then it weeps more. Vicious circle. I try to keep a fly mask on but sometimes he rubs his eye after a ride, on his leg or on a hay net, and that makes it sore. I guess its only like us rubbing our eyes because they itch.

If he wasn't able to open it, or was trying to resent you looking at it then I would call the vet out without hesitation. Last time he half shut his eye to rest it in the dark of the stable, but as soon as he was outside he opened it and was alert and bright eyed so I didn't see it as an issue.

Obviously you know your own animal and know if its in pain or not.

Last edited:

Beausmate

Visit site
It could be down to fly worry, but I would give your vet a ring.

Eye problems can be very serious, it's better to know for sure what the problem is.