WEG. Cross country course

caladria

Visit site
Thanks. I'd say they're missing Chris Bartle

I'd say they were missing two things - experienced horses and Michi Jung! If he and Fischerrocana were there, they'd almost certainly have another 25ish score to add to Ingrid's and they'd be sitting in 4th place as a team instead of 6th, and right behind Ireland and France.

But instead, they had to sub Sandra Auffarth's inexperienced 9 year old in, and push Andreas Dibowski's 9 year old (who only has 1 x CCI3* to her name!) up into the team position - and by the time Andreas went as third team rider, they'd got Julia and Chipmunk's 20 pens on board so I'm guessing he was under team orders to get his totally inexperienced horse the hell round safely because Olympic qualification is more important than medals.

Then you include Chipmunk, and you realise that three out of the five German horses are ten years old or under and have never done a 4* (and the course was 4* length to 3* dimensions I think?).

Compare that to the Brits, where 4 out of 5 horses have multiple good completions at 4* and you've got to wonder whether it's actually the horse selection, not the training, however nice it would be to think that the Brits have stolen the gander that lays the golden medals.

Mule

Visit site
I'd say they were missing two things - experienced horses and Michi Jung! If he and Fischerrocana were there, they'd almost certainly have another 25ish score to add to Ingrid's and they'd be sitting in 4th place as a team instead of 6th, and right behind Ireland and France.

But instead, they had to sub Sandra Auffarth's inexperienced 9 year old in, and push Andreas Dibowski's 9 year old (who only has 1 x CCI3* to her name!) up into the team position - and by the time Andreas went as third team rider, they'd got Julia and Chipmunk's 20 pens on board so I'm guessing he was under team orders to get his totally inexperienced horse the hell round safely because Olympic qualification is more important than medals.

Then you include Chipmunk, and you realise that three out of the five German horses are ten years old or under and have never done a 4* (and the course was 4* length to 3* dimensions I think?).

Compare that to the Brits, where 4 out of 5 horses have multiple good completions at 4* and you've got to wonder whether it's actually the horse selection, not the training, however nice it would be to think that the Brits have stolen the gander that lays the golden medals.

I'd forgotten about Michi :eek: Those German horses will be much more experienced come the Olympics. Ah, let's enjoy the result :biggrin3:

lannerch

Visit site
I still think whatever Chris bartle touches turns to gold, suspect if he had still been in charge either he would have found more experienced horses or he would have insured the inexperienced ones were totally prepared!
And would have never tried the direct water fountain route on the second water!

Kai ruders horse was experienced, billy the red ( ok not a team horse ) was not.

Germany do have Micky GB also have ( love him or hate him ) Olly.

Last edited:

caladria

Visit site
I'd forgotten about Michi :eek: Those German horses will be much more experienced come the Olympics. Ah, let's enjoy the result :biggrin3:

Well, you say that...

The Germans had to sub in an untested 9 year old once Rocana was out of the question.

Not to bring up a sore point for anyone, but if the GB team had had a late injury, then it's fairly well discussed that the team had, what, four horses with 4* podiums and wins ready and waiting in the wings? Plus a bronze medal winning horse out from injury in Bulana (I'm still convinced that Bulana would have been in the team instead of the inexperienced Quarrycrest Echo without the injury).

That lack of depth is probably still going to be there for Germany in two years, even if all Michi's (FischerTakinou etc) are up and running. Hopefully GB's breadth will stay.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet :D

edit for the above post: Chris Bartle has been VERY public that while he advises the selection panel, he has no casting vote there. They've come in for a lot of flack this summer, let's give that panel the credit they deserve for selecting five cracking cross country horses with the experience needed for a clear around a championship course.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I watched it for hours on the Red Button, so I can't really complain about the coverage.

It would have been very interesting if all competitors had had to jump up a waterfall, or the alternative route had been massively time consuming. (Wasn't there a waterfall at Burghley a few years ago, that they had to jump over?). I know that course designers are under huge pressure to get everyone home safely, and get a result - which Mark Philips obviously did, well done - but there were so many fences with alternatives that were not jumped, what a waste of materials and thought.

I know there were faults, but really the overall standard was pretty good and all the competitors seemed very positive and rode well, mostly, there weren't the scenes as in the past. Think of a really difficult fence like the corners, virtually all the competitors took this on and rode it well.

Obviously the terrain and going was a big factor, and two fences were withdrawn, I believe. In the end the weather was much better than forecast.

lannerch

Visit site
Both injured horses are being treated for soft tissue injuries. There doesn't seem to be any more information.
And probably considering how lame they were even when the adrenaline was high, career ending.
Fingers crossed that is not the case , I loved the honest grey who was stopped on course he was a real gem .

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Was watching it on I player all this evening, paused it to watch body guard now getting unknown error managed to briefly get it to play but it has gone all the way back to the start now it just won't load really annoying.

I wanted to alternative to the water cascades to be much longer so more people had to attempt them, it looked like it was some of the smaller nations who did best there.

Mule

Visit site
And probably considering how lame they were even when the adrenaline was high, career ending.
Fingers crossed that is not the case , I loved the honest grey who was stopped on course he was a real gem .

Soft tissue injury can mean anything really. Very serious or hopefully not so serious.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I watched it for hours on the Red Button, so I can't really complain about the coverage.

It would have been very interesting if all competitors had had to jump up a waterfall, or the alternative route had been massively time consuming. (Wasn't there a waterfall at Burghley a few years ago, that they had to jump over?). I know that course designers are under huge pressure to get everyone home safely, and get a result - which Mark Philips obviously did, well done - but there were so many fences with alternatives that were not jumped, what a waste of materials and thought.

I know there were faults, but really the overall standard was pretty good and all the competitors seemed very positive and rode well, mostly, there weren't the scenes as in the past. Think of a really difficult fence like the corners, virtually all the competitors took this on and rode it well.

Obviously the terrain and going was a big factor, and two fences were withdrawn, I believe. In the end the weather was much better than forecast.

Are you thinking of the sunken water? Was used in the early 2000s and unfortunately there was a fatality at that fence (which I witnessed was aweful) plus blythe tait broke his leg at that fence, after that they didn't use a fence like that again so I'm surprised to see it a MP course.

hobo

Visit site
We were lucky enough to be there . The weather wasn’t nearly as bad as forecast , a few showers but they didn’t last long . When the first few went round in time we thought it was going to be easy but that hill certainly caught a few . Very proud of the brits . And yes that underpass at the water jump was scarily low !

We are also here and the course was lovely and sorted out enough for the cream to rise. Yes it was a bit of a building site at one end but the rest of it was stunning. Very impressed with the Japan Team wish them well in the show jumping.
MM hope you have some spare time to be able to see the show jumping.

Mule

Visit site

Apparently the Swedish horse has injured a tendon

Garnet

Visit site
We are also here.
I have just watched quite a lot of the coverage on iplayer and I am intrigued by all the clumps of "leaves" all over the cross country track - what were they? I can't imagine dock leaves (or other well known horse eating varieties of foliage) being allowed to go unmown at Burghley or Blenheim!
Trivial question number 362 in an infinite series . . .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
We are also here and the course was lovely and sorted out enough for the cream to rise. Yes it was a bit of a building site at one end but the rest of it was stunning. Very impressed with the Japan Team wish them well in the show jumping.
MM hope you have some spare time to be able to see the show jumping.

Sadly no, I fly back on Monday ☹️. At least they’ve moved it forward to 10 am so will hopefully be able to watch on tv before I leave for airport.?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I have just watched quite a lot of the coverage on iplayer and I am intrigued by all the clumps of "leaves" all over the cross country track - what were they? I can't imagine dock leaves (or other well known horse eating varieties of foliage) being allowed to go unmown at Burghley or Blenheim!
Trivial question number 362 in an infinite series . . .

They were little potted shrubs . The xc course was previously a golf course and they were I think covering drain covers .

Orangehorse

Visit site
Are you thinking of the sunken water? Was used in the early 2000s and unfortunately there was a fatality at that fence (which I witnessed was aweful) plus blythe tait broke his leg at that fence, after that they didn't use a fence like that again so I'm surprised to see it a MP course.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Fiona

Visit site
Ah, I didn't know that.

There was a waterfall fence within the trout hatchery complex 3 or 4 years ago, which jumped well as I remember, only a few horses took exception.

The sunken water fence I don't remember seeing, but have heard it discussed. As someone said, it was in early 2000's.

Fiona

Mule

Visit site

The Swedish horse was PTS. It developed circulatory problems after the initial injury.

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
Tragic,sometimes I feel we are doing wrong by our horses, expecting them to risk their lives to entertain us.Don't get me wrong,I love watching xc, and I know it can happen in the field just pratting about,but still..

ihatework

Visit site
Tragic,sometimes I feel we are doing wrong by our horses, expecting them to risk their lives to entertain us.Don't get me wrong,I love watching xc, and I know it can happen in the field just pratting about,but still..

It’s really sad, RIP Box Qutie and condolences to all connections. And I understand your sentiment, it’s something I regularly play over in my mind myself as a lifelong eventing fan. I think I justify it to myself that when you have been close to top flight horses and see how much (the majority) if them absolutely love the game of xc, then whilst a catastrophic injury is heartbreaking it occurs at a time when the horse is at its peak job.
What is more concerning to me is trying to force a horse that doesn’t really love the job (there are a few), or gambling their life when you know they are on the brink of breaking down (which also happens in the sport).

lannerch

Visit site
The Swedish horse was PTS. It developed circulatory problems after the initial injury.

So sorry to read that life can be tragic.
I thought at the time when it was posted almost as if it’s all right they both sustained soft tissue injuries except it’s often not alright as they can prove as bad as broken bones , sadly the case here .

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

I'm really sad to read that, he was a lovely horse. When he pulled up, my stomach churned as it looked very much like the injury that a horse sustained at Hickstead earlier this year, and he was PTS too. Rest in peace Box Qutie.