WEG Cross Country Thread

nannubu

Visit site
Telling, I agree. :D

What surprises me is just how tired some of those horses are, and obviously so far from home. Would it be unrealistic to find horses, AT THAT LEVEL, to be super fit?

For all of that, I really fancy that mare Annie Clover. She can come and live with me tomorrow, and be pregnant, forever!

Alec.

Yes, nice to see a proper Irish horse doing well; quite a different build from those very rangy, lean types.

only_me

Visit site
I think the horses are super fit, but the ground is taking a lot out of them and it is question after question jumping wise on a very undulating course, so very little let up for the horses. The horses with more tb in them are finding it easier than the heaveir ones but it is still taking a lot out of them imo :)

khalswitz

Visit site
NW has an absolutely cracker of a new ride, One Two Many - watched it win the CIC*** at Blair, Nicola has got it going fab XC, but this one actually could do pure dressage too according to the trainers... One to watch, I think. (Can you tell I was doing a lot of gossiping in the bar with various people at Blair?)

armchair_rider

Visit site
I think the horses are super fit, but the ground is taking a lot out of them and it is question after question jumping wise on a very undulating course, so very little let up for the horses. The horses with more tb in them are finding it easier than the heaveir ones but it is still taking a lot out of them imo :)

I wonder if they were prepared for the competition thinking that the XC wouldn't be that influential and thus the fitness was geared towards the dressage/SJ?

nannubu

Visit site
Lol - love the commentators' disapproval of the French rider punching the air to rev up the crowd :) :) A lot of disapproving sighing...

only_me

Visit site
I wonder if they were prepared for the competition thinking that the XC wouldn't be that influential and thus the fitness was geared towards the dressage/SJ?

I would assume though that the majority of horses would have been aimed for burghley though if they hadnt have been picked for weg? Not sure!

khalswitz

Visit site
Yes that horse was cracking at Blair

If NW can get it going XC like she tends to with her rides, and it can get good DR scores (think it scored a 35 and a 37 in CIC *** classes this year, as well as sub 30's in BE classes), she could have a real title winner on her hands... she sure deserves it!

Kadastorm

Visit site
Love that French rider, he was having a whale of a time. Screw the commentators, the fans loved it and so did he and his horse appeared to aswell!

armchair_rider

Visit site
I would assume though that the majority of horses would have been aimed for burghley though if they hadnt have been picked for weg? Not sure!

Seems likely - at least so far as the combinations that were likely to get a run at Burghley were concerned. But the same comments might apply with regard to the relative influence of the XC (though I think you'd still want the horse very fit because it'll be a big long course even if it isn't that influential).

I've just seen the course has some plastic cows on it. Let us hope there are no horses with a cow phobia competing

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
Mypegasus, i agree, surprised to say the least.
Oliie lookinng good on Black tie

Will be interesting to see if any of the other teams put in an objection re Ingrid. Would be good to see the diagram of the fence, and a replay of Ingrid's route

Poor Ollie, shame but looking after the horse. Looks disappointed, but a few years ago he might have pushed on and come a cropper

armchair_rider

Visit site
If NW can get it going XC like she tends to with her rides, and it can get good DR scores (think it scored a 35 and a 37 in CIC *** classes this year, as well as sub 30's in BE classes), she could have a real title winner on her hands... she sure deserves it!

That would be good. At least it looks like she won't end up being a one horse wonder - I always feel sorry for the people that happens to (plus it's a shame to lose an experienced person from team contention).

Ollie T retiring - looks the best decision. Still showed a lot of potential though.

teapot

Visit site
Seems likely - at least so far as the combinations that were likely to get a run at Burghley were concerned. But the same comments might apply with regard to the relative influence of the XC (though I think you'd still want the horse very fit because it'll be a big long course even if it isn't that influential).

I've just seen the course has some plastic cows on it. Let us hope there are no horses with a cow phobia competing

They could be as fit as they could be and still tire over a course that undulating and sticky.

khalswitz

Visit site
That would be good. At least it looks like she won't end up being a one horse wonder - I always feel sorry for the people that happens to (plus it's a shame to lose an experienced person from team contention).

Ollie T retiring - looks the best decision. Still showed a lot of potential though.

Well AFAIK the plan is for it to go to Pau, so I'm gonna be watching...

Feel sorry for Ollie, but right decision to make there.

Lexi_

Visit site
Will be interesting to see if any of the other teams put in an objection re Ingrid. Would be good to see the diagram of the fence, and a replay of Ingrid's route

Poor Ollie, shame but looking after the horse. Looks disappointed, but a few years ago he might have pushed on and come a cropper

Yup, he's matured, hasn't he? Lovely to see him jump straight off and look after the horse.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Would love to know the explanation for Ingrid not being awarded 20 penalties for that first water, as really did look as though shed crossed her tracks. But no jumping penalties!

Ingrid has been given penalties now.

Oh no...they've gone again :confused: