WEG

Mule

Visit site
Ooh Ireland 2nd and Japan in 4th. I'm glad for Japan. It's nice to see a non traditional eventing country do well.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm curious why there seems to be little response on here to the omnishambles that was WEG Endurance!

Same! I also can't believe that more hasn't been said about the Endurance horse that died and this:

"FEI vet director Goran Akerstrom added that 53 horses were treated in the vet clinic, 52 for metabolic issues. Of these, 32 needed intravenous fluids and two suffered minor colic but recovered quickly."

From this article https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/20-year-old-horse-put-weg-endurance-664825#eejkUMVobrDvfG2b.99

I'm not sure if it's just me being ignorant but to me this sounds appalling, yet there's been very little mentioned about it.

spookypony

Visit site
Same! I also can't believe that more hasn't been said about the Endurance horse that died and this:

"FEI vet director Goran Akerstrom added that 53 horses were treated in the vet clinic, 52 for metabolic issues. Of these, 32 needed intravenous fluids and two suffered minor colic but recovered quickly."

From this article https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/20-year-old-horse-put-weg-endurance-664825#eejkUMVobrDvfG2b.99

I'm not sure if it's just me being ignorant but to me this sounds appalling, yet there's been very little mentioned about it.

It was certainly making waves on Endurance groups! Not so much the dead horse, which of course is appalling, but more the extreme number of horses needing vet help at all, combined with the false start and then the cancellation on the last loop of the whole event!

The consensus so far, albeit working with limited information, seems to be that some of it is faults in the organisation and running of the event, and some of it is faults of riders not riding to conditions (which surprises no one in the discipline)...we are all awaiting the stats to see if we can find out if there is a pattern, and if our suspicions are confirmed.

The discipline needs serious changes, and the FEI needs to grow a backbone.