Weighing up whats best

Oldernewbie

Visit site
Hi H&H’ers. I’d welcome any thoughts on my current situation.
My horse is 16 and I’ve owned her for 3.5 years. 6 months into owning her she sustained a serious collateral ligament injury to one of her feet. In the process of working her up she was found to have coffin joint arthritis in both feet, several impinging vertebrae (not obviously symptomatic or severe) arthritis in her neck and I already knew she had hock arthritis.

In the mix of all this she also slightly later developed a severe sinus infection and abnormalities were found (structural, not related to teeth) on the MRI which vet advised against investigating further unless it flared up again (so far it hasn’t).

She went to a lovely rehab yard and in general Has loved life and done well there. She is occasionally ridden in walk and does inhand but not for a few months due to my own health.
Anyway, I’m not sure she’s ever come properly sound on her injured foot although she was not obviously lame.

The last few weeks I’ve noticed she seems ‘careful’ and ‘short’ I think on the opposite foot. Nothing obviously wrong with the hoof or lower leg, no heat or abscess, of course we are watching her carefully and if this persists will get the vet out.

But my question is, might I be approaching the end? She has had a great deal of veterinarian intervention in the three years I’ve owned her, she is now uninsurable and I’ve used up all my savings to care for her. My OH has funds and would help but honestly I’m not sure its fair or right of me to ask him.

My thinking is, whatever it is its not likely to be particularly treatable but more relevant is that I think I myself may be at the end of the road.

I haven’t made any decisions but needed to write all this out and gauge what other horse owners think? I hope thats ok.

Alibear

Visit site
You could well be correct, but it could also be something simple. My retirees have a sort of no-heroics clause, so they see the vet, and if there's a simple treatment to try, we go with that. The moment operations, somewhat invasive treatment or long periods of box rest start being mentioned, I make the call.
Hopefully its something easily fixed.

Ratface

Visit site
Do you trust your vet not to use you as a cash cow? If so, ask her/him what his professional opinion is about your mare being comfortable with medication.
If her/his answer is no or "guarded", I would make a big fuss of her and arrange a near date to pts.

meleeka

Visit site
If she isn't on bute/danilon already, I would discuss that possibility with the vet but pts would not be wrong.

You could well be correct, but it could also be something simple. My retirees have a sort of no-heroics clause, so they see the vet, and if there's a simple treatment to try, we go with that. The moment operations, somewhat invasive treatment or long periods of box rest start being mentioned, I make the call.
Hopefully its something easily fixed.

The above is how it goes here too. My old mare has just started on 1/2 a Danilon. I’m happy to provide that, but wouldn’t put her through lengthy treatments or anything that requires ££ or going anywhere. I just think at her age (30) it would be putting off the inevitable, even though she’s amazing for her age. In my experience, the ailments eventually start building up and then you are kind of forced into a decision, for your own sanity as much as theirs.