Weight advice?

Chippers1

Visit site
Just reading through another thread and a comment about hollow flanks made me think...Buzz has some hollowing to his flanks and his hips are a bit pointy however you can't feel his ribs! Is there any way to balance this weight out...his neck is looking a little weedy too (as much as I try to work him over his back, the muscle doesn't seem to grow)

Just after some advice really. I try to keep him leaner but it only seems to be working in for half of him o_O
I've attached a pic I took yesterday (although it probably won't help, it was to show the mud!) and a couple from summer for comparison. It is just a winter thing? How does he look? (credit to emmpix for the photos below mine)
Screenshot_20190211-080142_Gallery.jpg
20190211_090409.jpg
20190211_090421.jpg

Screenshot_20190211-080533_Gallery.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
Thanks all! I was expecting worse comments ha. I have a bit of anxiety with health issues and weight issues, I constantly think i'm doing something wrong so I like to check. I wasn't like this with my previous pony who had a whole host of issues!
My old pony before I had him was hugely obese and once I had him slimmed down he developed EMS and had constant battles with lami from his previous fat life so i'm really wary of weight. He's in a lot less work currently - summer I managed 6 days a week, at the moment it's more like 4 with a lot of hacking rather than schooling so I do think he's lost some muscle tone. Definitely something to work with at least. Thanks again!

NiamhB

Visit site
He Looks fine to me ! just maybe a little loss of muscle but his current weight looks fine!
i think our perceptions of what an ideal horses weight is changing when we see so many overweight horses winning rosettes.
Of course different horses carry their weight in different parts of their body

Templebar

Visit site
I would say i'm surprised by the lack of tone in a horse doing 4 days a week of hacking. Mine are only worked roughly once to twice a week at the moment and i would say have more muscle tone than him, however mine live out on a banked field.

How much turnout does he get and how much time are you out for hacking. I agree that his weight seems fine.

Chippers1

Visit site
He doesn't seem to hold weight or muscle well which is why I was worried. My hacks are only 20mins or so because I have to get back before it gets dark and I can sometimes school for around 15 mins between lessons. Maybe I'm not riding him properly, what can I do to help his muscle tone?
He's out 24/7 On a slightly sloped field.