Weight carrying?

Blizzard

Visit site
How much weight would you say my welsh sec D can comfortably carry, she is 14.2hh, in good condition, good bone and limbs etc.

Im going to advertise for someone to ride her and I dont want to overburden her if I get a larger lady or man wanting to ride her.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thank you! ...hmm now its just judging peoples weight that is the issue!
laugh.gif

My partner is 14st and she carries him fine, its just nice to know you are not overburdening them!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hi welsh_cob,

My wife who has a D is always telling me how sturdy they are, and I can vouch for that judging from Hefn-Stars performance over some of the long rides we do carry loaded saddle bags etc., so much I agree with the above comments.

I've been meaning to send you some pics of HefnStar as you are obviously a big Welsh D fan.
Will have to do that later from the home PC.
A PM might be better for that.

Theresa_F

Visit site
My first OH used to ride a welsh D and he was nearly 16 stone, he only did hacking but Cracker used to often happily gallop off with him so didn't find him too heavy.

Mind you, Cracker was the old fashioned type and built like a brick sh*thouse
grin.gif

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hefn Star (plus my wife!) is on the left of my signature jpeg.
I have a fantastic picture of HS's sire Celyn Nathan on the home PC. Remind me if I forget to send you something!!

pottamus

Visit site
Hi I would say up to 15 stone easily depending on the work load and type.
TrecPeter - I am a Welsh D fan too and have one...could you post those pictures in the picture gallery...would love to see them too?!

riotgirl

Visit site
As JM7 says, a fit Section D really would not have problems with this weight. As my friend is fond of saying, they are used to carrying fat Welsh farmers up and down mountains! (Sorry to any Welsh farmers out there...!)

S_N

Visit site
When we lived in wales there were several Section D's that did full days hunting with chaps (& chapesses) of 15/16 stone. I know for a fact that one Sec. D stallion carried 18 stone out hunting no problem at all!

star

Visit site
my section D is 15.1hh and i weigh 14.5stone - he has not had a problem carrying me for anything i want to do. now i am riding a 14.3 version who again does not struggle. they were bred to be farmers rides - a proper stocky built old-fashioned type should have no problem carrying decent weight. some of the newer lighter types might struggle.