Weight gain cubes?

Bluesparks

Visit site
I have a 17h tb who has had a bad time, he's had a major sinus op which they had to go into twice following a kissing spine op the year before, he's never had chance to get back into work properly so lacks muscle anyway but since the start of winter he's not holding weight well, he's not stressy at the moment although he can be, but I just want to get some bulk weight on him, he has currently a large scoop of soaked baileys keep calm, 3/4 scoop of pure easy and half a scoop of baileys fibre nuggets twice a day, with half a mug of linseed meal also twice a day, any helpful suggestions welcome 😊

Louby

Visit site
I had great results with TopSpec Cool Condition Cubes with my last horse who I had to be careful what I fed. These did not affect his temperament at all. With a previous horse who lost loads of condition after moving yards, I fed him Alfa A, ReadyMash extra (the red bag) and high fibre cubes, again quite a sensitive horse but he regained his condition quite quickly.

WelshD

Visit site
I think I would increase the linseed and also divide the quantity of feed in to more meals per day, you dont mention hay/haylage but I would definitely up that if its not currently ad lib

cundlegreen

Visit site
I have a 17h tb who has had a bad time, he's had a major sinus op which they had to go into twice following a kissing spine op the year before, he's never had chance to get back into work properly so lacks muscle anyway but since the start of winter he's not holding weight well, he's not stressy at the moment although he can be, but I just want to get some bulk weight on him, he has currently a large scoop of soaked baileys keep calm, 3/4 scoop of pure easy and half a scoop of baileys fibre nuggets twice a day, with half a mug of linseed meal also twice a day, any helpful suggestions welcome ��

Have you actually weighed your feed? It's the only way to really see how much (or little) you are getting into your horse. What you are describing, doesn't sound very much to me for that size of TB. I have a similar problem with my 16.2 TB, and he is getting a great deal more than yours, currently feeding 7lbs of two sorts of nuts as well as grazeon and unmollassed suger beet, plus supplements. Still not carrying enough condition/muscle for my liking, and he's only in light work.

crazycoloured

Visit site
After reading all the raving reviews about linseed i decided to try it and it didnt work for mine despite being on it a while.the only one that seems to work is balanced show mix or baileys topline cubes

cundlegreen

Visit site
After reading all the raving reviews about linseed i decided to try it and it didnt work for mine despite being on it a while.the only one that seems to work is balanced show mix or baileys topline cubes

Another one who hasn't seen a difference feeding this, but it did make my horse very loose in his droppings. I found any high oil has the same effect, which is annoying when you are feeding for weight gain.

Kat

Visit site
I would increase the linseed, and definitely put an extra net of hay/haylage in a day.

Mine is a stress poor doer and she has, alfa a molasses free, coolstance copra, micronised linseed and a vitamin and mineral powder.

The copra is great, put loads more weight on her than beet and she is loves it which is great because she is fussy. I have given three feeds in previous winters to avoid making her feeds too big up so far this year she is looking good on two.

wench

Visit site
Sounds like you are feeding more than 2kg per feed, 2kg per feed is the maximum weight that a horse should have.

Baileys keep calm is reasonably high energy/protein levels, so if it suits him, I'd probably just try giving him three feeds of that per day, along with as much hay/haylage he can eat.

I've used linseed on various horses and have never found it any use whatsoever